3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

As mentioned I have mainly been messing around with infantry. So here’s my first 5 takes on infantry.
Actually it is some of the first really low tris humans I have made. Most have been over 25K tris.

All are still very much work in progress. The textures on the character 2nd from left might get reworked more or less completely.
Tris count is generally between 680 and 750.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here’s a challenge for you all.

Mention say 4-5 ships from the ship types: Aircraft carrier, battleship/battlecruiser, heavy cruiser, light cruiser, destroyer, submarines and auxiliary that you think is important to have mainly for the US and/or UK during the second world war (if it can extend into the Korean/early cold war all the better). The numbers are not set in stone, I just want to cut the number down from “all are important”.
Paper projects like the Montana is fine just keep it within reason (e.g. no H43/44).

No need to cover Japan, I already have a good list for them (admittedly the only navy I really know much anything about hence this post).

I am somewhat busy with other things right now and probably will be for some time but after that I have probably had enough of a hiatus from second world war ships to jump back into making some.

Also no I have not forgotten the T-72. I have a mostly finished model that needs UV-mapping and texturing. I hope to find the time to finish it up soon.

Yes this would take a really long time but it is mainly so I have something to jump between depending on what I feel like making. Sometimes I just feel more like building a second world war battleship than a cold war bomber.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Great job!
I know that now we are all going to ask too much but are there any chances to do some more land units like Leopard 2 tank, T-90 or Marder IFV?
As for american ships:

CVs class: Essex, Independance, Midway, Lexington, Casablanca
BBs/CAs/CLs class: Iowa, South Dakota, Alaska, Pennsylvania, Northampton, St. Louis, Baltimore, Omaha, Brooklyn, Cleveland
DDs class: Fletcher, Gearing, Gleaves, Benham, Clemson
Patrol class: Evarts, SC-497, PC-461, PT boat
Sub class: S class, Narwhal, Gato/Balao, Sargo, Tench
Transports: Liberty ship, Neosho, LST, APA-4 (APD), American Legion (APD)

Hope this helps :-)

P.S. can't wait to see japanese ships [_]B
Please teach AI everything!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I can work with that list sure.

As I have probably said you can suggest just about anything that makes sense and I promise I will seriously consider the suggestion. I cannot give any timeframe though.

As for Japanese ships well here is a start. This is again me being fairly cheap and converting existing models I made some time ago. The texture maps are better than those of the planes but still not perfect. Doing it this way is quite fast compared to building them from scratch but the selection is limited to what I have already made. I also do suspect that battleships and cruisers are not as easy to adjust as carriers, submarines and destroyers.
For the record Kaga still need a bit of tweaking and some of the textures do show some signs of being rescaled but overall I think it will be acceptable.

Tris count is a bit in the high approaching 900 for the Shōkaku and 800 for Akagi but that is with the keel included. They are about 800 and 675 respectively with those removed.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I <think> I will get to the office this weekend...

My new commute to work is 10mins door to door. It has spoiled me since getting out to BG is 30mins door to door, and not in a direction I'm usually going.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Took a bit of time to convert my Shimakaze model to a more low tris version.

Tris count is again high (relatively that is 900 is quite low by most standards) but of all the destroyers I have this one is probably the hardest to get really low tris. Also I really want to keep a few details like the sixteen petal imperial chrysanthemum on bow of the ships.

I did a full index of what Nippon Kaigun ship models I have (that are mostly complete)

Carriers: Akagi, Kaga, Sōryū, Hiryū, Shōkaku, Taihō, Ryūjō, Zuihō
Battleships: Kongō, Fusō, Nagato, Amagi (Basically Akagi before the carrier conversion), Yamato, A-150 (original 90.000 tonne plan)
Heavy cruisers: Myōkō, Takao, Mogami, Tone, 1941 project.
Light Cruisers: Tenryu (both before and after the planned AA conversion), Nagara
Destroyers: Minekaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuharu, Kagerō, Akizuki, Shimakaze, Tachibana.
Torpedo boat: Ōtori
Submarines: Otsu-Gata, Sentaka, Sentoku (I-400)

Note that some might not be worth it to convert.

Also found some models of the american battleships present at Pearl Harbour that potentially could be converted.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I'm speachless :-)
Please teach AI everything!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have been somewhat more busy so not that much to show yet.
I do however have a cold war Chinese soldier from roughly 1970. I have tried to make his outfit look roughly like a type 65 uniform.
By no means perfect and especially the face shows the low detail level.
tris count just under 750 but stripping off his bags, backpack and tools can bring it down by about 85. I might also be able to remove a few more faces once I have him posed and know what will not be seen.
He may or may not get a few more details

Next up probably the Korean war US infantry (the person in a long coat on the top of page 3)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It should be noted that you will need to "pose" them. We don't rig our units.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:It should be noted that you will need to "pose" them. We don't rig our units.
Have you found time to check if they are usable in SR?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Actually I do plan to do full rigs for the characters. Admitted it has as much to make posing them easier as anything. Modelling them in a t-pose makes it easier to make good uv maps.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nice!
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

They are compatible, with a bit of work.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Sorry I am a bit off the grid right now. Got some family problems and and I am quite a bit away from home so converting models is not really possible.

I can do a bit of modelling/texturing when time permits but it is not that much really.

For the record I found that tiny Takanami cute :p

I vote for units like say this tank
If I cut a few corners I can probably make something like this
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Okay I had a bit of time to work on some models (for the record when you work with 3D for say 12 hours a day spending your spare-time doing it is a bit less attractive).

Unfortunately except for my netbook which makes my 5 year old macbook pro look like a true monster gaming computer I do not really have access to any PC running windows (that I can install anything on that is). Getting files converted to a 3DS max readable format thus is still on the "would be nice to get done" list.

Anyway here is my take on a few tanks, I got several more models but they are still stuck in the land of half done textures
tris count is just over 500 and just over 650

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”