artillary can target and fire on a hex ,right ?

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

artillary can target and fire on a hex ,right ?

Post by tkobo »

Even if there are no visible targets in that hex, art can target and attack the hex right ?
red
General

Post by red »

Yeah, arty, bombers, and missiles can do a Bombard order on any ground hex. Edit: and ships.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Cool, thanks Red.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

This has been (is being?...) updated so that you cannot fire on neutral hexes, you must declare war first. It was never possible to fire on allied or you own.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

"cannot fire on neutral hexes"

Why change to this ?
It seems to me that if a country wanted to suprise attack another,the artillary barrage would be among of the first things to happen--in small region nieghbor cases.

Having to declare war first would kinda ruin the suprise.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

We gave this some thought, but in the end the declare war option seemed to make the most sense. It is hard to order an attack on a region that your military does not yet "officially" consider an enemy.

If your Artillery is in range of the enemy, declaring war will cause them to automatically start firing (and get first shot), so this has a similar effect anyways.

-- George.
Steelsky
Captain

Post by Steelsky »

George Geczy wrote:We gave this some thought, but in the end the declare war option seemed to make the most sense. It is hard to order an attack on a region that your military does not yet "officially" consider an enemy.

If your Artillery is in range of the enemy, declaring war will cause them to automatically start firing (and get first shot), so this has a similar effect anyways.

-- George.
Just as a side note to this one...

Denmark has never officially declared war on Iraq but we still sent troups there, there was a lot of talk in the Danish media about this one and in the end they were saying that the declaration of war was mainly a gentleman thing, the special parts of Danish law only in effect while in a state of was were still active even if no official declaration of war had been made.

/Steelsky
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This may be true, but you're talking about something that is not modeled in our game; transfering of forces.

Those Danish forces where working under American direction if I'm not mistaken. The US had declared war on Iraq.

In our game, you would have to actually give the forces over to the other player and would then have to request them back when you needed them. We don't allow transfering of forces in this way.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Okay, so this means no pearl harbor like attacks ?

When war is declared on a region its defcon automatically reacts right ?
So troop stance-readiness-however we wnat to say it- will be higher than if an attack was possibel without the declaration ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

remember that the effect of raising the defcon can take 2-3 game weeks to reach it's target level. Using the advanced orders and the event scheduling you could order a carrier to postition A on day X. When the day rolls around find the carrier, group it's planes, give the planes a move order to the location then while they are flying out, declare war. The other guys Defcon will bump to 3 the moment you declare war but if you started with a 20% efficiency advantage you'll have a game week to cause havoc. I think this is pretty close to a "Pearl Harbor" style attack :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Okay, thats does sound acceptable.
Steelsky
Captain

Post by Steelsky »

Balthagor wrote:This may be true, but you're talking about something that is not modeled in our game; transfering of forces.

Those Danish forces where working under American direction if I'm not mistaken. The US had declared war on Iraq.

In our game, you would have to actually give the forces over to the other player and would then have to request them back when you needed them. We don't allow transfering of forces in this way.
I'm unsure about that and haven't looked into it much anyway, naturally assuming that the US forces were under direction from somewhere :-) It sounds reasonable that US being the main forces there delegated an area to the Danish forces to operate in and be peacekeepers in.

/Steelsky - May I have my tank back please...
Oleoay
Warrant Officer

Post by Oleoay »

WIll there be a hostile state that is less encompassing than total war? The US-enforced no-fly zone over Iraq, for example, or patrol boats exchanging warning shots, committing piracy, or attacking each other in neutral waters? If a recon plane flies over my territory, does it immediately go to war if I try to shoot it down?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Q: If a recon plane flies over my territory, does it immediately go to war if I try to shoot it down?
A: Yes

We really only have 3 levels. War, Peace and Ceasefire. That state of flux your looking for is war with ceasefire. At that point, you could order one of your AA units to fire and the AWACs and the other player would be notified you breached the ceasefire and would have to decide if they go to full out war again or just demand reparations.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Oleoay
Warrant Officer

Post by Oleoay »

So during a cease fire, it is not considered a hostile action to recon another person's territory, or to setup (or try to run past) an enemy's blockade?

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”