US Mobile Mortars

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

US Mobile Mortars

Post by Slash78 »

Here are some articles about the mobile mortars being developed for the US Army and USMC.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/c/CARDOM.htm
http://www.defense-update.com/products/ ... n-fire.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... d/efss.htm

The first article is about the M1129 Stryker MC (mortar carrier).

The second is about the Marines 'Dragon Fire', aka the "LAV EFSS", which is none other then SRUnit #582, the MOWAG TDA 2R2M Mortar.

The third is about the Marines EFSS program. One thing that is interesting is Lockeed's entry in the program. The same mortar as on the Stryker MC, however on the Supacat HMT (4x4) chassis.
Lockheed Martin successfully test fired the company’s Expeditionary Fire Support System (EFSS) engineering prototype system at 29 Palms, Calif., in mid-August 2003. Using internal research and development funds, Lockheed Martin designed and built an engineering prototype solution for the Marine Corps EFSS requirement in four months. The self-propelled 120mm mortar system fired several rounds from various elevations and azimuths, including over the cab. The Lockheed Martin EFSS concept integrates the individual capabilities of a Supacat High Mobility Transport (HMT) vehicle, the Soltam 120mm recoil mortar system, and a weapon control system and Enhanced Tactical Computer from EFW. Fully integrating and embedding the crew positions, weapon and fire control systems with the vehicle provides tactically maneuverable fire support and rotary wing or tiltrotor transportability. This transformational configuration will enable the Marines to fire 120mm mortars mounted on their weapons carrier with “effects of fire” comparable to 155mm artillery.
And finally, a link to the Supacat HMT.

http://www.supacat.com/hmt%204x4.htm
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

General Dynamics Awarded Contract for New Marine Corps Expeditionary Weapon System

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has been awarded a contract for the design and development of a revolutionary new weapon system that is transported to the field within the V-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft. Awarded by the U.S. Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM) for development of the Expeditionary Fire Support System (EFSS), the contract has an initial value of $18 million and a potential value of approximately $300 million if initial production and fielding options are exercised. When fielded, the EFSS will provide the Marine Expeditionary Force with quick-response, highly lethal, indirect fire support.

The EFSS supplies accurate and immediately responsive short-range indirect fire coverage at ranges of 7 to 20 kilometers, supporting both of the Marine Corps’ fighting doctrines, the Ship-to-Objective Maneuver and the Operational Maneuver From the Sea.

The Marine Corps envisions the EFSS as the third "leg" of an Indirect Fires triad. The other two legs are the long-range High-Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS), with a firing range exceeding 45 kilometers; and the Joint Lightweight Howitzer M777, providing medium range coverage between 10 and 30 kilometers.

Michael S. Wilson, president of General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems, said, “We are very pleased to be selected by the Marine Corps for their EFSS solution and look forward to producing and fielding the entire EFSS system of vehicles, weapons, munitions, fire control and logistics support in full compliance with the MARCORSYSCOM program schedule.”

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems will be the EFSS systems integrator and will coordinate production and deliveries of the overall system from its EFSS partners. These partners include TDA Armaments SAS, a joint venture company of Thales Inc. and the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), for their RT 120 Rifled Mortar System; and American Growler Inc. of Ocala, Florida for all EFSS vehicles. Other General Dynamics teammates include General Dynamics Canada of Ottawa, for the EFSS ballistic fire control computers; and Tec-Masters Inc. of Huntsville, Ala., for integrated and contractor logistics support.

The General Dynamics EFSS solution is comprised of a prime mover vehicle, the RT 120 rifled towed mortar, an ammunition supply vehicle and an ammunition trailer. The prime mover tows the RT 120 rifled mortar, which is capable of firing a full family of 120mm rifled mortar rounds and all US smoothbore 120mm mortar ammunition to the range and deflections inherent in those projectiles. The ammunition trailer, which is towed by the ammunition supply vehicle, holds up to 36 mortar rounds in factory-recyclable steel containers.

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems is a world leader in the manufacture of large- and medium-caliber direct and indirect-fire munitions, bomb bodies and Ball Powder® propellant. The company also manufactures precision metal components; provides explosive load, assemble and pack services for a variety of munitions, tactical missile and rocket programs; and designs and produces shaped charge warheads and control actuator systems.
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

That would be the same mortar as on the Dragon Fire II/MOWAG TDA 120 Mortar, however towed by a small 'jeep-like' vehicle. Small enough to fit inside a V-22 Osprey. I'm trying to find info about the vehicle, however the company, American Growler Inc., doesn't seem to have a website (or at least not one I can find).
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I'll add it, but honestly, I don't think Mortars do much in the game :(

Not sure if anyone has tested them yet but range has such an impact in our game, it's hard to see them really doing much. Granted, they do hit area of effect and cause supression, but only into the next hex. Most mortars are not included in the game since they are intended to be part of the weapons various battalions use. We only do mortars for much larger vehicle types.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

Well, I have used mortars extensively and where there range doesn't mean that much, when used in close cooperation with advancing ground forces they seem to be fairly effective. They lack of stand off capability means I usual invest in alot of longer ranged artillery, however I rarely experence the problem of my mortars running low on ammo when my other artillery does. When they do, it usually means on the other units around it are out of ammo too.

Is there really no one else that uses heavy mortars but me?

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”