3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

It is mainly a matter of the further along they are the easier/faster it is to finish them.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Been delaying making new models a bit as I am mostly retouching older ones.
Nothing major just applying better shading and contrast to help make details stand out.

Here is an example of the T-55 (rusisan regional texture) before and after.
Contrast and shading might be a bit on the high end but at this scale it helps make details stand out.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

can definitely notice the diffrence looks good
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

So with the latest patch approaching the point of going gold (assuming we can call it that for a patch) and being a bit tired of rendering and editing shading I thought I would make something different.

So Renault FT-17
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

haha, that's terrific one of the many strange tanks the french made :lol:
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The Renault FT/FT-17 is actually a quite interesting tank. It is from the Great war but looking at the design it really does not stand that much out from 1930's vehicles which is quite unusual compared to most Great War tanks.

Here is another old piece of hardware. The Fiat BR.20 medium bomber.
Paint job is Regia Aeronautica Italiana, North Africa roughly mid 1941.
It still need some detailing, weathering and I might end up rebuilding the dorsal turret depending on what further image references I can find.

Also it needs a pegleg Pete just behind the rear door.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Looking good i'm sure they improve with every model you do.

anything to show of the asiatic warships?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Not as much as I would have liked. My time have been a bit limited and warships at the best of times take a long time to make. That is which is why I went with the BR.20 as aircraft as those tend to be among the fastest models to make. Also it was partially done anyway.

I have however not forgotten them. They are just delayed a bit.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

fair enough these things happen life gets in the way with our hobbies take your time buddy
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It appears that I need to get a new computer. My old laptop has what appears to be a swollen battery and given that it is Apple and they are idiots that think making everything as one block to save a few mm in thickness that means replacing a battery might cost me $1000 if I am lucky. Back in the day of the powerbook you just bought a new battery for 1/10th that price.
I really do not feel like paying that much for a computer that is over 3 years old. Buying a new Mac basically means buying another expensive computer with the same risks and that does not feel all that attractive either.

So after quite a long time of being mainly an Apple user it appears I will be going back to winblows.

I have made backups of al relevant files relating to this project so that should not be an issue but I might have to find some new software solutions. Most of the software I use are physical copies that do not include windows versions. That said doing a bit of research I can get quite a few years photoshop subscriptions for difference between a new Mac and windows computer.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Make sure you put that battery where it does not burn down your house!

For software on windows (7) i use these free (maybe even opensource) software:
gimp for 2d image manipulation like tbits editing and some terrain textures
blender for 3d models, there is an exporter plugin that enables you to export to direct x files.
Unfortunately i found no import plugin for those.
For unit file editing (and some more) i use freeoffice planmaker (free 30 day trial, after that free registration with email) as good as excel and can read&write to xlsx
Useful texteditor pspad or notepad++
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

evildari wrote: May 29 2020 For unit file editing (and some more) i use freeoffice planmaker (free 30 day trial, after that free registration with email) as good as excel and can read&write to xlsx
I still don't understand why people dont use the inculded content editor for unit files its so much easier
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

can you also easily filter for several properties, analyse and balance with formulaes, calculate values, make comments to any entry you like, have several cross checks even to other files like the ttrx files where you can link back to unit to even automatically set used flags, and export your work in about 20 seconds depending on how fast you can choose your target folder and name?
Seriously i wonder how bg can even efficiently work with such a tool, it maybe ok for small edits , but finding ie. any weird values with it alone is a complete chore.
If it is working for you then be happy about it - i just wanted to give info about non-cost software for the windows platform wich i found very useful in modding this game.
Even more since Nerei helped me to get models into the game.

Also forgot:
ImageMagick : very useful if you like to make HD-Tiles out of complete planetary images
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

evildari wrote: May 30 2020 can you also easily filter for several properties, analyse and balance with formulaes, calculate values, make comments to any entry you like, have several cross checks even to other files like the ttrx files where you can link back to unit to even automatically set used flags, and export your work in about 20 seconds depending on how fast you can choose your target folder and name?
Seriously i wonder how bg can even efficiently work with such a tool, it maybe ok for small edits , but finding ie. any weird values with it alone is a complete chore.
If it is working for you then be happy about it - i just wanted to give info about non-cost software for the windows platform wich i found very useful in modding this game.
You can filter for as many properties as you want and sort by that property also.
There's a description section which is ideal for comments
and I can export on my system the .unit file in like 4sec

Either way if you are happy
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

okay so I am on a new computer now. Time to reinstall a lot of software.
I decided to hand the old one in for a check. The cost for such a check is fairly low and the place is Apple certified so if there is any sort of warranty both the check and repair is free.
Even if not it means I can get a proper diagnosis for it. That will decide if I say order a 3rd party battery and replacement kit from say ifixit and do it myself.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”