In the spirit of the Cold War.

Put all your MP game discussions right here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hundane
General

Re: In the spirit of the Cold War.

Post by Hundane »

i managed to keep both of them passive with diplo
@Tkobo again - Just using diplomacy alone or did you have a show of force along the borders and substantial naval presence within view of Cuba as well ?

Sorry GIjoe, yeah that 2nd question was for you, thanks.

Ill make another suggestion for your next game, everyone should limit your spying activity to just espionage missions and/or only use sabotage for the areas your fighting over. Then possibly, the chance of getting spies caught might create some DoWs or create bad relations/tensions. As an example, US spies in Cuba on sabatoge missions, Russia sends in some ASW helos to patrol the island, finds a few US spies, Cuba captures them.... Also the espionage would fit more with the Cold War era feel I think.
My most effective tactic I think was using large numbers of supply and recon aircraft to support Poland.
Thats being a good ally in an SR2020 game. Providing supply and recon helps the AI a bunch.

I hope you all start another one of these around early November, I should have ample time to join in on funzies.
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

As far as I know the the new game starts Wed 29th Sep at 3pm EST. November is still quite a way off, too early to predict what will be going on then. I will soon post the starting settings/rule set for the new game. Give people time to comment on it and to alter something if we wish to prior to the 29th.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I was actually joking about the diplo.
---------------
Storyline :
You seeeeeeee....Mr Truman was married to.... Ms Reagan....Making her of course Mrs reagan truman.AND,mrs r.t. used well known and highly paid Psychics to determine that the cuban president needed a brain, and that the mexican president needed "intestinal fortitude".

Upon getting this prized information,Mrs Reagan Truman contacted both presidents and arranged a deal.If they behaved over the next few years,when russia fell,Mrs Reagan Truman would see to it that the cuban president received GIJoe597's brain, and the mexican president received GIJoe597's intestines .

The presidents agreed to this plan,well..... not the russian one....but the other two did.And hence Mr truman was informed by his wife, that no further diplo on his account would be needed.And hence had only pursued the briefest of diplo pushs on mexico, and none on cuba.

----------------------
Gameplay:
I did almost no diplo on mexico and none on cuba.I figured i could possibly get by with the "he's too damn big to attack" effect of the huge build cap i had,coupled with total non aggression on my part, and sprinkled with major diplo deals many other places.... at least for a year of so.

And if not,i had the units to push mexico into peace, and wall off cuba and pick off their units at my leisure,eventually making them look for peace also.

i really expected the game to last much longer in game years.I expected russia to give ground and buy itself time when it was overmatched,as the AI would likely spread itself out too much given the chance, and stall itself.And that russia would eliminate airfields as they fellback, making the AI airpower much less of a threat.But GIJoe597 played an agressive ground defense,meeting the AI head on each time the AI pushed (that i saw).

So i really wasnt worried about mexico or cuba,as i thought i had all the time id want should they get uppity.But the game ended after less than what ? 2 years of gametime ?

I had also decided that neither one of those two regions were "ally" explainable for the period we were trying to take a stab at acting out.I fugured cuba should have been hostile and off limits as an ally, and mexico neutral.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

tkobo wrote:i really expected the game to last much longer in game years.I expected russia to give ground and buy itself time when it was overmatched,as the AI would likely spread itself out too much given the chance, and stall itself.And that russia would eliminate airfields as they fell back, making the AI airpower much less of a threat.
Looks good on paper and I also thought this might be the way it played out, but by the time Moscow had been overrun, our treasury was in the red, no units were being produced and much of the Russian economy/people are in the western portion of Russia. I had already stripped the Eastern half of most of its units. South Korea was at war with Russia and if they ever pushed across the border, nothing I could do about it. The Russian air force was tech 80 and perhaps 20 aircraft total with about 97% of it in repair.

It really is a viscous cycle when you have no money and cannot even replace a single unit lost. The AI had a steady supply of fresh units as well as support with logistics. IF and when the AI decided to back off, there was little I would have been able to do with what I had available.

Concerning money: Russia had already stopped all research some time ago, zero tech was being accomplished. With only 15 Air Fabs by this time and limited land fabs, it was simply not feasible to try and counter the 100's of fabs the U.S.A. had. For our dear readers, the U.S.A. had more 5 times the land fabs and 11.2 times the air fabs that Russia had as well as a much more robust economy with 121 times more money to use.

It does, almost to a T, simulate the historical way the Soviet Union was outspent leading to its collapse. Besides, once I saw uncomrade seawolf tearing down that wall, I could see the end.

Well played, and it does highlight the necessity of a robust economy to support your goals, peaceful or otherwise.

Concerning next wednesday. For anyone that will be playing, but mostly tkobo, these rules look ok?

Med volitility

3rd party on

Mil and Econ: normal?

