3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

I bought this game during steams holiday sale and after having played it a bit I thought I would like dig into modding as it appears to offer fairly extensive options.

There are already good mods out there dealing with balancing military equipment, economy etc and honestly and I am not much with spreadsheets and extensive testing. I am more into building 3D models and really that is more something I could see myself doing and the modding manual certainly appears to indicate that is possible.

I dug up some models for another project that will probably never become anything. The planes are really just fairly basic props for usage with some navy vessels that where the real focus and unfortunately have far too many tris (6-10K+) to really work out. Tris count for these are around 400-850 so generally within acceptable range.

The textures have to be reworked a bit (and ideally also improved). They do not take up an area larger than 512 square but they are designed around a different texture setup which would likely have to be changed.

http://s21.postimg.org/wsbncoq9x/lineup_01.png

Is it worth it for me to try and convert (and improve) these and/or building other models? I have not been able to find much when it comes to adding 3D models to this game except the modding manual so it is a bit of jumping into the dark.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Balthagor »

What did you use to make these? If you can email them to me as .max or .3ds files and include the textures as .PSD, .JPG or .PNG I can try and convert them for use with the game.

If they are in the right format, we can add them to the game for you and share them with everyone, although they would not be "assigned" to any units initially. They would just be available pictures that modders could re-point to for existing/new units.

Please zip the files before sending.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Glad the models might serve a purpose. I will however most likely just rebuild the submarines. The result will be better if I build it for a certain tris limit. As said the planes have to be cut out of a 4K square texture map first.

I use a slightly old version of Maya. It does not natively support exporting a 3DS Max file. It can however export them as a .fbx which 3DS Max should have no problem reading. I find It is a good way to port files between the two. Alternatively I can install a student version of 3DS Max and use that to port it over but that means it will be tagged as a file coming from a student machine which may or may not be a problem depending on how you view it.
Whichever you prefer I do not mind either approach.

Admitted it might also take some extra time as I tend to jump between projects but you can have those that would work with the game if you want. As an example I started on a JMSDF Takanami class destroyer. It really is a nice change to work with the restrictions imposed.

Please ignore the magenta bits.

Tris count is 888 but strip off the 2 phalanx, the rudders, propellers and some of the radar equipment and it will drop down to around 600 just fine if you prefer a lower tris count. The model is made to easily be cut at the waterline which will also save some tris.
The texture map is 512x512.
As said you can have that one also once it is done.

The same is true with some soviet ships I found that could do with a rework. They are so old the textures are downright embarrassing so I will most definitely not show them in their current form. The meshes are decent enough though once cleaned up a bit.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zip and send me one to test, I'll see how it goes. Looks good though.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have sent you the Takanami in .fbx format. The texture is just .png.

I did a bit of testing and found no problems but if you got any let me know. I used the 2010 encoding so if your version of 3DS Max is older than that it could give problems. It is basically the oldest available except the original motion builder version.

BTW is it better for structures like the lattice mast to use a black background or transparency? If transparency is better my next question would be if the textures applied are single sided? If they are I would think I can make a slightly smaller duplicate of the mast and place inside the original with normals reversed. That solution however would look horrible if they are not single sided.

Also here is a few models of tanks. Yes a lot of work is still left on texturing. Tris count is in the 650-700 region.
Bonus points for guessing the identity of the vehicles.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

This thread just made me hope again I'll see a proper T-55 and T-72 in my favorite game :cry: :cry: :cry:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Chris Latour willing to add them to the game and my conversion to .3ds working I am willing to add them to my to-do list (currently behind those 4 tanks, Liaoning, a few JMSDF ships and a few planes but nothing on my priority lists are ever set in stone).

Finding blueprint style references and pictures in general for those 2 should be easypeasy so no problem there but if you can give me an idea of what kind of camouflage (if any) you want me to try and give it that would be great.

In general I do not mind taking requests for models. I like building 3D models. I do however retain the right to reject any but I certainly will consider them.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

There was a whole thread suggesting new 3d models during SR:CW development. Most of those that were WWII models we did get eventually in SR36/U but the cold war era models are still left to be desired for... :-(

Anyway, whatever you decide to "donate" to BG, the community will greatly appreciate it! :-)

Cheers!

EDIT: as for the camos...pure green would do just fine...
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote:Also here is a few models of tanks. Yes a lot of work is still left on texturing. Tris count is in the 650-700 region.
Bonus points for guessing the identity of the vehicles.
Not 100% sure but could be (left from right)

Type 10
Type 90
Type 74
Type 61
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I woul'd like to see all these new (japanese) models :-)
Please do the T-55/T-72/T-64/T-80 models if possible. Many Cold war era units are lacking proper graphic representation.

With community improving the game through modding, maybe BG's can focus their work on AI.
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Got the files, busy week at the new studio.

I'll try and look at them on the weekend.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Balthagor wrote:Got the files, busy week at the new studio.

I'll try and look at them on the weekend.
I guess we will just have to accept that you for some strange reason put priority of the work that you get paid to do ;)

Seriously there is no rush. I can also try and make larger collections to send so you do not get them one at a time.

——————————————————————————

Yes it is the indigenous JGSDF tanks. I happen to have a preference towards Japanese equipment.

Here is the Type 10 with texturing more or less finished. It might need a bit more texture work on the chassis on the part normally covered by the turret as it will show up fairly bland in when it is turned. Also I might add a bit more wear and tear to make it look less like it just rolled off the assembly line.
Tris count is 651 but can be lowered a bit if say the bottom of the turret and chassis is removed.

I do have the initial mesh of a T-55 done. Unfortunately that is generally the quick part of it. Texturing and UV mapping is the time consuming part of making these.
However the camouflage patter on say the Type 10 is not really what takes time to make (it is all the small details like hatches, bolts etc and ensuring that the shadow effects are not wildly contradicting) so it should be fairly easy to do say a generic woodland/green (like say found on some Indian versions), generic desert (basically all mid eastern countries) as well as a USSR and PRC (as the Type 59) specific pattern.
I might make it so creating a modernised version is fairly easy as it would mainly require adding some props here at there on it while cutting a few other parts to save tris.

I do not mind putting more USSR tanks on my to-do list. They did export their hardware to quite a few countries so from that perspective they are important and even fo the few pieces which they did not I guess the USSR is prominent enough that they should have unique equipment.

Just for the fun of it here is Liaoning. Tris count just under 600. I might just end up stripping off the radomes and using those tris for something else.
yes it is still very much WIP in terms of texturing
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Got some work done on the T-55 the last few days.
Tris count ranges from around 635 to 675

The vehicles are basically an olive T-55 with a USSR style red star, a PRC Type 59 with PLA emblem, green generic T-55 loosely based on a picture of a vehicle from the Indian army and finally a T-55 with a paint scheme loosely based on the Egyptian army.

I have considered adding a camouflage pattern to the Type 59 to better differentiate it from the USSR version but ultimately both apparently like(d) that drab olive colour.

Any changes to these colourations or entirely new ones I should try and make? They are fairly easy and fast to do.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I'll suggest doing your work without any marks on tanks. Since models in SR are used by the type of equipment and not by the region, please remove red stars or we'll have some strange situations (e.g. Finns or Iranians using red stars on their tanks).
Any chance for versions with ERA blocks?

Anyway, excellent work! :-)
Please teach AI everything!
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Great job man!
+1 on ERA version

Also, holding fingers crossed for some T-72 versions :D