Rodina Rising

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Rodina Rising

Post by Leafgreen »

SR2020U
Global Crisis
World Volatility - High (lower and no wars, higher and things get crazy, see http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 80&t=25420)
Player Profile - Conservative

Scenario Settings -
Random Events - Very high (still rare to see any)
Electricity Sales - Off

Military Settings -
Diplomatic Merchant Marine - Off
Weather System - Off (less stuff to crunch for my tablet)
Battle of the Atlantic - Off (Still not sure what it does, read it only affects 1936 scenarios)

Game Settings -
Military Difficulty - Very Hard (smarter unit AI)
Economic Difficulty - Very Hard
Diplomatic Difficulty - Very Hard
Allied Victory - Off
Global AI Stance - Unpredictable

Learned to play (some will argue that one), eventually took over the world as Belize, Australia, North Korea, Washington state, etc. Can take any country no matter how small/backwards and rule the world but tired of doing it using only 'worldwide' unit types and I want to try something new.

Russia has 13 bordering countries, lukewarm economy, behind in techs, really behind in some tech areas, massive, and serious supply problems. This might be harder than playing as St Kitts or someplace tiny.

The economic difficulty will affect how fast I build and research, betting I end up as a dictatorship pretty fast having to micromanage to keep the cash flowing. Diplomatic difficulty... if I can get any allies it will be on day one, after that everybody will start to hate me. Could turn off all production, destroy all units and start bunny farms to supply the world and they'll all despise me. Even the UN will despise me. Unpredictable global AI is just that - unfortunately less wars after the initial flurry usually but random things (and opinions of me at start) can happen.

--> Player rules. I will try to play like a real world country and not exploit <--
I can only use unit designs I start with or can research myself.
I can not trade Russian designs to other countries.
I can not sell or trade technology away except to colonies.
I can not sell or trade any non-Russian unit designs that are close to modern.
I can not sell Russian units - except export versions to colonies.
(Example: If I am making T-90 tanks, I can sell old T-72s to a colony)
If I use tactical nukes against any nuclear country I must use a strategic launch also upon first launch against that country.
(US, UK, France, China, India, Pakistan, North Korea, Israel - and let's say Iran)
^^^Exception is if attacking them on my home tiles
If the US declares war against anyone, I must send units to proxy fight them.
I can not use merchant marines.
I can not break treaties first unless a full war declaration.
I can not move my capital.
I can not lose my capital
I can not use purchased units except to resell or use in proxy wars.

I am playing on a new tower, and at work on an old tablet. Remember that windows sucks up a lot of that storage and ram also. Game still runs fine, never had it crash or glitch but it will run sloooow if I get LoS with countries/launch recon sats.

Nextbook Flexx 10.1
•10.1" touchscreen
•1.83GHz Intel Atom Z3735F processor
•32GB of storage memory
•2GB DDR3L of system memory

I am using Irfanview for screenshots, paint for simple editing, irfanview for trickier editing, photobucket for a place to store them online.
Last edited by Leafgreen on Jun 28 2018, edited 4 times in total.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Re: Rodina Rising

Post by Leafgreen »

GDP/c = 13,159
Inflation 2.6%
Unemployment 7.7% (yay!!!!)
Population 144m
Immigration 698k
Emigration 521k
Births 3,015k
Deaths 2,722k

All goods - used/produced - Russia is doing great for production, just crude production due to poor techs
Agriculture - 187k/600k (no production, all population made)
Rubber - 3k/12k (as always, super expensive (5x?) to make unless you have actual rubber plantations)
Timber - 330k/1,870k (no production, all population made)
Petroleum - 3,320k/9,115k (largest world supplier, but all in horrible supply areas...)
Coal - 34k/178k
Metal - 23k/240k (I am by far the largest world supplier. followed by Ukraine....)
Uranium - 3k/7k
Power - 850k/2,100k
Consumer - 23k/40k
Industrial - 11k/14k (all is used to make consumer)
Military - 0/10k

