Most fun game ever? / AAR UK saves the World from Russia

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: Most fun game ever?

Post by Ruges »

If you cant make a successful beachhead in that remote section of the world I am not sure there is a place you can make a landing. I am guessing you need more morters to hold a beachhead like that.
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

I agree this was the best hope for a successful invasion. Unfortunately, when I was playing Russia I researched all of the infrastructure techs and the rating was well over 100%, which is now allowing them to get units to more remote places faster than I would have thought possible. They are also using air dropped supplies and while I was able to catch and destroy all the cargo planes I could find they switched to using helicopters, mostly the Yak-60, which as we all know, is a beast. They would land in a stack of units and blend in. making them hard to see. Once I started finding them on the ground and engaging them, the first Russian air started to show up in force. Concerning mortars, sadly, I have none of the fast firing, long range mortars I enjoy so much when playing the U.S.A.

JUN 28, 2037

I was concentrating so hard on keeping my remaining units alive I initially did not notice the game began to run "faster", as if 10,000 Russian units were not pathing anymore. Around this time three things happened that have improved the situation on the ground.

1. Three Military Goods plants came online. The combination of "massed", nonstop artillery and constant bombing runs were eating more MGs than I could produce. When I noticed it, we had a 2000t daily deficit, which was fairly expensive when buying the shortfall from World Market.

2. A Fusion Power plant completed building. I have been building one at a time as that is all we could afford and we currently have 8. They are a great drain, but in the long run will be worth it. I do not have any access to Uranium and buying it is also adding to the dwindling treasury.

3. 14 Stealth Bombers came off the production lines. These were immediately ordered to Siberia, via Canada and the Aleutian Islands.

Now, I was not sure what was causing the Russians to "slow" their attack. I switched over to Regional News and saw they had shortages!

This came as a surprise to me, but why would it affect the military units? I looked around some more, they have burned through their treasury faster than I have and are no longer the richest nation on earth. In fact they are almost bankrupt. I noticed they lowered DEFCON to 3 trying to save money and MAR is low and I hope dropping, though I had not been tracking it to see.

Current remaining forces;

As you can see a small force that was getting smaller. The Tera Sahabs killed several arty and cargo trucks.

But it seems like we will be able to hold so now I have to think beyond just surviving the ground attacks. We have built an Air Defense site, but it is more or less useless against the Russians and does little to deter them at all. We made the decision to pull some Anti Air assets from the home island and loaded a Carrier (largest cargo capacity I have) with AA units and started the long arduous trip.

Since we had some additional room, I decided to bring newer Anti-Tank units also.

I was in such a rush to get these units to Russia I overlooked one very important fact. Our Siberian base did not have a Sea Port! The carrier was not Amphibious rated either. Bah, I am slipping... I order it to the relative safety of the Aleutians and start a Sea Port...

https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
number47
General

Post by number47 »

GIJoe597 wrote:I was in such a rush to get them over I overlooked one very important fact. Our Siberian base did not have a Sea Port! The carrier was not Amphibious rated either. Bah, I am slipping... I order it to the relative safety of the Aleutians and start a Sea Port...
Ouch... :P

This was an extremely interesting read. :-) I only wish AI could pose such a challenge by itself :-(
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Ouch is right, that was a huge error on my part. I had 8 engineers on the home island that I loaded on transport planes and flew over to assist the Sea Port. Once it was done I used them to help build another Air Field slightly further south of the existing one. It is helping to keep the bombers, Arty and AA fully supplied as I also laid down track radiating from both Air Fields to assist in supply flow.

I have come to the conclusion that if the AI had adequate resources and could be made to follow logical tech research it would truly be a beast. I have reported via other AARs what it is capable of when it has everything it needs. This is the first time I have ever doubted my ability to hold. I was able to do a little recon after I posted the previous update and discovered there are still 100's if not 1000's of units inbound. They appear to be stuck without supply farther away than they have been. My guess is the Russian AI moved down the infrastructure slider in it's attempts to balance the budget as I had it at max when I was Russia. It is also possible I actually did make a dent in its resupply aircraft. I have been tempted to log in as Russia and see just how many units they have sent, but I just cannot do it, would seem like cheating, somehow. So if I cannot see it via recon flights, then by golly I just will not see it.

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

APR 06, 2038

With the introduction of the Terra Lamp we have been able to beat the Russ back somewhat. My what an adequate MR can do. 14ea have finished production and working in conjunction with the Stealth Bombers we are slowly overcoming their numbers.

Initially the Terra Lamp's were used exclusively to work on clearing the skies but we still needed additional, static firepower to help clear the ground. Enter the Navy, or as I like to think of them, Mobile Large Gun Platforms. In addition to excellent ground attack, at range, they have great anti air capability. The down side of the high tech naval vessels is they have a very poor combat time. Meaning they can only fire a few times, in this case they can only fire 10 times before needing to reload. This is why ships often leave a location you have them at, they are out of supply and will attempt to go to the last Sea Port they were based in. Knowing this, I used my 2 CVN-78 Carriers as supply platforms. With the added advantage of each one holds 5 F-35C CV which assisted in Anti Air and Anti Missile duties.

This was still not enough, I desperately needed a vessel with longer staying power to help with Anti Air. The D187 simply could not hang. After looking closely at all options, we decided on the D-34 Diamond. It has 8 times the staying power and does essentially the same damage overall. I know the Air Defense rating is lower, but still we chose it to supplement the D187.

