3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Balthagor »

Haven't forgotten about you, just been terribly busy :(
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I cannot really blame you as I myself have not had much time to work on this the past month and a half. Unfortunately my mid to late march estimate is also not going to hold up so it will be a bit more time than planned.
I will try an make what I can and get it mailed when I have the ability to convert it. You can then always do the final processing when you have the time.

Possibly this will mean mostly Imperial Navy (maybe with a bit of US Navy) and more modern Asiatic stuff as that is what I have knowledge off and reference for (and potentially models that can more easily be converted).

T-72 and Leopard 2A6 is more or less done (still need conversion though) but for a bit of time that will likely be the last USSR and western stuff.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I found a bit of time to work on this and decided to try and see how battleships with a 900 tris limit would turn out.
Even more so than the infantry these are very close to the 900 cap. The least detailed one is around 875 but it is with the lower part of the hull included so final count will be slightly lower.
For texturing I am recycling textures from previous models I have made which will speed up the process.

With Balthagor being busy and my time also being limited I think I will focus on modelling and texturing rather than trying to find a temporary solution for me not having a proper windows computer.
kettu
Sergeant

Post by kettu »

Wow great work Nerei.
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Awesome!
OBAYER
Corporal

Post by OBAYER »

Do we have any chances to see those models in game ?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

OBAYER wrote:Do we have any chances to see those models in game ?
Ultimately that is down to Chris Latour and BG. I just send the models and textures to them (well I do when I am not overburdened with regular 3D work).
If all else fails I guess I can look into it but given that I prefer to work in 3D compared to messing with conversions and this takes quite a bit of time I prefer this setup quite a bit.

On a semi related note. With a bit of luck I should be able to get back to this in a week or two. Things should have calmed down by then.
I have put a bit more time into the battleships. However given that texturing those takes quite a bit longer than say planes or tanks only the Yamato is even remotely close to being textured. That ship probably has taken more work than the T-55, T-72 and Leopard 2A6 combined.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Okay it is fairly certain I can get back to this come next week. Again sorry for disappearing

Also Yamato more or less done.
This ship has seriously taken an insanely long time to texture. I will probably have to do a few more tweaks but the texturing is all but done.
Final tris count 907 with below waterline hull 873 without (I am assuming that is okay as the below waterline hull is not as such used inside the actual game). I just had to have the rangefinders included
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Sorry that I've not gotten back to this, my current work is simply keeping me too busy to do much else :(

I'll try and keep this in mind for a "summer project".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Balthagor wrote:Sorry that I've not gotten back to this, my current work is simply keeping me too busy to do much else :(

I'll try and keep this in mind for a "summer project".
Well it is hard to make absolute demands when you do this in your sparetime. That is my personal excuse at least.

As for me I am also treating this as a summer project right now. Barring no unforeseen events I should be able to spend some time on this until sometime in August.

You can probably expect to get some Japanese units (and a few others) in your mail within the next few weeks if all goes well.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Finally got around to sending some (hopefully) properly converted models.
I am not entirely sure I still am happy with the T-72 texturing so I guess I might have to redo that at some point.
So far there is only one texture pattern for these vehicles. With a bit of luck I can get around to making a Generic one (basically just dark green) also so the mix and match of camouflage patterns will be kept at a minimum.

A few question:
With modern vehicles like say the Chinese ZTZ-99 should I go for the fairly distinct digital camouflage or a more traditional pattern

Also I am considering a few western post WW II tanks. The main ones so far is: M41 Walker Bulldog, M48 Patton, M1A2 TUSK, Centurion. Maybe also Leclerc, AMX 30 and/or Challenger but I am not that knowledgeable about those.
Would that be a good selection of tanks and would it overlap too much with what models are already there? I have specifically not mentioned the Leopard II as I already have one of those mostly done. I am just giving the texturing an overhaul.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Wow, these are great!! You truly are talented! 8)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Despite being roughy 600 tris models with a 512x512 texture map they actually take quite a bit of time to make. They are however quite fun to work on. The restrictions put on them means there is a challenge in trying to get the most out of as little as possible.

I actually put far more time into these models than I do playing the game. That however is fairly typical for me when I start messing around with modding a game which I guess I can label this as being.

Here is my take on the M41. Camouflage patterns so far is generic, German, Japanese and RoK (yes they only operated it for a short while as a training vehicle from what I can find but I just happen to like that camouflage pattern). I still need RoC and naturally US. I generally try and keep as close to a single pattern for each nationality as possible. This is my reason for picking those patterns for the M41 despite it probably not being entirely historically accurate.

I am Still trying to figure out what pattern to use for the US. Problem is quite a few nations have similar patterns of green, black and brown. I could go with some MERDC pattern I guess. The summer version at least appears to be fairly unique and I kinda like this look.

Also still some work to be done on it but the leopard 2A6 texture update/rework is starting to take shape (although now that I look at it I managed to kill a good part of the changes I made with shadows. Yay go me!). Still not sure what versions to make besides German and something generic green.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Superb work! What other games have you done graphics for?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Lets see I have messed a bit around with games like Distant worlds and space empires although I mostly just did that for my own enjoyment. I also had some fun with the Civilisation series but that was some years ago. I also at one point tried Kerbal Space Program but I kinda lost focus on it once I had to take the models into Unity and do all kinds of things with them to get them to work.
There is probably more but it has been a few years since I last really dug into modding game graphics.
This is the first time I have worked with such a strict limit (900 tris and 512 square texture).

On a semi related note Balthagor is busy this month so right now I am aiming more towards getting models done than converting them (as mentioned I prefer making things over adjusting them). I have swapped from armour towards getting the Dai-Nippon Teikoku Kaigun more or less done. Currently I am about 4-5 cruisers, a destroyer, 2 battleships, a light carrier and (perhaps) a submarine short of what I would ideally like to get done.
By most measurements my list is probably a bit long but Japanese ships are by far my favourite.

For the record some of the vessels do break the 900 tris limit but only when the below waterline hull section is included in the number. I hope that is okay.

On another note I now officially have very little other work to do the next few months so unless things change I should get a lot more done (not that I had that much the last 2 weeks but still)

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”