State. All (2) Intelligence Academy go offline
Finance. Minister locked from everything and taxes lowered from 47% to 45% which seems to be the golden spot. Healthcare at 55%, Education 55%, Infrastructure 45.1% (raising that from $91m -> $126m), Family Subsidies 25%, Social Assistance 20%, rest are in the 20s but good for now. Later I will want to raise healthcare (less deaths), family/social (more births), education and cultural (more immigration) to help with raising my population to combat low unemployment. Later. Taxes - Sales tax raised from 23.9% to 50%. If I give all the peasants money they'll buy more food, wood, consumer goods, oil to keep warm during winter... and I want a fatter cut of that money being spent. Daily trades set to Dollars instead of Units.
Resources. Increase Domestic Prices. Power, Petrol reduced from 219 active to 120 - more petroleum to sell.
Research. Minister locked from everything. 7 Research spots and 74 techs available, 30 are warfare. I'll turn off all research funding and deactivate all research buildings for the moment. 3 each of Mission Control, Orbital Launch Pad and Aerospace Engineering turned off for now.
Defense - Production. 'Allow air units to path over neutral regions' turned OFF. Fabrication, missile automatic turned off. Lock minister from military spending, but leave garrison control open - if enemy is approaching a city I want automatic garrisons popping out to defend it. Lower Defense spending to zero for now, very short term.
Defense. All production facilities deactivated, 'Global Rules of Engagement', minister control turned off, apply to all turned on. I have turned recruitment down to $10m and maintenance down to $50m for the short term.

Countries that love me.
US, Mexico, Cuba, South Africa, Belarus, Pakistan, India, China, North Korea.
Panama (and canal), Egypt (and canal), Turkey (and strait) hate me.

Units
22/20/9/21
2700 Land
220 Air
230 Naval
467k active duty, 3m in reserve with all units in reserve

Western Russia, supply view.

Eastern Russia, supply view.

Plans - survival at first.
I want 100 Land Production completed by mid 2021.
500 Top of the line amphibious infantry by the end of 2021.
I want to have a west-east supply road done by 2023.

Last edited by Leafgreen on Jun 28 2018, edited 23 times in total.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Post by way2co0l »

We're patient, promise! :D Looking forward to seeing how it goes! I like the house rules. :) And as for the Battle of the Atlantic feature, I personally only use it when I'm playing as England myself. Otherwise it's a handicap the AI doesn't really know how to use or exploit.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Day 1

First to make treaties while I still can, sell off some of the stockpiles (petroleum 3m used, 1.5 trillion stockpiled) while my expenses are low so I can make cash, and use that cash both to purchase technology and units to resell to neighbors I want to see stronger.

Non-aggression, full transit and mutual defense treaties with India, Pakistan, South Africa.
Non-aggression and full transit treaties with China, North Korea, Cuba, Mexico. I don't want to get sucked into their wars.
Non-aggression, full transit, embassy, free flow, free trade with US. The deception begins.

I place an aircraft fabrication along the new supply line, I will need that air base ASAP.

Day 2

A government subsidized company purchases the plans from China for one of the Yunshi transport plane, capable of carrying 240 tons 6k miles. Since we're buddies now, they believed us when we said we wanted to use it for transporting small loads of vodka and potatoes around. 1981 technology. Cost: 9k

Day 3

Russia officially, although clandestinely, approaches the military of India, Pakistan, Japan, UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, US and offers to sell the blueprints to them. I am a good country, see how I help! Payout: 43k

Another Chinese yunshi blueprint is purchased, this time for 'transporting vodka and potatoes to the world for export profits' that can carry 240 tons 11k miles. 1982 technology, cost 11k.

Day 4

That Yunshi was a simpler design, I trade it to the same countries as before but also Canada, Mexico, Brazil, south Africa, South Korea, Ukraine, Poland, Egypt, Portugal, Saudi Arabia. Payout: 53k.

