Modern Day World War 1

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

sparky282
Colonel
Human: Yes

Modern Day World War 1

Post by sparky282 »

I'm considering making a mash up of 2020 and world war one

My question is whats the easiest way to go about this

I have a few ideas in my head of ways its possible but they all seem to me pretty time consuming
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Modern Day World War 1

Post by evildari »

removing all techs and most unit designs from the cvp i guess - hope you have a good text editor and patience...
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

If you want a real world war, you should make the smaller countries be part of the bigger ones, else they will never care whats beyond their borders. Give not only US foreign bases, but give China and Russia access in central America by puppeting or annexing some regions below Mexico. Split up Africa again, now with Chinese influence.

Agressive ai stance is needed to improve the range where ai sends it units.

Make sure good unit designs are accessible to everyone and not just NATO regions.

Setup some alliances or China and Russia go mental.

Bringing back Austria/Hungary and the Ottoman empire is a good step in bringing balance. Middle east and Asia are regions i would look to improve to bring competition in the world war.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Rosalis wrote: Nov 29 2020 If you want a real world war, you should make the smaller countries be part of the bigger ones, else they will never care whats beyond their borders. Give not only US foreign bases, but give China and Russia access in central America by puppeting or annexing some regions below Mexico. Split up Africa again between European powers and the countries with good relations puppet or merge with China/Russia or whoever you want to make powerfull.

Agressive ai stance is needed to improve the range where ai sends it units.

Give red sphere (access to) Russian plane designs, their own suck.

Setup some alliances or China and Russia go mental.

These changes will be needed to prevent the world war to be finished within 2 years. Some scripted wars to split up Europe also wouldnt hurt or at the least adjust relations. Else you get one sided war declarations. The key would be to prevent traditional blue sphere vs red sphere, but rather aim for a scenario where blue sphere is divided and red sphere aim to help eachother. This way it will be more balanced and will take far longer. Blue sphere economy + units is just way stronger.

To me there is no easy way to accomplish a descent modern world war in SRU. Everything is to one sided with no opportunity for the ai to catch up in war. 1 war declaration of China/Russia and it will be hated by the whole world, so where do the rest buy units from?? Thats where alliances come in handy. They will think twice before declaring war, since they might loose alliances and if they declare war, there are still regions which allied them and might bring others clooser to Russia/China.
I would be using the map and relations on world war 1 the only change would be modern units so the world would look very different both with Russia being an ally with the UK at the start and Germany/Austria/hungry being the main red spere countries
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

That mod would be really great! 8O
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

evildari wrote: Nov 29 2020 removing all techs and most unit designs from the cvp i guess - hope you have a good text editor and patience...
Yes I think that's the only way maybe a project for the Christmas holidays it's not too hard until you remember the groupings in the W2020.cvp file which makes things a bit more complex as somewhere like the UK has maybe 3 or 4 places to look for the techs
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Despite this being a big project I have actually made some progress at updating the tech and known units to a 1990 era at the current time for some of the major countries

One thing I would like to do is remove the events that fire in the first year of the WW1 sandbox I found the DEFAULT.newsitems file but it seems that's only part of it?

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”