3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

It is probably a bit closer to the BA Harrier GR.5 as I mostly used reference for that aircraft but really at these scales such differences are trivial.

This one will be the last one. There is no chance I will get nr. 25 ready.
There is still a few aircraft I want to finish but they will be for January.
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

Is it F-5 Tiger II ?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Sorry I have been taking a few days off from this after all those aircraft.

Indeed it is a Northrop F-5.

Also I finally got around to giving the Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier some colouring. Still a good ways to go but it is getting there.
The rendering is only with an ambient lightsource so it is roughly as it would appear in-game. It still need a bit of shading work as particularly the rear superstructure is largely just a blob right now
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nice!
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Dec 24 2018 It is probably a bit closer to the BA Harrier GR.5 as I mostly used reference for that aircraft but really at these scales such differences are trivial.
So it should be base it on the plane that came first :D

The QE Carrier looks great I really can't wait to have that in game next to my HMS Dragon 8)

Good luck on sorting windows 10 I have had issues it's very automated fine if you have no idea how a pc works not so great if your trying to install your new 2080 RTX and all windows wants to do is install basic display drivers then shut the card down :evil:
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is actually not the graphics card (this time). I once had Windows 7 decide that my perfectly fine Nvidia drivers was not good enough and what it really had to do was partially override them with its own ancient trashy drivers. Turns out that makes it BSOD whenever you put load on the graphics card.
In the end the only solution was to actively purge all windows graphics drivers.

This time it appears windows have problems communicating with some of the cores of my CPU, complains about power levels on my CPU and whatnot throwing BSOD's liberally along the way. I am fairly certain my not very old 850W platinum rated power supply is capable of handling this especially as the CPU not even overclocked and Linux has no issues (as usual).
From the best I can determine 10 has decided to use it's own drivers for the motherboard instead of those provided by the manufacturer. Ironically despite this it could not install the network card. 7 had the same issue with my last 2 motherboards so that is typical M$. Naturally Linux handled all 3 just fine. Seriously what is it with M$ and not being able to make good generic drivers?

At least I had a external optical drive as without that I would have had to download the drivers in Linux and copy them over to windows to get them as my cabinet comes with support for a 360mm cooler instead of optical drives.

It appears to work now but the problem is that as I have 10 Home I never know when M$ decides to dump crap drivers on me again. I may actually have to use the metered hack or something like that to try and regain control. I am most certainly not paying for the privilege of getting a slightly less broken version of 10 either.

On a sidenote those 9th gen intel CPU boxes are some of the best computer hardware boxes I have had. I have put some fairy lights into mine so now I have a dimly glowing blue polygonal box next to my desk.

Anyway enough about windows.

Personally I am more interested in these two but then again I tend to stick with Japan so I guess that is no surprise.
These two more or less represents the extremes of post war destroyers (if we ignore Harukaze as that is largely a US kit) with Ayanami being one of the earliest and Asahi being the latest destroyer.
Asahi is actually made mostly with existing texture elements most of them taken from Akizuki. The most extreme I have done so far is copy-pasting and colour adjusting.

More on Queen Elizabeth soon and likely also CVN-65 Enterprise.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

More great models

Can I ask what is the reason behind so many Japanese models? I Know you make what takes your fancy so just curious really its probably as simple that you like playing as them :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is really just a combination of the armed forces I know and the nations I play in-game. Modern Japan is by far the one I play the most followed by the PRC and ROK.

Also knowing where to get good references helps and I do that with Japan to a much greater extend than I do with say France.

Finally USS Enterprise CVN-65 rendering.
Rear port sponson is getting a rework to fit a Phalanx CIWS and port side in general needs a bit more work. Also I would like to give the deck weathering and general wear and tear but other than that I do not expect to do that much more with this model.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Be great to have a few more carriers in the game.

Any plans to do any helicopter carrier HMS ocean, America class and Mistral etc?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I do have a few other carriers planned.
First off there is the Liaoning which can represent the Russian Kuznetsov and followup Project 001A/002 fairly well (in most PRC sources I have seen the 001A/Shandong is referred to as 002). I also got a Project 23000E Shtorm but that is not too far along and neither are the Kitty Hawk class carrier John F. Kennedy. Those two will probably happen at some later time.

A PRC Type 002 (or 003 as some PRC sources name it) would be interesting to make but actual source material is rare and I am less inclined to make a fanfic carrier and proclaim it to be a real vessel.

That said I do have a few fictive or planned aircraft carriers planned. The most likely is a Izumo refit with a ski-jump ramp. The Japanese MOD is planning to basically carry out this refit and operate F-35B's from these ships. I might give it a different hull number though.

The most likely helicopter vessels would be Dokdo (I got an ancient model of this one although I will probably scrap it) and to a lesser extend Mistral.
I also want to make a Type 075 LPD but almost all source material is basically fanfic.
Not sure a Type 071 LPD qualifies but I am also planning to make one of those.
Beyond that it is hard to say. There are very few vessels I would say I would not make and all of those are basically what I consider stupid ideas such as Project Habakkuk or H-44.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Good to hear there's a few in the pipeline its something kinda missing from the game without your models the selection on carriers is very boring keep up the great works.

The planes you shared over xmas where brilliant :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The reason I am working on warships now is in part due to those aircraft. I need a short break from them.

Also I forgot 4 carriers though to be fair 3 of them are not very far along. The only one that is anywhere near presentable is a by now old SCB-125 converted Essex class aircraft carrier. I do however still consider the model acceptable.
This model is partly UV-mapped.

The other 3 are only partially modelled. These are the Indian Vikrant (the old one) and Viraat. They can probably also be used to represent a Majestic and Centaur class carrier in general.
I picked these originally to represent early and late cold war carriers that is not obviously a US vessel. The Colossus/Majestic in particular should cover quite a few nations.
The final one is the French Clemenceau class.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

More half-completed warships. This time an Essex with angled flightdeck and a California class nuclear powered guided missile cruiser. Both models are from early to mid 2017.
Both are rendered with only ambient lights as can be seen on the slightly blobby superstructure of the California.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

I can sort of see what you mean but they still look fine to me
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is down to the way the game handles lighting. There are no directional lights that can create different illumination on different surfaces or shadows the models can cast.
Details on the model alone will not do much unless there is textures to make them stand out.

Here is Megatron wtih a basic grey shading both with and without me trying to make details stand out. The black is filtering and would not be visible in-game either.
For tanks the camouflage patterns tend to do a lot on their own but with warships these details are far more likely to disappear.

You can also compare the bow of Vikrant to the above Essex. Their geometry is largely identical. Essex just has some shading work done.
Vikrant will naturally also get it at some point

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”