Days 5 -10

Shopping time! Always go to Israel for their missile technology, south Africa for their artillery technology. I also go to my new 'friend' USA using government owned businesses and buy 17 technologies for 33k. All told I purchase 43 technologies for 88k, the only one available I do not grab is Chemical Warfare. Having it would just make everybody mad and I would never use it.

I also spend 20k to buy 30 3-dot tanks from Pakistan, only country that will cheaply sell units and has some non-russian in reserve. I will give these to north korea, I do NOT want a US/NATO friendly south korea on my border! Unfortunately the only AA units Belarus, India, Pakistan have that can target planes are Russian designs and interceptors are much too expensive to buy, so North Korea will have to live with bad AA.

By now China would be wondering about their 2 'civilian' transport designs being all over the world, even if they are 40 year old tech. Time to lay low.

Exit world stage. Broke, done all my buying, and countries are starting to dislike me.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Now for the messy part, going through all my units. All units (3k+) are taken out of reserve, 163k active military personnel prior, 628k after.

That will take a week or more to get them all out of the barracks, I start production on more industrial complexes and begin research - I have 69 techs available to research even after the buying spree. 6 Research complexes, so 7 techs at a time. Project development max but efficiency left at zero for the moment because I have building to do shortly. 17 Industrial Complexes that can generate 13k max, but 7k used to make consumer goods - I am building 16 more (atm) that just uses up my industrial goods production. Oh yeah, doubling uranium complexes from 12 to 24.

Research goals short term:
Mig-41 Foxhunt Interceptor

Research goals mid term:
Laser AA Defense buildings
SDI Sats
NextGen amphibious infantry

Research goals long term:
Fusion power + cold fusion tech boost.
Advanced Goods factories

Non-tradable boosts to industry and social stuff
Unit attack/defense boosts

Now that all the units are active, time to start the Stalinesque purging. In order to have a leaner meaner military all that WWI and WW2 stuff needs to go, plus i'll get goods for scrapping them. Could make a ton of money selling them to somebody far away like brazil or Canada, but this is a quiet internal restructuring and I won't sell Russian units. When dealing with 2,200 ground units I thought the best way would be to make them all active, then send the keepers back to reserve, then scrap all units left on the map, then pick specific groups of units out of reserve to send to border defensive areas.

-------------------------------
First screw-up noticed. I should have made or at least tried to make one way Free Trade and Free Flow treaties with the US instead of mutual. That would have been more in the spirit of imposed rules.
-------------------------------

Electricity output is still really high, reducing active petrol power plants from 219->120, to ->60. More petroleum to sell.

Egypt declares war on Mali. Don't care about piddly Mali, but I would like access to Suez Canal. I support this action.

Bringing the 2 Intelligence Academies back online, they will be focused entirely on the Ukraine. This is the beginning of Plan B.

10 Sandal IRBM land launched nuclear weapons begun. 22 (max) 9k62 started, 28 day build.

My problem areas will need attention soon but not just yet. But soon.

Crimea. Has a darn road into Ukraine but I have to use transports to get there.

Kaliningrad. The little lost land.

Sakhalin Island, Japan's easy target.

The Dead Zones. This is the supply view.
Last edited by Leafgreen on Jun 28 2018, edited 5 times in total.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
bowtie
Lieutenant

Post by bowtie »

"If I use tactical nukes against any nuclear country I must use a strategic launch also upon first launch against that country."

Why this?

Does the AI act differently if you do? I use tactical nukes a lot, never strategic though.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Hand targeted nuclear weapons are treated like normal missiles and do not incur any world wrath - and don't randomly target! - like strategic launches.
------------------------------------

January 25, time to get started!

Military goods and Industrial goods locked from minister control. I'm not using any military and using 50% more industrial than I produce, I don't want to sell the large amount i'll be getting in a bit.