Using all these units in tandem, we were able to slowly and cautiously push down the coast, with the goal being to capture the southern "point" before it curved back inland. If we could reach there, it was a perfect location for a new military base. Barracks, Air Field and Sea Port would be built. We advanced at a snails pace, 14 Terra Lamps working the skies and ground, 14 Stealth bombers attacking stacks further out. The goal here was to force the units to retreat, if you can inflict around 50% damage on them, they fall back for repair. So micro'ing the bombers and MR's we forced unit after unit to fall back. Supporting us and moving along the coast the naval did its part. Eventually, we made it to the Southern Point and built a large military base there. At this point the MR's transferred to the new Air Field while the Stealth Bombers stayed back at the original base. Range and reaction time not so important for their mission.

During this time we almost went bankrupt, getting as low as 30,000m in the treasury. I was forced to lower DEFECON to 3 as well as lower Wages and Training to recommended. We reached a sort of stalemate, with our treasury slowly building again. I did not initiate any attacks unless I absolutely had to during this period, for any attack drew a horde of Russian planes. We are now back up to 118,000m and I have raised Wages and Training to max again for as long as I can keep it there. Another negative issue is the falling of our MAR, guess they do not like pay cuts :)

Shortly after the wide area pic above of our area, Russian planes started coming in again, this time raining Anti Shipping missiles. I called up every plane I had in Siberia, old and new alike in an attempt to intercept the steel death. We could muster 30 planes total, 14 Terra's and 16 CA-1 Peregrines. We ordered the RN to stop shelling land based targets and concentrate on Anti-Air only. Wave after wave swept in, we were holding at first. The RN was superb, many times knocking down missiles just feet short of their decks.

I would send the Peregrines into the thick of the enemy, holding the Terra's back at range. The CA-1's took a heavy beating, I was not able to manage them like I wanted to, they started falling into the sea, flaming husks.. To their credit the RN did not give up, did not break formation, we were determined to hold at all costs. I would guess 100's of Russian fighters failed to return to base that day, each squadron was heavily damaged as they left after loosing their missile.

Finally, inevitably, they overwhelmed us. I was hearing the ship sunk audio, I paused and zoomed in, a Diamond was gone, a 2nd had its "back" broke, a missile impacting it amidships, it was sinking rapidly as a Helo tried to save some crew. Another was engulfed in flames and listing by the stern. I ordered it to repair, it did not make it. When the attacks slowed, we had lost all of our Diamonds, 3 of the Atlantic Sea's and very nearly lost a Gerald R. Ford Carrier, which slipped into the Dry Dock even as missiles were impacting it. (I was so entranced by this action I did not take any pics)

So, here we are. Something has to give. I know Russia has 155 Missile Fabs and are not likely to run out of missiles. The RN is battered and bloody, but still willing. We lost every one of our Peregrines and the Terra's are mauled with only 4 being fully repaired. The Air Field at Petropavlovsk has to be neutralized, it is essentially do or die..

We recall the remaining SF brigades to the southern base. Only 9 out of the original 21 are left, they come in by ones and twos, uniforms ragged, torn, malnourished. They have been in the field for nearly 18 months now and they showed it. A 747-700ER is called up from the home island and ordered to Siberia. We are going all in, a "Hail Mary". We order 75% of interceptors left in England with the appropriate range to move to Siberia. We will try to brute force the Special Forces onto Petropavlovsk Air Field. We are once again asking the impossible from these men, these men who give so much and ask for so little in return.

The fate of this campaign could very well hinge on this mission.

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

GIJoe597 wrote:

Shortly after the wide area pic above of our area, Russian planes started coming in again, this time raining Anti Shipping missiles. I called up every plane I had in Siberia, old and new alike in an attempt to intercept the steel death. We could muster 30 planes total, 14 Terra's and 16 CA-1 Peregrines. We ordered the RN to stop shelling land based targets and concentrate on Anti-Air only. Wave after wave swept in, we were holding at first. The RN was superb, many times knocking down missiles just feet short of their decks.
Its like a harpoon flashback :) So fun.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

What a pedigree, I have and enjoyed them all, as well as Fleet Command, although I am not digging for all the Harpoons :)

Interesting side note; I did recently re-install Jane's 688(I) Hunter-Killer to get the juices flowing again.. ahh the golden age of gaming.

dyllan7
Corporal

Post by dyllan7 »

Hey just a question, how do you switch nations in the middle of a game?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

1. As you are playing, save the game, name it something other than what it is actually named.

2. Exit the game, you do not have to exit all the way to desktop, just to the main menu.

3. Go to the Savegame folder, copy the file you just saved.

4. Paste it into the MULTIPLAYER folder.

5. Launch game as Multiplayer, select HOST, Click on SAVED games icon, select the save you just pasted and select any country you wish to play as. Then start game. You are now playing the same game but as a different country.

6. I will let game run for at least one tick of the clock, then SAVE, making note of the MP save name, exit game.

7. Go back to the Multiplayer Save folder, now cut or copy the new MP save and paste it into the regular SAVE folder.

You can now start normally as the new country.

It is not really as complicated as this looks, or I would not be able to do it since I am barely literate with computers.

dyllan7
Corporal

Post by dyllan7 »

Thats so simple, im shocked with myself that I didnt even consider that haha, thanks a lot!
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

You are welcome.

number47
General

Post by number47 »

Any new developments in British Chukotka? :D
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Well, well, I was waiting to see if anyone would ask. I have not played since last update, but since you asked I will fire it up again and report here soon. :)

number47
General

Post by number47 »

GIJoe597 wrote:...since you asked I will fire it up again and report here soon. :)
Glad to hear it :D
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Within 10 secs of me starting the game the Russian Air Force strikes again. Missiles inbound, I have the game paused so I have no idea what happens next, do I loose more ships? I blame number47! :)

Return to “After Action Reports”