Sr2020 Scenario Pack for Cold war 1.3 (Hotfix2)

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

domcoppinger
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Sr2020 Scenario Pack for Cold war 1.2

Post by domcoppinger »

Can I just say thanks, such a great job. And its nice to be able to relive the old days. Also if I take the files and replace the .scenario with a cold war based one and a few other things could the shattered world map be fairly easily updated to cold war era? Or is this more complicated than I am thinking?

In fact couldn't I just copy over the files corresponding to territory ownership and with a bit of tweaking get it to work with most files left alone?
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

domcoppinger wrote:Can I just say thanks, such a great job. And its nice to be able to relive the old days. Also if I take the files and replace the .scenario with a cold war based one and a few other things could the shattered world map be fairly easily updated to cold war era? Or is this more complicated than I am thinking?

In fact couldn't I just copy over the files corresponding to territory ownership and with a bit of tweaking get it to work with most files left alone?
All files needed for rebuilding a cache should be included for this one. If not let me know and ill update it.
minor note then I'll answer your question The 2 scenarios share a few files so be aware of this before you go tweaking all kinds of stuff.
Check the scenario files and you'll see the overlap.

Now. The main thing that would have to be modified to fit it into the cold war scenario would be the CVP. You would need to change the starting techs, and starting units for each and every nation, just like i had to change the sphere settings etc for each and every nation to convert it to be compatible. Its alot of copy and pasting basically. To make it easy you could use the cold war .cvp, copy the USSRs starting tech/units list for each of the USSR regions (Moscow etc)
do the same for each of the states, france china etc, then the independent nations.
You couldn't really use the cold war event file since the regions aren't all there. For example shattered world has no south vietnam.

To be honest it would probably be less work and more functional if you used the cold war mod for a starting point and modified it to break some of the nations apart.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Fistalis wrote:
domcoppinger wrote:Can I just say thanks, such a great job. And its nice to be able to relive the old days. Also if I take the files and replace the .scenario with a cold war based one and a few other things could the shattered world map be fairly easily updated to cold war era? Or is this more complicated than I am thinking?

All files needed for rebuilding a cache should be included for this one. If not let me know and ill update it.
minor note then I'll answer your question The 2 scenarios share a few files so be aware of this before you go tweaking all kinds of stuff.
Check the scenario files and you'll see the overlap.

Now. The main thing that would have to be modified to fit it into the cold war scenario would be the CVP. You would need to change the starting techs, and starting units for each and every nation, just like i had to change the sphere settings etc for each and every nation to convert it to be compatible. Its alot of copy and pasting basically. To make it easy you could use the cold war .cvp, copy the USSRs starting tech/units list for each of the USSR regions (Moscow etc)
do the same for each of the states, france china etc, then the independent nations.
You couldn't really use the cold war event file since the regions aren't all there. For example shattered world has no south vietnam.

To be honest it would probably be less work and more functional if you used the cold war mod for a starting point and modified it to break some of the nations apart.
Bugger! I had forgotten about the event files! Guess I will just wait till I have more time to go routing through it all changing it bit by bit, but for now I shall stick to just playing :D
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
IceCold
Lieutenant

Post by IceCold »

Is there anything that can be done to make wars happen more often in the Shattered World Scenario?
I'm playing as Western Siberia and no wars seems to happen in the world..... I have everything to the highest setting.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

IceCold wrote:Is there anything that can be done to make wars happen more often in the Shattered World Scenario?
I'm playing as Western Siberia and no wars seems to happen in the world..... I have everything to the highest setting.
I've noticed this as well but haven't gotten around to tracking down whats causing it and fixing it.
IceCold
Lieutenant

Post by IceCold »

My theory is that all nations seem to move to the US sphere of influence and non to USSR sense it doesn't exist.
I'm assuming that nations on the same side don't really go to war with each other. Am i right in thinking this?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

IceCold wrote:My theory is that all nations seem to move to the US sphere of influence and non to USSR sense it doesn't exist.
I'm assuming that nations on the same side don't really go to war with each other. Am i right in thinking this?
Pretty much my theory too.. which is gonna be a pain in the rear.. hard to get U.S. states to war unless I move some to Russia leaning and others to U.S. leaning.
FOr example in my modern world mod both pakistan and india are Neutral leaning.. have tons of CB against each other but the AI won't declare war.

It seems 2 nations with similar sphere leanings are less likely to declare war on each other.. even if that sphere leaning is neutral.
Having all countries neutral seems to prevent any wars at all.
IceCold
Lieutenant

Post by IceCold »

Yeh, in my modern world game i had India Declare war on Pakistan only after Pakistan got overthrown by there military, which did happen fairly quick, like within the 1st few months. But in games where Pakistan doesn't get overthrown, they never go to war with each other.