I scrap all 9 naval production. I scrap 2 of 3 orbital launch pads. I scrap 2 of 3 orbital telemetry. I scrap all 3 air defense. I scrap 115 of 230 naval units, mostly bad patrol and low cargo/non-amphibious transports. I scrap 82 of 220 air units, mostly the old old combat units and low cargo transports. I scrap 1,290 of the 2,285 land units as I don't use towed or foot units with a big country and some of this stuff is really old. Russia is known for keeping everything ever made in warehouses, all that is getting cleared out. I end up with 1 million military goods and 3 million industrial stockpiled, producing 12k industrial/using 17k and no military usage yet.

Bring all 3 aerospace engineering online and order 3 commo sats, will see if it builds 3 at a time or just one. Sabotage of Ukraine power plants begins.

The explanation? I speak to the contractors and subsidize new naval production facilities, grabbing the choice land with eminent domain. Interests of national security. This puts my production in a (eventually) safe place with good access to Europe, Africa, southern asia. Think it's too much? 2016 - Moscow. 97 buildings containing hundreds of businesses with valid property documents and legal leases were torn down in one night. No compensation given.

Lies, fake news. It was an elderly couple taking pictures of quaint old Kiev, it was NOT at the nuclear facility of Zaporizhzhya as claimed. Obviously an upcoming politician is pandering for votes on the 'lets hate russia' platform. Here are receipts for their bed and breakfast in Kiev, here are witnesses who saw them there. Look over there, Kim Kardashian did something cutesy.

300+ are T-72m1 tanks, about 100 are T-80ud, rest are T-90. The infantry are BMP-3AIFV and Anders, and I kept all the WWII engineers. I got a little artillery crazy, but Russian doctrine is to be very heavy on artillery anyhow. Any AA that can only shoot helicopters was scrapped. I don't use recon units, rather use a more powerful infantry that has good range. If I knew how to use minister unit control well enough to trust it i'd keep them and pass them over to minister.

I kept all the bombers, all the Hind (a lot of them!), Candid-B transports are meh but will do for now. Never liked multi-role, equally suck at all jobs. The Frogfoots were just too useful to pass up.

A lot of top notch nuclear subs. Can't scrap the Kirovs of course, and the non-sub fleet won't win any medals but it works. I even kept the Large Civilian Transports just in case.

Normally I would scrap ALL units, scrap ALL production, research a next generation infantry unit while new production builds in a safe central location using all those recovered industrial goods as I trade air unit blueprints for cash, then spam the new units 100+ at a time. But no real country would do that, and having to use non cutting edge units for a major country is really getting me out of my comfort zone!
(Holds up 3 fingers)
bowtie
Lieutenant

Post by bowtie »

did you scrap all the naval production in the east? are you going to not prioritize the pacific theatre?
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Russia is just so darned massive... I always go with centralized production, but I am thinking this time I will either go with central production and reserves in multiple locations, or production in multiple locations. Both add a LOT more headaches, don't you think? But the sheer size of Russia... I am really leaning towards all production in the safe (eventually) Black Sea region and transship Atlantic units to Sakhalin Island or a secure base in that region. I can't leave the Atlantic for Japan and the US to own after all. Still debating.
-----------------------------------------------

Might as well start using all those industrial goods stockpiled. The Grand Supply Highway begins, someday I might build a railroad right next to it for fast unit transfers also. 11,217 tons of industrial goods used for construction before I start it, 25,100 tons after but cheap financially. Slow WWII engineers getting into position every 20 tiles along it, I will build aircraft production there and pump the highway and surrounding links to it full of supply that way. Doesn't matter where my planes are made, they can relocate to anywhere speedily.

Verified that having 3 active aerospace engineering buildings doesn't matter, still only produce 1 sat at a time and no reduced build time so scrapping 2 of the 3. Confirmed that buildings damaged by spies (and I assume war) still produce just fine without being repaired, their output is just reduced slightly - so spy sabotage isn't terribly useful.

Starting basic defensive formations moving, 1 BMP-3 AIFV and 4 T-72m1 to towns near the borders in the western half of Russia.

