3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

sparky282
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by sparky282 »

that's quite a list of models you have added the f35 and herc will be great :D I look forward to testing
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Just started testing the new stuff out bit of an issue with

UNIT 1961 - Isuzu Type 73 heavy truck, model added, texture J73H_tx.dds, regional variants J

the model is great but there is a hole in the side door :lol:
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is an issue with the directx model exporter not liking parts of the mesh.
Unfortunately it does not actually tell me that. The only way I could get it to tell me anything was exporting as a format Maya wants to import and try to import it.

In any case it is not something a quick export as .obj does not solve (wavefront object format strips just about everything but UV coordinates from a mesh due to how primitive it is).

From what I can tell it should be fixed now.

I have added the new file to the repository but here is a direct dropbox link also
dropbox link
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

yep that's fixed it not found anything else wrong yet just more great models :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Some progress updates.
First off I am working on some German World war 2 aircraft. In this case a FW-190, Me P.1101 and some proper textures for the Me P.1101/99
The default versions will not feature the swastika finflash but they will be optional downloads. Also I have promised Cdiplayer to make some Turkish and Austro-Hungarian version of (mostly) world war 2 era German equipment which will also go up as optional downloads.

Also some AFV progress. The Centurion is not that far along but I am fairly happy with how the shading turned out.
The Centurion is technically a 1970's IDF Sho't but at the scale used in-game that should not be that great a problem.
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

Hello, Nerei! Could you update ugbits7/8? Missing some unit icons: kj200, leo 1a4, plan type 055, plan type 054A and others.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Yes time constraints when I released the last set of models meant I delayed the UGBITS. I will try and see if I can get them done. With a bit of luck it should not take too long.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The UGBITS have been updated.
No guarantees that I have not missed any. Also the models with incomplete grey textures have not been added.
link
guderian254
Corporal

Post by guderian254 »

how do I add your units to the game?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

First off remember to make backups of all files you edit and all that.
I am going to assume you are running windows. You might be able to adapt these steps to work with the mac version as it is a modified windows version running through wine but I have only done very limited experimentation with that.

Also please note that you cannot change graphics for individual units in games already started as unit designs are part of the save file.

You will have to edit the .unit files to add the models. The simplest way is with the asset manager so I recommend installing SR content editing tools if you have not already.

To start off you need to install the models in a directory the game will read.
The repository download is largely build like the game file structure so content found in /graphics goes into the SR root/graphics folder and graphics/meshes goes into SR root/graphics/meshes.
There will be some files overridden during this such as UGBITS7 and UGBITS8. These should all be older versions of files from this mod.

In the root of the download there is a file called "picnums.txt". These entries should be added to default.picnums found in SR root/graphics/meshes. Again some entries might already exist and should be updated.
Default.picnums is just a text file and with this basically just being copy/paste using a text editor as simple as notepad should be fine.

With that done you will have to tell the game what models to associate with what unit designs. This is something you have to decide for yourself.
Start the asset manager and load default.unit found SR root/maps/data.
Under display options enable picnums.
The picnums value is the first value in default.picnums and the first column in this document (link). Note that it is not entirely up-to-date.
Changing the default picnums value to one of these will update what model the game uses for a design.
E.g. if you want the PLAN type 091 "Han" SSN to use the model I made change its picnum ID from 19 to 1697.

Once you are done editing unit designs save the file and start the game. Select the scenario, sandbox or campaign where you want to update the unit graphics and select "scenario settings". Check the last option "force recache for modding" and start the scenario/sanbox/campaign.

The game will appear to hang while it updates. Depending on your CPU this might take some time. Once it is done it will start like normal and the unit designs should be updated.
Last I compiled it had a bug with displaying leader portraits after caching so I suggest exiting and starting normally.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Heinkel he-177 grief mostly done. The markings are mostly based on those of KG-100.
Again the swastika fin flash will be an optional download.
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

Nerei, you haveplans to do something modern for russian navy?
Example:
Project 11356Р/М Grigorovich-class frigate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_G ... ss_frigate
Project 22350 Gorshkov-class frigate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_G ... ss_frigate
Future Project 23560 Lider-class destroyer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lider-class_destroyer
Fictional Soviet Navy Project 1157 Cruiser https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/ru ... del/295465
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Currently my plans for modern Russian navy surface vessels is the Udaloy and Lider class destroyers, Project 23000E aircraft carrier and Steregushchy class corvette.

The Liaoning is probably also close enough that it can pretend to be a Kuznetsov class aircraft carrier and the Sovremmeny class destroyer Hangzhou can likewise probably pretend to be a Russian vessel.

One of the limitations for a lot of Russian and PRC vessels that I have to deal with is a lack of good orthographic projections. It naturally is possible to make them without that but it takes a lot longer so among all the things I plan to make I tend to prioritise those with better reference material.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

any plans for

Aermacchi M-345

or

C-27J Spartan models? watched a C-27 do a barrel roll and Fairford this weekend pretty impressive
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I cannot say that I have thought of either of them but I can add them to my list which admittedly is quite long

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”