3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

I plan to finish some more B-24J regional textures. After that I will start converting models. JS Maya is probably good enough as is and I can always do tweaks post although I might still add a few pieces on the midship deck.

The good thing is that I can reuse the plating effect for other variants as that takes time and the artwork on these aircraft are in general a lot less complex than Dragon and his tail.
I really suspect South Africa, India, both Chinas, USSR and whatever else I nation might end up covering will be less work than that one.

A significant part of the difference between JS Atago and JS Maya is that I render all models now without any kind of Maya related shading (the program not the ship). This means JS Atago is more blobby than JS Maya. This is more fitting with how the game does it. It should also be said that JS Atago is one of the first models I have made and JS Maya is probably something like model 315 (ignoring anything I have redone).

Also yes a notable part of those models are Japanese be it Imperial SDF (probably mostly SDF). Just search your meshes folder for textures files ending with "J.dds". That will give you the number of Japanese regional textures. Anything in the region 1536 to around 2048 is done by me. Add to that all the JMSDF or IJN warships I have made as except for like 3 of them these lack regional textures. My guess this will add up to well above 100.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is the full set of B-24J's
A few of them are probably not all that important but outside The dragon and his tail they where not too demanding to make so hey why not.

Also here is the modified Flight I Arleigh Burke.
The model has had the CIWS and Mk 141 replaced with the new models and some radomes installed onto the bridge as well as bit of texture adjustment.
Comparing USS Arleigh Burke to JS Maya I have to say I prefer Maya but if I compare how much time each vessel has taken that probably also explains it as Maya has taken a lot longer.

Next up will be converting these and with a bit of luck I will also get around to making UGBITS.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Next set of models

added:
1688 - JS Maya DDG 179
1720 - Project 705 Lira (Alfa) class SSN
1819 - Type 23 class frigate HMS Northumberland
1824 - US Navy flight I Arleigh Burke
2030 - PLAN Type 051C DDG Shenyang
2040 - Consolidated B-24J Liberator (regional variant CMQRUV)
UGBITS will be done for the full release

Download link

This is the 2nd pre-release and includes all the content from the first. Unless there are any issues my plan is to get the UGBITS done and call this a proper release when done.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Jan 01 2021 Next set of models

added:
1688 - JS Maya DDG 179
1720 - Project 705 Lira (Alfa) class SSN
1819 - Type 23 class frigate HMS Northumberland
1824 - US Navy flight I Arleigh Burke
2030 - PLAN Type 051C DDG Shenyang
2040 - Consolidated B-24J Liberator (regional variant CMQRUV)
UGBITS will be done for the full release

Download link

This is the 2nd pre-release and includes all the content from the first. Unless there are any issues my plan is to get the UGBITS done and call this a proper release when done.
Morning Nerei great this has been released but unless I'm missing something I can't find the new units in the linked file? seems to just be the 01Release still
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Yes I had attached the wrong file. It should be fixed now
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Jan 02 2021 Yes I had attached the wrong file. It should be fixed now

Brilliant! The models that is! The Type 23 rocks :D :D

Just a random thought but any plans to do a MiG 29?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

At some point I probably want to make a MiG-29.
The only annoying part is that despite a lot of operators due to the way regional textures work I can probably only properly do DPRK, Indian and Russian. Post reunification Germany also operated some but honestly Luftwaffe MiG-29 is probably not the most important variant texture. Beyond that there is only the US using them as OPFOR and IDF leasing a few. Again not really that important.

I do however have a large number of incomplete models. It does include some MiG aircraft but I do not think the MiG-29 is among them. I probably want to prioritize that a bit over starting new models just to keep the number down.

Also here is a set of UGBITS for the current set of models. These just go into the SR root/graphics folder. Override UGBITS7.png and UGBITS8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Hi Nerei, is there a download link that contains all of your work combined? Can't seem to find what was the last "update" I downloaded from you...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Most of the models where added a few patches back. Beyond that there is only 2 files you need:

model set 3

model set 4

Set 4 is still a pre-release but so far I have not heard about any issues. Unless something changes I plan on making it a proper release in a few days.
Also I will probably merge those two packages into a single one at that time to keep things simple.

The 3 files I have attached above are the latest UGBITS files so if you use the 2D icons grab those also.

The 2 download links above lists all content in those files. Beyond that the picnums entries tend to list what they are. The exception is the older models
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Thanks for the quick response!

BattleGoat is the problem here because some of your work/models were never implemented in the game, like T-55 for example (and there are more). That is why I was wondering if you have a "single" (not literally) file with all your work and picnum entries one could download and use...

Does "SRU-art-project/graphics/meshes/" contain all of your work?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The problem with the new T-55A model (1782) I made was that it did not like the conversion BG did on it. Actually it crashed the game. The original however should be functional and as mesh 1782 is a binary .x file it should be the original file and calling it should not be an issue.

"SRU-art-project/graphics/meshes/" containes releases 1-3. 04 pre-release 01 contains the files for release 04. Releases 1 and 2 are already part of the core game.
The two releases I linked should contain all you need and everything not part of the game already.

I plan to restructure the github archive at some point so each release have its own subfolder and the proper releases will have everything rolled into one so it is basically everything in one simple download in the releases tab that gets you everything.

With regards to one source documenting everything here is a default.picnums that have all entries in range 1536-2049 and includes comments about what each entry represents.
Note that I have not checked if the comments already there are accurate and it is mostly just me copying text out of my offline spreadsheet.