More treaties. Hungary, Madagascar, Argentina, Venezuela get an embassy, criminal extradition, full transit, non-aggression pacts.

Romania declares war on Iceland, I support this. Iceland hates me anyhow and who cares, but Romania is a close neighbor and I want them to like me. Egypt declares war on Libya, I support it. I'd like to get transit access to the canal and that means Egypt has to like me.

This is a good thing! My casus belli is only 9% for the Ukraine, I want to raise that. Start construction of a Security Bureau to help catch their spies.

If I could, waving the flag and building anti-Ukraine sentiment is something I would begin.

I see this as the highest threat area. Usually somebody goes bat**** crazy and starts declaring war on a dozen people, could be Japan or China or somebody else. I can't defend against Japan right now, and if China goes crazy they might get taken over by somebody who hates me. The Koreas are calm so far at least.

And everything goes sideways.
February 26, Romania declares war on Ukraine.

I immediately pull all my good units out: WP Anders infantry, T-80 and T-90 tanks, what 9k62 I have made and the Grumble SAMs out of reserve and send them all to the area with all 25ish Hind-E attack helicopters and all 20 tactical bombers joining them nearby. All reserves are in barracks scattered all over so it will take a while. Research efficiency turned off, starting to take out bonds, price of petroleum and consumer goods for the citizens is at 200% but I raise military expenditures to $40m salaries and $500m maintenance/training (336k active). I want Ukraine for Plan B, and their forces are as modern as mine with much less area to defend. And now they'll be sending all their Infantry & tanks to their border furthest from me!

Mid March. Romania is losing ground and Ukraine has forces 2/3 of the way to their capital now. I know I can't take out Ukraine fast, my missiles aren't enough to take out any base, and a long drawn out war with me inching forward would not be something Russia could do in this situation in reality. If Ukraine takes Romania and I take Ukraine, i'm stuck with Romania lands being part of Russia - which I don't want - or I release them, which Russia would do as a colony but isn't an option here. Or I could step back and get my military in order, attack Ukraine in 6-12 months when I have troops ready and casus belli.

So of course I go with plan C. Double Down. I need a way to make any takeover of Ukraine faster and get the world cheering me on. Or at least not howling for my blood!

Reality? Romania went crazy and declared war on Ukraine.

Perception? Say nobody knows who started it, point at Ukraine invading Romania, be the peacemaker and go there to help resolve it, my 'lead' presidential plane is shot down by Ukraine but obviously they were trying to assassinate me. On-board were security personnel and of course 25 DOSAAF children who were allowed to come along to see Kiev during this peaceful event. So... Ukraine is now a monster.
Last edited by Leafgreen on Jun 30 2018, edited 3 times in total.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Time to play my next disinformation/false flag card. Here's where I have to get a little crazy, but this is in the realm of possibility.
"Thousands killed as Israel drops tactical nuclear bomb on Syria," said the headline of an April 30 post on exclusive103.com.

The story claimed an Israeli plane "dropped the first nuclear bomb deployed in armed conflict since the US dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945, according to local reports." The post said the nuclear attack targeted an ammunitions depot in Hama, Syria, and created a 2.6-magnitude earthquake.
That was a real world 'story'.

