Recruiting Soldiers and CONSCRIPTION

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

michael63000
Colonel
Human: Yes

Recruiting Soldiers and CONSCRIPTION

Post by michael63000 »

Has anyone thought of Conscription yet? Why not be able to order Conscription of let's say 100,000 soldiers by force but they'll be not trained like the Soldiers and will just be Regular Foot Soldiers with lower training and morale, forced to go into war. Because I always find a problem with recruits and reservists. We need to be able to Conscript people and it should have a HUGE IMPACT on the country, lower GDP, lower Public Opinion and rating and cause revolts and uprisings for worse case scenarios.

How bout that?

Sorry for the third topic, I just keep getting Ideas.
Hundane
General

Re: Recruiting Soldiers and CONSCRIPTION

Post by Hundane »

There is a conscript unit in SR2020.

Also in SR2020 IIRC, the reserve recruiting is different for government types due to some having a benefit from conscription.

I have never seen a revolt or uprising in SR2020 but I never thought to see if the minister priority button "checked to increase reserves" effected any of the other conditions.

Ill be very dissapointed if I dont see revolts or uprising in SRCW.
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

Yes but does the Conscript unit use the Military Reservists, or use civilians?
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Its uses the reserves just like any unit, which are recruited/conscripted from the regions population.
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

Hundane wrote:Its uses the reserves just like any unit, which are recruited/conscripted from the regions population.
There should be an option to DIRECTLY conscript part of the population, like let's say Egypt has 80 million people, 40 million are male. 10 million are fit for military service. I want an option where you could conscript people so if you're out of reservists just conscript 100,000 more from civilian populations, although they will have VERY poor training and they will be slower than regular soldiers. That's what I am saying.

Like let's say Im in a war with US as China, I ran out of reservists, I'll just conscript 200 Million more (and even start riots and uprising against me due to the fact people HATE Conscription and will do ANYTHING to go against it) so Conscription should be there but will leave a mark on your country and is VERY risky, since the stability of the country could be lost.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Egypt like alot of other countries around the globe already have a conscription or mandatory service for its citizens.
Like let's say Im in a war with US as China, I ran out of reservists, I'll just conscript 200 Million more
How many of your current soldiers are you going to use to go round up and semi-train these 200 million ? Could take decades to round up that many conscripts.
Between the Korean War's outbreak in June 1950 and 1953, Selective Service inducted 1,529,539 men
From a pool of approximately 27 million, the draft raised 2,215,000 men for military service during the Vietnam era.
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

Hundane wrote:Egypt like alot of other countries around the globe already have a conscription or mandatory service for its citizens.
Like let's say Im in a war with US as China, I ran out of reservists, I'll just conscript 200 Million more
How many of your current soldiers are you going to use to go round up and semi-train these 200 million ? Could take decades to round up that many conscripts.
Between the Korean War's outbreak in June 1950 and 1953, Selective Service inducted 1,529,539 men
From a pool of approximately 27 million, the draft raised 2,215,000 men for military service during the Vietnam era.
Than be it decades to round up that many. Agreed.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Eldin »

I'd also like to see conscription represented in a different way in SRCW. I suggest that instead of having a "Conscript" unit, that there should be 2 manpower pools. One for enlisted personnel and one for conscripted personnel. If a unit uses conscripts, then it's military efficiency should be lower than a similar unit who uses enlisted personnel, e.g where a 100% conscript unit has 0% experience and a unit who is 100% enlisted has 10% experience when built.
Of course there should be a way to handle how a unit uses manpower from both pools. This could be easily handled by dividing whatever variable is used to differentiate the two manpower pools depending on how large of a percent is used from each pool. (E.g a unit uses 70% conscripts, so it should get a 30% improvement in the variable used)
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

Eldin wrote:I'd also like to see conscription represented in a different way in SRCW. I suggest that instead of having a "Conscript" unit, that there should be 2 manpower pools. One for enlisted personnel and one for conscripted personnel. If a unit uses conscripts, then it's military efficiency should be lower than a similar unit who uses enlisted personnel, e.g where a 100% conscript unit has 0% experience and a unit who is 100% enlisted has 10% experience when built.
Of course there should be a way to handle how a unit uses manpower from both pools. This could be easily handled by dividing whatever variable is used to differentiate the two manpower pools depending on how large of a percent is used from each pool. (E.g a unit uses 70% conscripts, so it should get a 30% improvement in the variable used)
100% Agreed and it won't be complex because They could just add a little mini icon to differentiate between conscripted units and enlisted units.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Eldin wrote:...Of course there should be a way to handle how a unit uses manpower from both pools...
That sentence alone makes me shudder for the additional micromanagement suggested...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cutlass
Major

Post by Cutlass »

Well, maybe something like this might work ...

An option where "conscription" is selected by the player (or the AI running a region) with the following results applied "globally" to all of that region's units as applicable:

(1) "Reserve" strength is increased significantly in terms of the number of personnel available. Thus more units can be created in a shorter amount of time if desired, or a region that had a lot of units in reserve can then mobilize more of them more quickly before they run out of reserve personnel. The latter could be especially important for regions that maintain a lot of units in reserve status.

(2) The region gets a significant boost to the rate at which it can add new personnel to the "reserve" pool for as long as conscription is active.

(3) Unit combat quality/ability is degraded. This reflects that (a) the training time for conscripts has been rushed/accelerated and their initial training simply isn't up to the pre-conscription standards and (b) morale problems as a result of getting a larger percentage of people in the military who really don't want to be there.

(4) DAR decreases and remains lower than it might be otherwise for the amount of time that "conscription" is in use.

(5) Depending on the ratio of the size of the military to the total population of the region, further economic problems resulting from taking a higher percentage of the population out of the civilian workforce and putting them in uniform. Possibly in the form of unemployment dropping low enough to reflect a labor shortage with all its attendant problems.
Proud member of the Spherical World Association. An organization dedicated to encouraging game designers to create state of the art strategy games in which the actual shape of the world is used.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

An option where "conscription" is selected by the player (or the AI running a region) with the following results applied "globally" to all of that region's units as applicable:
This idea I like. Especially when it uses the following..
(2) The region gets a significant boost to the rate at which it can add new personnel to the "reserve" pool for as long as conscription is active.

(3) Unit combat quality/ability is degraded. This reflects that (a) the training time for conscripts has been rushed/accelerated and their initial training simply isn't up to the pre-conscription standards and (b) morale problems as a result of getting a larger percentage of people in the military who really don't want to be there.

(4) DAR decreases and remains lower than it might be otherwise for the amount of time that "conscription" is in use.

(5) Depending on the ratio of the size of the military to the total population of the region, further economic problems resulting from taking a higher percentage of the population out of the civilian workforce and putting them in uniform. Possibly in the form of unemployment dropping low enough to reflect a labor shortage with all its attendant problems.
And add in a war weariness factor for extended wars that seem to get nowhere for either side.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

As I understand it, currently #1, #2, #4 and #5 happen when you give your minister the priority "increase reserve personnel" in the SR2020 engine.

Seems like you just suggested what we did moving from SR2010 to SR2020 :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Was much better in 2010 when we had more control. Two sliders were not too much micro.
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

But SR2020 Conscription is very slow.

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”