Asset Manager missing "spotting types" - causes crash

Have a question about how to mod something? Or have an issue with one of our mod tools? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Traslogan
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Asset Manager missing "spotting types" - causes crash

Post by Traslogan »

Hey,

So anytime I try editing units, the asset manager likes to warn me it can't find the "spotting types" table in the data profiles folder, but it has never affected me until now.

I attempted to edit some spotting types in the asset manager regardless and this causes a guaranteed crash of the asset manager when attempting to export (about 90% in), and I'm assuming the two are linked (I can explicitly only change a spotting type and it will prompt the crash).

I tried referencing the spotting values on the wiki page, and it seems to still dislike that.

Does anyone else miss this file? I've tried a clean install of the Asset Manager in my steam tools and it still misses it.
Castellani
Corporal

Re: Asset Manager missing "spotting types" - causes crash

Post by Castellani »

Well that's interesting. In the Asset Manager's folder, there should be a SpottingTypes.txt file in the Definitions folder, as well as another SpottingTypes.txt file in the Data Profile folder. One describes the spotting types available in the game, and the other teaches the tool how to read that information. With either of them missing, the Equipment editor won't be able to make sense of SpotType1 and SpotType2 as more than an integer.

That said, it shouldn't be crashing on export - and those necessary files should definitely be included - so something is really going wrong. If you send me the file you're hoping to edit, I might be able to figure something out. Otherwise, this is quite nebulous. I almost miss the dreaded Croatian Decimals Problem
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

This is my functional DEFAULT.UNIT file, though I do mod many units in many ways, it is otherwise a functional non-crashing version: https://mega.nz/#!PbI3EaAD!4sZTh1Gp6FWg ... d4ljmnonl4

If I right click the row I want to edit and ask it to edit selected items, it will note it hasn't found spottingtypes.txt, and it will lock out the spot-type values, if I click on them, it produces this error stream:

https://mega.nz/#!vaZ31aqA!wEN4-ATJL33Y ... W4xmoCJvSM

It actually let me edit the Type 26 Patrol Ship to be about 200 spot type 1 today (You have to just edit it in the table rather than editing that one unit via right-click), but in the game it gave it a 4km unit spotting distance.

So I tried again, editing the "Squall" bomber (It's Unit ID escapes me, sorry) to have double its spotting range (Since it can see very little compared to any bomber of its time despite being strong otherwise)
Aaand it crashed out: https://mega.nz/#!yWhx1KgJ!Ux4IVjHPXGDC ... qXRTBBKv9U

The one thing I noticed is half the file size is missing when it performs this crash, it clearly misses a ton of writing to the export.

Reinstalling the asset manager from steam tools, checking it removed everything except some random debug file, and then reinstalling, does not add the spotting types folders for me.
I've had issues regarding the new map editor does not load for me (If I open the asset manager and click the map editor icon, it seems to load something but has never ever actually loaded the scenario editor. If I open the scenario editor from steam where it's not linked to the asset manager, it runs fine).

Hope this helps.
Castellani
Corporal

Post by Castellani »

Curiouser and curiouser! I can reproduce the missing file error, predictably, by removing the file. However, I can't get the Asset Manager to crash using missing or invalid spotType values (I don't know; maybe if you were using the spotting values directly instead of the type IDs, it could get ornery, but that is neither the case nor would it be a crash-level problem), and I can't get it to crash with a missing data profile (Or definitions file) either.

It stands to reason that it crashes when it tries to translate a problematic data row into plaintext to print onto the file, but it is not yet clear what it is about that row that is causing problems. If there is any message associated with the file-export crash, that would be helpful.
SpottingTypes.zip
If you unzip this into the data profile folder, it should get you one step closer, but I'm really concerned about why steam wasn't giving you that file (Or perhaps corrupting it?) in the first place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

yeah steam definitely does not want to give me said file.

I posted in an earlier thread months back about how I can't actually even use the scenario editor if I try to open it from the select-a-tool page when you open Supreme Ruler Content Editor in Steam Tools (But it works if I use the older version via just opening the Map Editor in steam tools) (viewtopic.php?f=72&t=30391)

That bug is still true, and just like with the current bug, a full uninstall/reinstall both of the game itself and its supporting tools has not helped.
The Editor has definitely made its SpottingTypes.txt in the Definitions folder, though even after a reinstall it claims it was written in 2018 at the top of the file.

Now if I go to edit the spotting types for that unit it will produce a tab of all the types it can change to, and exporting after this change (even to the SQuall bomber that prompted the previous crash) seems to work fine.

I can't spot any debug / crashlog from the previous crashes other than a lone debug.txt that just has 3 lines saying as follows:

"[0712/200637.619:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1
[0825/191111.201:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1
[0828/045056.874:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1"

So yeah having that file seems to have fixed it (Cheers!), but steam will not provide me that file under any circumstances of its own accord.

Return to “Modding Issues & Support”