Here is a real world fact.
After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, Ukraine held about one third of the Soviet nuclear arsenal, the third largest in the world at the time, as well as significant means of its design and production.[2] 130 UR-100N intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) with six warheads each, 46 RT-23 Molodets ICBMs with ten warheads apiece, as well as 33 heavy bombers, totaling approximately 1,700 warheads remained on Ukrainian territory.[3] While Ukraine had physical control of the weapons, it did not have operational control, as they were dependent on Russian-controlled electronic Permissive Action Links and the Russian command and control system. In 1994 Ukraine agreed to destroy the weapons, and to join the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
During the breakup of the Soviet Union many things became lost, misplaced or hidden. I remember that NATO had a field day buying military vehicles and systems straight from the warehouse cheaply and troops were not getting paid or fed in some areas, while generals because mini mafia lords. It is easily in the realm of possibility that some nuclear weapons went missing and records were lost or falsified to cover this up. Anyone in control of them would not be able to detonate them in the intended way, but could dismantle them to learn all sorts of valuable information or turn one into a poor man's nuke or at least a dirty bomb. While a high yield hydrogen bomb is out, a low yield atomic bomb could be possible I would think. The beauty of using a bomb known to be held by Ukraine at one time is that the IAEA and monitoring countries could probably confirm that is was Ukrainian based on residual isotopes which will let them determine where and when it was made. They would have a thousand previously dismantled Ukrainian warheads to get the information from also, no need to just take Russia's word for the data.

Naturally if Russia had access to one and it was to go off, the area south of Kiev would be a tasty target. Intelligence Academy, Barracks, Air Base, Air Production, 2 Land Production. And Kiev is a beast to take because attacks from Russia are across a river with that base pumping out defenders.

To simulate a Ukrainian nuclear explosion, i'll just shoot an unstoppable ballistic land launched missile. Everyone in the world will hate me for declaring war with little casus belli, using a nuke won't change that and I will be declaring war anyhow. All land units activated, i'll just send troops from their barracks to closest borders - getting picky about who goes where will take forever.

Now in the interests of global concern, Ukrainian invasion of Romania, and their attempt to use a nuclear weapon... Russia will be a responsible neighbor and move in with peacekeepers to restrain Ukraine.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

That was a very very messy war, the worst losses I've ever had I think and Belarus was helping quite a bit.

No commo sats, about 50% infrastructure, military on 1/3 wages, not even depleted uranium ammo tech, and mostly tanks attacking garrisons in cities. It de-evolved into throwing stacks at each city to wear down the garrisons and the only reason I don't call it a loss is because I DID win and my kills were slightly higher than my losses. Unfortunately Ukraine was able to take out Romania so I had to take that area over too, and there was one production facility right next to the Romanian capital that prevented Ukraine from giving up until the very last man.

I was forced to pull units out of Romanian area, release them, declare war on Romania, retake it so I could turn them into a colony. Pretty well despised by all now and serious financial troubles. Time to sit back and lick my wounds. Ukraine was the only nation I needed to take over in the game.

(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Those new industrial goods factories are online, giving me a new production of 23k and usage of 14k with 500k stockpiled. Keeping that locked from minister but time to start building more goodies. Unlocking Military Goods now that the war is over, the stockpile will get me some needed cash. Power is still 1.2m produced and 570k used, placing ALL the 219 petrol plants offline. Turning on 'Maximize Profit Opportunities' and 'Export Opportunities', 'Increase Domestic Prices' is already on. Dropping military funding and raising research funding again.

Catching spies from Estonia and Saudi Arabia now but those should diminish over time. Israel died, Egypt took them over but no other real wars.

I start 10 new barracks in the areas around the Moscow province, those will become new land production areas eventually. Military complexes along the Grand Road are beginning when engineers get to the designated spots. Security Bureau is still building, Grand Road is still building, and my 2nd commo sat is building. 155 oil fields and 20 derricks, I start building 60 more oil fields to produce $$$. Normally consumer goods are used to produce $$$ but oil is easier and I might have to turn off consumer goods sales in the near future. I could build another 300 oil fields easily but no supply in those areas...

I really should give that road a name. Something grand. Dushanbe Autobahn? Putin Route 66?

I am broke suddenly because of new building (no shock there, only had $5k in funds) and Increase Domestic Prices is turned on, consumer prices at 200% and the fun loving minister drops them 200->138%. If this was Russia, I could have him executed for that. Industrial Goods unlocked so minister can sell some stockpile to get things building. 23k produced, 32k needed but I might start scrapping some petrol power plants to boost supply and lock minster out again. Just have to get past that initial $$$ cost to see how bad it is.

