Am I playing this game the wrong way..HELP!

Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

BillSirKill
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Am I playing this game the wrong way..HELP!

Post by BillSirKill »

Bumblebee Warfare: I read all the forums, watched multiple youtubes.. I am totally intrigued with the effort put into the accuracy of the units. In other words, I love the concept. My issue: Every assault I've seen sets up like this: Send a bazillion of Inf/tanks..arty to a single point .. Draw a box around the whole lot - point to an OA - hit go! What we see is akin to a bumblebee swarm.

Is this the method always used? If not please advise or point me to some tutorials that explain actual military tactics that can be used in game.

This is an observation, this is not a dump on game session. I seriously wish to approach gameplay as realistically as possible. However, I seriously doubt that bumblebee warfare is practiced as is shown in all the videos.

Thanks for your help!
PVT B. Blanchard... Sim Fanatic!!
Fistalis
General

Re: Am I playing this game the wrong way..HELP!

Post by Fistalis »

It all comes down to play style, yes you can just use RTS style "Send all your units to objective", and many players do. There are others of us who actually take the time to manage units a bit more, putting Say tanks and infantry up front and Artillery in the back line and slowly moving the line, or using airdrops to capture points while land forces secure a supply route etc. It just depends on your personal play style. I think TK has a AAR where he did just about everything with missile warfare and had 0 unit losses his whole game if you wanna take this to extremes.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 54&t=15811
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
BillSirKill
Sergeant

Post by BillSirKill »

Thanks for the response... yes I had read the post with 0 losses.. So, you are saying that if I use "military tactics" .. The AI will not respond with my term bumblewarfare. I realize that it takes a lot of micromanagement.. but just as 0 losses is way too surreal.. so is throwing the kitchen sink at 'em.. My goal is to minimize losses and have a close to real experience as possible (from an armchair general point of view-of course).
Again Thanks..

Any other ideas from anyone?
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Depends on how you wish to play. You have seen the two extremes, Choose somthing in the middle. Sure the Zerg does save on time, But the calculated has a higher effeciency. So find someplace in the middle that has an acceptable game speed and an acceptable effeciency.
BillSirKill
Sergeant

Post by BillSirKill »

Ruges: I've read many of your posts: Very informative... What would you state is your preference... if you don't mind.. give a quick blurb of your - 1st assault .. for instance.. probing versus frontal assault.. ; prolonged Aerial assault prior to full scale assault (ala Desert Storm).. I've read multiple aar's and still don't get a good feel.. they all seem to end up being a bumblebee affair.

Again..thanks for your input
Bill
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Have you read my AAR? http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 0&start=15

I use all my forces in combonation in a varity of ways. Depends on the country I am attacking how many units they have if I did an air or sea campaign before.

But in general my prefered stratagy is to use my navy to clear out the sea zones. Then recon planes move in and find weak spots in the enemy. From there it is then dicided if it is best to wage an air campain or a land campain, or continue with the navy doing coastal bombardments.

It also demends on the tech level of the country I am attacking and how many units they have at a given spot. If I have a higher tech level and they dont have many units at a spot sure I might just select a stack of units and tell them to go to a spot and attack it. But if the enemy has a higher tech level or allot of units I might use air based, or long range attacks before moving ground units in. Or I might surround an area before attacking it.

A couple things to consider.
21 units attacking from 3 seperate hexes will do vastly greater then 21 units attacking from the same hex.
Sending in heavier defending units to a hex before the greater attack units will make the combat go more in your favor.
A unit out of supply adds nothing but loss to you.
Recon is a key to victory.
BillSirKill
Sergeant

Post by BillSirKill »

You are an excellent MIT... Yes I have read it... referring to HOI... You can sort all your assets by type, location... I find it very cumbersome to wade through all the locations to find the nearest asset.. Have you figured a way to minimize this?.. I"m thinking of sending all assets of one type to one location.. but that isn't very realistic.

Also, I played for 6 hours last evening: Prior, I had the game speed way to high to properly micromanage the units, I followed your instructions and didn't need to Zerg anything.. It was more surgical than **** hitting the fan.. so thanks.. As Brazil - I took paraguay with minimal losses or damage. Granted not a formidable opponent.. will see how it goes with argentina.

Now, I will re-load with your mod.. I wanted to get the basics down.

So, again..thank you-you were of great help.
Bill
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

yea Pause is your friend. I regulary pause the game. You can run at higher speeds, But pause it when you need to give orders to a bunch of units. For instance Taking out paraguay with brazil should only take a single game day. The key is to pre stage all of your units. Have goals for each unit, Or rather each stack of units.

So I will move my units up to the border. With the slower units going afte closer cities, and the faster units going after the further cities, And paramen going after the furthest cities. I typicaly have my recon planes patrol the border before the offensive so I can get an idea of where enemy units are staged. I will have artilary and bombers ready to destroy any enemy units that may oppose the units that I am sending to attack a city. If a city or a group of cities have multiple units I might consider sending multiple groups of units to attack it. Also if it looks like it is going to be an extended fight or a tough fight I will also include supply trucks ready to stay a hex behind the main attack so they can supply the frontline troops (supply is key). I also keep supply planes close by incase a unit runs out of supply and I need to get supply to it quicker then a truck would get to it.

If an enemy is known to have fighters or generaly combat planes of its own I will also keep fighters in the area, Or if there are large groups of planes or advanced planes I will keep groups of ground based AA as close as I can get away with.

So once all the units are staged I will pause the game. declare war, unpause the game for a tic so it recognizes that I have declared war then pause it again. Then I will select each group of units and give them there own order. From units sent to move and capture enemy cities, to arty firing at targets to bombers bombing, to fighters patroling, to recon patroling, to supply trucks moving into position to para units droping in on targets. Once I have given all the orders I will unpause and let the game go threw a tic. some of the orders may have been completed by then and new orders will be given. rinse and repeat till victory. I have probly spent an entire real life day for a single game week before becouse of the number of actions that where needed.
Have you figured a way to minimize this?
battlegrouping stacks is about the best way I have found. I have done a whole write up on this before a search might yeild what I said during it.
BillSirKill
Sergeant

Post by BillSirKill »

Excellent..as always.... thanks!!

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”