Diplo: easy (comments)

Debt: On (comments)

Allied victory: on

FOG: on

Enhanced spotting and ranges: OFF

Units elminated: on ?

Nuke: allow
Penalties: high

Random events: med

Critcal UN: on (whatever)

I think those are all the game option choices. Now for house rule set;

Spies: Espionage only? (comments)

Who to ally with and who not to ally with?
Looking for suggestion on this one. Since Russia is a Democracy due to game mechanics I struggled with this the most. In theory, one would only ally with Commies, Dictators and Theocracies, as Russia. But when one steps back and looks at the big picture, this is a fight for world domination, so perhaps the 2 super powers should allow anyone that decides to join their team, to join. Comments?

Anything else that needs clarity?

tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Mil: very hard

Econ: normal

Diplo: normal

Otherwise looks okay.

On allies, id say as much as the current game setting allows,stick to cold era.But allow some leeway, as some regions played both sides well enough to justify being allied in game terms.In game,you actually do better creating one super ally, than trying to create 10 such*.But its not as fun, and doesnt represent the era very well.

*As allies fight each other, each of the ten will much weaker than the single,and its soooo much easier to keep track of one allies needs and actions then 10 :lol:

You get to tell seawolf he cant be russia this time :P
------------------------

as for cash, once you cut back on socials,you got back in the black as far as revenue went fairly fast.You had something like +2k units,you only lost like 1/2 of that, and i dont remember ever seeing artillary in your attack lines.I guessed you simply didnt have the time to coordinate them and so werent using them......

me, expect pauses :lol: Which i dont think you did once.Heck i kept having to stop myself from pausing and all i wanted to do was look over the various theatres .I was inches away from bankrupting saudi,before my mistake.They had cut back on everything social, including infrastructure,were growing debt like mad,and then i missed the contract end, and they were able to recover.

The game as it played out, reminded me very much of the German Advance scenario.Where the best thing to do is give way til you can halt the enemy advance .Then sit there defensively til you can really handle them.
Chuckle TM
comrade.seawolf
Lt. Colonel

Post by comrade.seawolf »

lol, "uncomrade seawolf" :lol:
My original intentions were to surprise the US by accepting units from both sides and simply take as much land as possible, but I started aligned with the US.

Anyway, the rules all look good to me. Will China be available to me as a member of the reds? I think they could provide some balance for the teams, Seeing as China is far enough away from the European to take too much direct action, but can help push invaders away from Russia.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I guess China is fair game as a "minor". As long as it does not attack Russia or U.S.A.

I can live with VH, N, N. So thats decided.

I still am wary of the alliance scheme as it is coded if the game and how it conflicts with what we want to do. But we will play it by ear. I think obviously NATO members during that time should not ally with Russia, nor should any commonwealth country or Japan, S. Korea.

Likewise the U.S.A. should not ally with China or any communist regime, nor theocracy like Iran.

tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

yea, it would almost be worth going in and setting up certain alliances,but even then it wont match as the map is different than the era.
Chuckle TM
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

How about another idea.

Use the storylines already created by BG for SR2020 GC and come up with a few additional storylines to create a "New Cold War". Use your houserules and such to play it out but a 3rd player could play China or Iran and throw them into the mix as well.

Looks like you have 3 dedicated players so make it them all players in the Cold War part following your house rules for those regions and if any others come into the mix have them play those other minors that could represent the unknown possibilities that would arise in the world. You know like a radical shift in allegiance to one superpower or going from a peaceful to war like state etc....

Basically NATO is dissolved in SR2020 GC so all sides trying to establishing early alliances (even if they werent allied in the Cold War era) could make sense then.

just an idea...
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I think china should be off limits,its just too big,and in games its already too easy to turn any region into a super power.

Of course, we could go with hundanes idea,if i follow part of it correctly, and declare china another cold war participant,playable but under the same rules as us and russia.

Any interest on pre allying certian regions to other regions ?We could use multiplayer and go in as the regions we want allied,and make them so with enough saves and loads.Probably only take a half hour or so to do ,once weve decided on them.
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I would rather not spend the time making AI allies, its just a game, we will do the best we can with what we have available. The only thing I bother with in all my games is to load as Brazil fist and add them a bridge from Manaus south. The AI has a huge problem handling Brazil's forces since they cannot cross that river and the AI does not build road or rail.

Right now my main concern is about the tuesday game, trying to work out what to do about that one.

tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

we on for today ?
Chuckle TM
comrade.seawolf
Lt. Colonel

Post by comrade.seawolf »

tkobo wrote:we on for today ?
I am. I would have replied earlier, but I just woke up :lol:
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Yes and I uploaded a save. The only thing I did was give Brazil a road across that river.

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

We played almost three hours then my local cable company started having issues. We decided to call it a day. Most current autosave loaded in first post.

GIJoe = U.S.A.
tkobo = Russia
comrade.seawolf = Iran

Return to “Multiplayer Games”