Yes, I am not playing this particular game very smartly or patiently so far.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
bowtie
Lieutenant

Post by bowtie »

I like the fake news articles lol. That's great.

" Israel died, Egypt took them over but no other real wars."

This is my preferable situation. If Isreal takes over egypt, they get embroiled in many other wars with other arab nations, and usually win after having their+Egypt's resources. If egypt takes over Isreal, they turn it into palestine (at least in the cold war start, not sure about 2020). So not only is a belligerent country removed, Egypt doesnt get the benefit of Isreal's production.

And lol @ Putin Road 66.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

(Thanks to Trey and Matt)

The hour's approaching, just give it your best - and you've got to reach your prime

That's when you need to put yourself to the test - and show us a passage of time

We're gonna need a montage

Ooh it takes a montage

Show us a lot of things happening at once - remind everyone of what's going on

And with every shot show a little improvement - to post it all would take too long

That's called a montage

Ooh we want a montage

And anything that we want to go - from a beginner to a pro

You need a montage

Even Rocky had a montage

Anything that we want to go

From just a beginner to a pro

You need a montage

Ooh it takes a montage

The year was 3rd quarter 2020.

Now it is November 2026, would take a full day to post all the minute happenings and I would rather not - it was a quiet buildup and restructuring - so a work, play, drink, sleep, repeat montage instead.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

There have been only 2 wars, the world has been at peace for years. Romania vs Ukraine with me jumping in, and Egypt took over Palestine, Israel, Libya.

I am not well liked but more dictatorships are popping up that do like me. Their governments, not their people - which means they still won't even agree to an embassy.

Putin Route 66 is finished but still needs secondary roads to resource areas.

Produced/Used/World supplier rank
Agriculture 317k/118k #1
Rubber 6,500/4,700 #3 (A lot of synth rubber in the world is unused I bet)
Timber 1.217k/220k #1
Oil 12,462k/2,998k #1
Coal 64k/35k #5
Metal 107k/29k #1 (Ukraine was #2 producer, #3 is South Africa at 16k produced)
Uranium 13k/17k
Power 1,083/923k no-trade
Consumer 51k/19k #1
Industrial 15k/12k #3
Military 3,500/200 #2

10 Commo sats (at 10% coverage each when fully deployed), 6 SDI sats (at 5% coverage each when fully deployed) in orbit. GDP/c at $20k, inflation at 6.2%, unemployment 3.9%. I have been focusing on all techs that give soft/hard defense bonuses and reducing costs, increasing output.
Romania and Ukraine are roughly GDP/c $4k with positive inflation and low unemployment, they usually have a positive balance/income now. Usually.

I suspect why I am so financially poor this game is the diplomatic setting which corresponds to UN subsidy. At the start I had 0.5% subsidy which has since dropped to 0.0 even with the UN indifferent to me. I let it run for 6 months at 45% tax and let the minister adjust internal goods pricing - while domestic approval went up my net income and sales dropped so I started losing money. So i'm back to 200% domestic prices which give me more income AND more goods leftover to sell with the market but I still only have about $1,500-2,000 discretionary funds towards military, research, construction.

Took a year to rebuild Romania and Ukraine. They lost all rubber production (took a few months to notice that) and I had to rebuild them to the point where they could export consumer goods and have enough power/industrial/military to support themselves. Hard when you don't know if they are not producing xyz because they don't have the capability, or because they can but choose to import instead or have enough production. Mostly they are in the positive now and fielding a 2 bar military but I am forcing them to build 2 research facilities each for the non-tradable techs and hopefully! they will research those types first as I give them every tech except for ICBM, Nuclear Weapons Testing, Satellite productions. Shame that the AI never repairs though, I've read that they can't unpause and that is the reason. But broken facilities on choice resource deposits is a waste.