Is there any way to make Governments more likely to be overthrown if there DAR gets to lets say 20% or so? maybe that will make them have more wars.

And i'm guessing there is no way to escape the blue vs red system in this game huh? Like make both USA and USSR disappear and make it like SR2020 but with the ability to liberate or colonize countries.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

IceCold wrote:Yeh, in my modern world game i had India Declare war on Pakistan only after Pakistan got overthrown by there military, which did happen fairly quick, like within the 1st few months. But in games where Pakistan doesn't get overthrown, they never go to war with each other.

Is there any way to make Governments more likely to be overthrown if there DAR gets to lets say 20% or so? maybe that will make them have more wars.
And i'm guessing there is no way to escape the blue vs red system in this game huh? Like make both USA and USSR disappear and make it like SR2020 but with the ability to liberate or colonize countries.
Pakistan getting overthrown was actually an event I added to prod that war on. :wink: (If you pay attention to bubbles theres also a terrorist attack in india that they blame on pakistan)

As to the red vs Blue.. the more I mod the more I come to that same conclusion. Outside of out right scripting wars.. Which I'm not a fan of but am gonna probably have to use more.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Fistalis wrote:
IceCold wrote:Yeh, in my modern world game i had India Declare war on Pakistan only after Pakistan got overthrown by there military, which did happen fairly quick, like within the 1st few months. But in games where Pakistan doesn't get overthrown, they never go to war with each other.

Pakistan getting overthrown was actually an event I added to prod that war on. :wink: (If you pay attention to bubbles theres also a terrorist attack in india that they blame on pakistan)

As to the red vs Blue.. the more I mod the more I come to that same conclusion. Outside of out right scripting wars.. Which I'm not a fan of but am gonna probably have to use more.
Yeah, noticed this as well. Great xfer of SR (love me some Shattered World!), but they all just sort of sit there. Played Texas and went on a rampage.

Good things--Allies act like CW allies. They actually show up for the party. Took out Mexico in no time flat. Also, few weird islands of other ownership--they come through your area and you get the land. Neat.

Bad--no wars. I agree it is probably the core engine (the blue vs. red bar), and most likely can't be modded. Too bad :(
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Could you just assign the role of "leaders" to two nations (doesn't really matter which to) and then just let the game run. I know this is far from perfect, but at least then wars would occur, especially if you incorporated the changes Fistalis brought in for the high volatility version of his Modern World mod. Then surely (since I have never come across this I can only assume) if one of the leaders is eliminated the game should continue... wars and all. (Like I have said this is just an assumption that if in a normal cold war game the USSR is eliminated war doesn't just stop!)

Just an idea as it seems that the issues with this would be the lesser of two evils when compared to no wars at all!
Much Thanks

Number 46-48
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

domcoppinger wrote:Could you just assign the role of "leaders" to two nations (doesn't really matter which to) and then just let the game run. I know this is far from perfect, but at least then wars would occur, especially if you incorporated the changes Fistalis brought in for the high volatility version of his Modern World mod. Then surely (since I have never come across this I can only assume) if one of the leaders is eliminated the game should continue... wars and all. (Like I have said this is just an assumption that if in a normal cold war game the USSR is eliminated war doesn't just stop!)

Just an idea as it seems that the issues with this would be the lesser of two evils when compared to no wars at all!
In my current test build I have Washington D.C. as the NATO sphere leader and Moscow as the Warsaw sphere leader and war still doesn't break out. I haven't attempted to artificially up the volatility yet as I did in my latest test version of the modern world though. I'll update you all when I do. (Or you can.. start a game on normal to very high volatility. Save the game right away and replace the shattered world cache with that save game.)
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

That works to up the volatility? You just keep starting a game on High Volatility then replace the cache with that save and repeat?!?
Much Thanks

Number 46-48
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

domcoppinger wrote:That works to up the volatility? You just keep starting a game on High Volatility then replace the cache with that save and repeat?!?
Pretty much yup. Release versions of the Modern world Are Staged on No volatility, the current test version was staged on Normal. Staging pretty much involves me running the game a few days to let events kick off then saving it to provide the cache for the release version. Sometimes changing nations to select AI priorities due to broken events. Then putting in events to replace the "player" leader with real world leaders. :wink:

Each time you save on higher than no volatilty it increases the potential for war since anything above none bumps the scripted relations.
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

I have said it before and I shall say it again...

You sir, are a genius!
Much Thanks

Number 46-48

Return to “Modding SRCW”