Invisible Tech Names

Have a question about how to mod something? Or have an issue with one of our mod tools? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Traslogan
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Invisible Tech Names

Post by Traslogan »

Hi folks,

I'm dabbling in a little bit of modding for SR-U and I've added a couple of techs to give me a decent excuse for helping with some social services.

After recaching, the game clearly has said techs but their names are invisible in the tech list browser. I can open them up, see their effects, and they seem to work as intended (They were all originally duplicates of Automated Assembly Lines, then I've changed their names in the files).

Is there anything I might be missing that causes them to have no in-game name / title for the tech? Thanks in advance!

Edit: While I'm here, could I ask what's the different between just upping the output of a building via tech effects or changing its efficiency?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Invisible Tech Names

Post by YoMomma »

Last edited by YoMomma on Jun 30 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Gameplay 1st
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

YoMomma wrote: Apr 26 2019 The tech works, your problem is you didnt add the names in /Localize/LOCALEN/LocalText-TTR.csv.

I dont know difference between efficiency and output of production, but to me those techs are pretty fake. Since others will research that too, you get over production, facilities produce less and whats left is maintenance cost of the facilities. Atleast in 2020, maybe its usefull for other scenarios i dont know about those.
Thanks, I'll look into adding that into the other file.

Yeah I was trying to reduce maintenance costs of facilities more than anything else. It feels like in the 2020 scenarios, the maintenance costs have skyrocketed beyond compare. Even if I look at a nation like Scotland in Shattered World 2020, where GDP/c is a relatively stable $30k, even a couple of naval production facilities would come close to bankrupting the 6M Scots, and if I double my pop via invading the two Irelands then it still basically makes no difference as facilities cost so much maintenance in modern starts.

My first guess was making a singular facility more worthwhile in output would help, but then it seemed like upping base output was upping my costs of production, so I'm curious to see if just upping efficiency is better. Obviously this still doesn't get around military maintenance costs either.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

YoMomma wrote: Apr 26 2019 Im curious if that's going to work, lowering maintenance cost. I would suggest trying this in several techs with -20% or something, run the game for a few years, and see what the outcome worldwide is. The thing is, expences are linked with GDP/C, which is linked to tax income, atleast that's what we are suppose to believe.

There is another way to lower maintenance cost in world market file, but im pretty sure when i tried this GDP/C also dropped (this setting makes difference between 36,CW and 2020) which basicly made it useless. I have had a hard time fixing some regions with big population like India and China and basicly gave up in the hope of devs improving something.

Its a real pain, since there is no advantage of annexing someone besides making more troops. Big issue in a war game like this i would say. I almost never have more then 1k troops since i dont need more.

Good luck anyway good to see people trying stuff.
I've only messed with the TTRX and UNIT files, I wasn't aware we could even change a world market file. The wiki documentation just kind of talks about a few file types and I struggled to find much more on what to do so my changes have been very surface-level.
I had hoped I could reduce maintenance costs via tech effects, because there is a tech effect that reduces the maintenance cost of nuclear plants, but unless I can add a new effect in then there is no way to spread that across other facilities directly.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

YoMomma wrote: Apr 26 2019 Theres also, Finished goods facility cost and Finished goods cost.

Then theres also a third way, in the unit file all below there are all the facilities, with maintenance cost. Im pretty sure tho it will have influence on GDP/C.

A good way to learn modding is play other mods, see what you like, and check the files. Trial and error is your best friend. A good mod to always suggest is the mods from evildari who basicly transformed alot, if your looking for a more realistic feel in 2020 i would suggest my gold mods, but devs moved alot of those mods in archive for some reason. But its usefull if you wanna make alliances or something, just spy in those mods. In both user mods theres also a better explanation of the colums of what they are.
I couldn't see a direct maintenance cost in the editor when editing the facilities themelves. Did I just miss it somewhere?

Also after adding the names of the techs into their name fields in the localEN's tech spreadsheet, it's removed all tech names. Not sure if OpenOffice is saving it incorrectly or something, though I told it to keep the same file format.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

Got it to work by editing manually in Notepad++. I think OpenOffice ruins the format in some way that it's not telling me.

I tried manually looking at the default.UNIT in notepad++ whilst I was there and couldn't find anything relating to maintenance. There's IC cost, Uranium cost, and base money cost but nothing on actual base maintenance (Again unless I've completely missed it. It's definitely a total mess when you look manually)

Also is there a reason that all historic leaders disappear after recaching for mods? I've not interfered with that stuff at all as far as I know (again I've only adjusted facilities and techs, and then added the names for the 3 techs I've added in). Emmanuel Macron randomly reappeared during a game which only confuses me further lol
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Last edited by YoMomma on Jun 30 2019, edited 2 times in total.
Gameplay 1st
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

I modified production of the facilities and it actually uses up more of a hex's resources I noticed. e.g. I doubled uranium mines to 2.0, and it means that each facility now eats 2 out of the maximum 6 units of uranium on a hex. I suppose it is more efficient overall though.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

Nah I've not touched the scenario files. For now, strictly the default.UNIT, the default.TTRX, and the localEN for techs. Then I let it sit and crap out for 5-10 mins recaching and play.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

Hmm that didn't do anything. From what I can tell, any country that has an election reinstates the proper portrait as a few have regained their portraits overtime, but a full quit of the game program and then reloading hasn't done anything for it unfortunately. It's not the biggest issue, though it is weird with President Trump's tweets coming from a generic 3D yank.

Return to “Modding Issues & Support”