I have done some production building, up to 70 Land, 10 Air, 14 Naval, 16 Missile. I'd like 100/25-30/40/50 but everything except land is expensive to build which means I have to shut other things down. That's a high production but I am producing for 3 countries, kind of the military supplier for the new Warsaw Pact. Each city near a border has 6 units at it with an air field and laser aa defense, but those are still just speedbumps to any serious attack until a reserve force can get to their area.

Land Units - they're getting old

Colonies are using the BTR-94 while I use the BTR-1, additionally they get the BRDM-3 recon unit.
Colonies are still using the old T-72M1 tanks because I had hundreds of them, I use the T-90A
For artillery I use the good old 9K62 and they get the Smerch
SAMs, S-400 Triumf for me and SA-17 Grizzly for them. A little advanced, but I had they laying around.

9K62 is an end-game unit for me. It has a very long range although a short combat time.

Air Units - expensive to build, been ignoring offensive capability

Interceptors, they get the Su-27SK Flanker and I have the sweet MiG-41 Foxhunt
For supply I had a lot of these around, colonies use IL-76MD Candid-B and me the AN-225 Cossack

MiG-41 and Cossack are end-game units for me. The MiG-41 is a great interceptor but more importantly it is a High Air Target which very few planes can even target and what SAMs can target, do tiny amounts of damage to. The Cossack... well just look at the cargo capacity and range.

Naval Units - need years for a real build-up

Colonies get a modern patrol ship, the Project 2038 Staregushchy
They also get an unmanned modern destroyer, the F-224 Kara Kum while I use the DDG-1030 Sokhumi
I gave them the CGN-1144 Kirovs but only because I now use the BB-1190 Imp. Nikolai II capital ship.
Finally a 4 plane carrier CVN-M19 Makarov , the transport AOR-953 Nanyun and I kept the mass SSN-971A Akula II

AOR-953 Nanyun is an end-game unit for me. Range, cargo capacity, amphibious landing says it all.

Missiles - still not producing much

All of us will use shipboard anti-ship missiles SS-N-19 Shipwreck and the air to ground AS-18 Kazoo (Kh-59) AGM
Additionally I am building my favorite SS-N-5 Serb SLBM and the SS-27 Topol M (Mobile) for nukes.

All of the ground units are old and ones I started with, except the BTR-1 which was modern in 2020 but needs an upgrade now. Air units take a while to build, bloody expensive, and I still have few factories so just concentrating on defensive and supply types. Just the Cossack costs $17.5m over 120 days which equals $146k/day for 120 days... so if I did no research or building of other units or buildings for 120 days! I could build 10 at a time. My navy is pretty pitiful, I have been building mostly patrol and unmanned escorts for the colonies to use and just recently researched the designs for my nextgen ships. Kirov is old AND more expensive to make, but my new nuclear BB is better - and still only 3 green dots! I recently played a game of '36 as Australia and it ended up with me, china and US taking over Japan but it was difficult; not because Japan gave us a fight on the home islands but because there was one - just one - Improved Yamato running around killing everything it saw. Transports, escorts, capital ships, stacks of ground units, if it saw them they died and it sailed off without a scratch. So I suddenly learned to like heavy duty battleships in modern day where I never did before but we'll see.

Carriers, I don't see the point of spending 2 years to build a carrier with 1 plane slot. That's the primary reason I want a carrier, to house planes or as an aerial resupply point. Missiles, I swear there is some design (India? Pakistan?) that is capable of being launched by all platforms and can target all types plus like a 2 or 6 day build time. But for Russian designs I am using a ship launched anti-ship (and ballistic!) missile and an air launched anti-ground missile, plus of course the Serb SLBM (awesome, but range is only 1500k or so) and strangely enough a land launched ballistic nuke. I foresee more combat on land than sea this time around. I have given the colonies Recon units and some nice Patrol ships so they can take/hold land while I do the serious fighting, and focusing on unmanned units for them because they have low population so less military personnel.
Last edited by Leafgreen on Jul 07 2018, edited 3 times in total.
(Holds up 3 fingers)

Return to “After Action Reports”