The Falkland Islands

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Anteep
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Re: The Falkland Islands

Post by Anteep »

the Argentinians are obsessed with the Falklands, and I'm sure their **** government loves this fact, since it drives attention away from themselves and wins them political points if they adopt an aggressive policy towards the Falklands. However, I can't see the Argentinians realistically capturing the island and if they were to, they'd probably lose their entire navy. RN ships are decades ahead and technology matters a great deal at sea.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Anteep wrote:the Argentinians are obsessed with the Falklands, and I'm sure their **** government loves this fact, since it drives attention away from themselves and wins them political points if they adopt an aggressive policy towards the Falklands. However, I can't see the Argentinians realistically capturing the island and if they were to, they'd probably lose their entire navy. RN ships are decades ahead and technology matters a great deal at sea.
Yeah, but numbers also matter. It's funny since the Type 45's are rather one dimensional, and the current one being deployed down there is more for show then anything. Sure, they could lock down the air with the thing, but it lacks a decent AS capability, and limited ASW resources. Shoot down its one helicopter, and you've eliminated long range AS and ASW capabilities.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Didn't they deploy a sub there as well? HMS Triumph? or a trafalgar class anyway.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

CptBritish wrote:Had a very long conversation with my Dad and cousin today about the Falkland Islands. Me and my Dad both been more 'right leaning' than my cousin both think they should stay British no matter what and my cousin for instance thinks talks should happen with the Argentines. I think hes a complete idiot for it but its his view and hes family so meh... Just wondering what you guys think seeing as though this is my most active forum ever lol

Other than just saying "***k the Argies they tried and failed to take them back and they are only 'really' interested now because of the possible oil under them" which I acually would say if I was asked the question in a pub. The people want to stay British why should the Argentinians get the islands? Yea Spanish settlers may have been there nearly 200 years ago but why just us? why not every country on the planet gives back territory that it has taken in those 200 years, that gonna happen? No.

and Hillary "I've taken sniper fire" Clinton can mind her own ***king business... I'd love to see what she say if some random decendants from Russian Alaska decided it wasn't fair of the Tsar to sell Alaska and they wanted to be Russian again and they were backed up by the Russian President... Yea I know exactly what she'd say and it would translate from diplomatic speak to average Joe speak as "***k off" Sound far fetched? It would probably hold more weight than "We want those islands back! There WERE Spanish people living there *Cough* in the 1800s *Cough*. There aren't any or many now and just about all the people on the island want to stay British but still they are ours! Why can't we have them?!?!

Meh Just wanna see what people think if anyone cares.... lol
You forgot the Louisiana Purchase and the American Southwest!!!
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

SoB wrote:but you do not have the V bombers any more. But realy itis pointless the RN Sub would make the Argies think twice before they make any invasion
There's roughly 19 Vulcan bombers between the CANZUK nations some in flying order.
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

10,000 Argies vs 3,500 Brits, Canucks, Ausies, Kiwis & Irish? The Brits had the Iron Lady, nukes and a respectable fleet in the Falklans War! Not anymore, 2 carriers w/o aircraft! or will the Canucks & Ausies lend them F-18's? Canada now has a Marine Comando at CFB Comox and the Ausie's have LPH's now! Will the CANZUK nations come to Britians aide again with matierial support and manpower? They've done it before why not again, same Monarch!!!
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

But now,if it got to that point,which it likely wont for at least a few years at the soonest ,spain could likely be talked into giving a hand due to argentina's theft of YPF.

Argentina,despite all the puffed up talk of its economic success over the last few years,is well on its way back to 2001.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

fool wrote:Hmm, of course it's something the government have done, and they should take full responsibility. Personally though, I would rather a carrier be scrapped than hospitals or schools.
The Brits scrapped both the HMS Eagle & Ark Royal before the Falklands War but still had the HMS Hermes and regretted the loss of both. Instead of relying on the good will of France for aircraft for both of there new carriers Britian should be working with Australia and Canada, both want carriers again and could do what they did prior to WWI and fund one more carrier each. As I've pointed out previously, both nations have several C/F-18's in mothball and unlike Britian both nations are modestly expanding there armed forces. If Britian and the other three CANZUK nations would ever see the potenial of working more closely together, there economic woes would be over and the argies would back down.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Col_Travis wrote:
fool wrote:Hmm, of course it's something the government have done, and they should take full responsibility. Personally though, I would rather a carrier be scrapped than hospitals or schools.
The Brits scrapped both the HMS Eagle & Ark Royal before the Falklands War but still had the HMS Hermes and regretted the loss of both. Instead of relying on the good will of France for aircraft for both of there new carriers Britian should be working with Australia and Canada, both want carriers again and could do what they did prior to WWI and fund one more carrier each. As I've pointed out previously, both nations have several C/F-18's in mothball and unlike Britian both nations are modestly expanding there armed forces. If Britian and the other three CANZUK nations would ever see the potenial of working more closely together, there economic woes would be over and the argies would back down.
Well, such cooperation would bring them closer, I think that Britain would have been smart to have invited Canada and Australia into the Queen Elizabeth carrier project, the name itself in as well unifying or common, with all still having the same monarch.
Happy Linux user!
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

It's still not to late, the CANZUK Society just needs to be a little more assertive and try and get there message across in all four nations parliments.
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:
Col_Travis wrote:
Well, such cooperation would bring them closer, I think that Britain would have been smart to have invited Canada and Australia into the Queen Elizabeth carrier project, the name itself in as well unifying or common, with all still having the same monarch.
I'd like to see a CANZUK mod from you, uniting the Canada-Australia-New Zealand-the UK and possibly Ierland. It would be a challenging game logistickly and fun.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

I think for the Argentines to attack the falkland, they would need a really good plan with a high succes chance and most importantly, not to take too high casualties. I think that the argentines could take the islands by force, but that would cost them. Despite the British navy stationed there, they have an armed force that is capable of dealing alot of damage to a landing party and to slow down and invasion until reinforcements arrive. It would be very unpopular in argentine if a invasion cost lots of lives during the invasion stage, so they would need to sieze the islands fast and with little bloodshed, maybe and nightly suprise airborne assult and landing on the islands while simultaneously securing the sea and air space. I don't think Argentine has such an capability.
Happy Linux user!
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

It would also be very unpopular in Brazil according to my cousins in Porto Alegre.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Just came to think of the Julian Assange and the British threat(in another thread), if the British would storm that embassy, that would give Argentine a bit 'casus belli', though not enough to actually invade, but to roll in new Falkland rhetoric.
Happy Linux user!
fool
General

Post by fool »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:Just came to think of the Julian Assange and the British threat(in another thread), if the British would storm that embassy, that would give Argentine a bit 'casus belli', though not enough to actually invade, but to roll in new Falkland rhetoric.
Meanwhile, in Argentina:

"War justification: 20%

Nah, let's just invade Uruguay or something"
"All warfare is based on deception...
Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Return to “Off Topic Comments”