It is a copy of the original default.picnums with everything from master 3 and pre-release 4 02 added so it should be serviceable as a replacement for the existing default.picnums.
Naturally if you have already edited that file you might not want to do this and as always make backups and all that.

I have a spreadsheet linked on the github repository but it is still not fully updated. I really should do that at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have decided that chances of there being any issues are probably minor so I am currently assembling Master 4.0. It should hopefully include everything not already available in the base game.

I will also bundle the default.picnums I attached above.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is a proper release for the content in 4.0 pre-release.

link

This includes everything from previous releases not already found in the core game. Basically for Ultimate and Great War everything in this thread is either found in this file or is already in the game
It also includes the UGBITS and picnums entries.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

I used both 1750 and 1782 T-55 models and they both work fine before...never had issue with either of them. Tried them now and still they both work... not sure what the issue ever was as I never experienced crashes due to T-55 model

Also, thanks for the summary of your models, it works great!
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Nerei wrote: Dec 21 2020 The picnums values he have used are already custom artwork so it is really up to you to pick what your prefer.
In general picnum < 1024 are BG models. The range 1536-2048 (roughly) is something I have made. Everything else is mod content.

Technically I can make variant textures to any model as all I (technically) need to do is give it the right name.
E.g. if I want to make a variant texture to model 9001 all I need to do is UNIT5000[region code].dds as regional/variant textures are defined by their name.

Picnummesh is just a value used in default.picnum to bind a picnum value to a mesh. Usually picnums and picnummesh are identical. It is also possible to define a custom string to replace the unit and picnummesh part of the name but in general there is no need to do so.

I do however only make them for models I am already making (e.g. the Chinooks and Apache are for models in the 1600 range so it is something I made a long time ago).
For a start I know those models and the plugin I use only allow me to export .x files so I have to experiment just to work out how the UV map works.

Also it might mirror elements I do not want mirrored (and I can only fix this by editing the model). BG does this to save time and space which is fine but it does have some limitations.
E.g. I could end up with something like this.

I can fix that but it requires getting the mesh in a readable format which is annoying and it requires I have the UV space which is not certain.
Also I will have to edit the default texture to support this new UV map.

It is possible to have multiple textures on a single model but it should be avoided if possible as it makes the model heavier for the game and ultimately regional/variant textures can only be single texture.

Basically I consider it to not be worth the trouble to not just make the base model also.

Names do not matter as models do not associate with these. The only thing we need to worry about when it comes to models is the picnum value.
As mentioned variant/regional textures are called by a name string so they are not issue either.

To quickly go over how default.unit relates to default.picnums and unit meshes in general.
Default.unit sets a picnum value for each design.
This value is read from default.picnums that sets the association between mesh and ID. Basically default.picnums takes a lot of information on how meshes work and ties it all to a single easy to call value.

Meshes themselves are defined by their name these are UNIT[picnummesh].x. Picnummesh is usually the same as picnum but not always. Multiple picnum values can call a single picnummesh value if you say want them at different scales or call a different texture.

Regional or variant textures if you will are likewise defined by their name. These are UNIT[picnummesh][region code].dds. The game automatically associates meshes and regional textures with the same picnummesh value. It is possible to define a custom string that a picnum values uses for regional textures but its usability is situational.

The default textures can have basically any name. What they are is by default defined by the mesh file. If it calls for Habakkuk.dds the game will check for the habakkuk.dds file when loading the model. If it fails to find it the model will be invisible. Like regional textures it is possible to define a custom default texture in default.picnums but I think I have used it like once so far.

Really just do what you prefer. The picnum value will need to change if you want to use the variant textures I make as they will need to call a new model entirely but that is only something you need to do if you prefer that model over what the design is currently using. The names are really up to you as they do not matter to the art side of things.
For names in general though the game would not suffer from a checkup. Fictive vehicles like the Katze feels like a joke. It does however fit well with say the tank destroyer "kuh" and self propelled howitzer "huhn". Yes I made those up it is not "that" bad.

___

Yes I can cover the rifle but in the case of say a Vietnam war M16 I need to basically cover the entire rifle for it to be able to pretend it is say an AK-47.

This PLAGF infantry will need a lot of cloth to pretend he is american.

That said there is a lot of cases where this is not an issue. I mean all things considered would people notice the difference between say a M1 Garand and a Mauser 98K. Yes some probably would but the majority probably not.

It probably will not take too much work to make this guy be basically anything. Well except maybe a jungle fightinger given the winter clothes.

Note I made these guys a long time ago but the low tris count I was working with back then made me stop as it was hard to get them the way I want. I plan reworking and in general just finishing them.
I also plan long term to make more infantry to get some variation from the purely metal hardware I have been making so far.

Also it is a question on how you view things and it might be possible to do something with worldmarketavailability. Trading infantry should probably not be as common as selling tanks. It can be said that buying the designs really is just modelling the infantry of one army on that of another. The US modelling its infantry on the soviet infantry with designs bought from the USSR while odd is ultimately not a problem.
Trading the units themselves however to me seems odd as the human element itself is a far more significant component than they are in say armoured units (not that tank crews are not relevant but they do not compare to humans in legged infantry units).
Thank you for the explanation Nerei, it's very useful.

I'm sorry that i couldn't answer before, cause of Christmas.

Well, i'll have to decide and think about all this then... my goal is to have as many models as possible in that mod i mentioned, as much variety as possible.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”