3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

You mean something like this? No sorry I am pretty sure that is not possible :p

Tris count is 681. These are mainly generic camouflage patterns.

The only problem with this is really that the turret shape is not ideal for this change from the start and I did not really make the UV with plans for that either. It is not exactly perfect but I think it should work acceptably.

I will probably make room for reactive armour on vehicles like the T-62 and later from the start. The same with space for a TUSK upgrade to the M1 should I ever make one (I would prefer that one and the M60 to be green or in woodland camouflage).

Removing the markings is not a problem. It is literally just clicking a single icon as they are on a separate layer.
Really I add them as much because I can, it adds variation and it hardly takes any time to do.
But yes it is probably good to not have them on the units. It would be great though if the game supported specific texture maps for units depending on who the owner is.

I think I want to build some aircraft or ships pretty soon. Anything that feels particularly absent? Preferably cold war era (or modern) as I have recently built way too many WW II ships.

Also if there is anything else with those tanks please let me know.

Potential changes aside they are pretty much all ready for implementation. I am just waiting for Chris Latour to test if the format of the Takanami I sent works or not (again no rush I can send them anytime).
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Amazing work, thank you! :-)
Please teach AI everything!
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nerei wrote:I think I want to build some aircraft or ships pretty soon. Anything that feels particularly absent? Preferably cold war era (or modern) as I have recently built way too many WW II ships.
Take your pick...

Antonov An-124 (transport)
Antonov An-225 (transport)
Ilyushin Il-76 (transport) (this refers to Il-78 tanker too)
Beriev A-50 (patrol / awacs) - (Il-76/IL-78 mesh with the radar dish on top)
Myasishchev M-4/3M (bomber/tanker) *unit needs to be created as it is not existing in the current game
Myasishchev M-17/M55 (patrol / awacs)
Tupolev Tu-16
Tupolev Tu-126 (patrol / awacs)

Also if you feel like it, maybe you would be interested in creating cw/modern 3d soldier models or at least a different weapon so that all of them are not using AK-47...(for example: M-14, M-16, H&C G3, FN FAL, Famas, Tavor, SA80, etc.)

Once again, great job!

P.S. if you missed it in my previous post, you can go through this link to see if you find any of the suggestions interesting.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I would not call it great or anything like that. Maybe acceptable but not much more. I am fairly happy with the chassis but the reactive armour boxes on the turret bothers me a bit and I might just redo them.

I did look through that topic but apparently I missed your list of planes. I had already considered the Il 76 and Tu-16 (and conversions to the Xian Y-20 and H-6 respectively) but sure some of those planes look interesting.

Making infantry is actually something I have considered doing and I do have a half complete infantry model that could probably work for that purpose. I got a project coming up in February and part of March that will probably take a good portion of time away from this but with the infantry I just might be able to combine a bit of it with making those.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Was too busy last weekend :(

Still in my inbox though...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is not really that important when it gets done.
For me it mainly means that I will know if the conversion have worked or not but I am pretty sure it has. I can always convert the rest to .3DS format and save the textures as .png. That takes nearly no time.
For everyone else it will mean nothing until a patch hits at some point.

Really take your time.

I got a question though. Can I be a bit flexible with the texture map size? No I do not intend to just up the size of them.
I am building more JMSDF ships amongst other things and one of the things I am doing is ripping parts from the Takanami like guns, radar, CIWS, missile batteries etc. Basically a decent portion of say the Kongō guided missile destroyer (texture and model) is identical to the Takanami.

Making say a 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048 texture map and putting multiple units in it can effectively save quite a bit of space in the long run.

Likewise I can probably put several simple units like missiles into a single 512x512 texture map without compromising their appearance.

Warships though are the prime candidate for this (planes and tanks will not really save much) with recurring equipment and with a bit of creativity you can borrow say parts of existing superstructure for new ships. It might not be perfect but at the resolution and distance in this case none will likely notice.

As an example here is a model I made some time ago of the Imperial Navy’s Kongō class fast battleship.
(Please ignore the tris count of 8.7K. It is just and example)
The only part that is not reused from other vessels is the grey part of the main hull. Superstructure, weapons, funnel, deck etc are all taken from other ships.
It’s texture map is 4096x4096 and supports something along the lines of 30 vessels with a good portion still not used. I doubt a good portion of the ships made from it could work with a 1024x1024.

If I where to build say Japanese or US world war II ships I would probably end up basically repeating half the texture map each time by the 5th destroyer (I certainly did with those models).

It is okay if I such practise is not acceptable but I thought I would bring it up as my experience so far is that it can save both space and time creating some type of models.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

One question for Chris. When and if you include these new models into the game, will you give us the list with pic numbers of new models so we know what is what (for modding purposes)?
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:One question for Chris. When and if you include these new models into the game, will you give us the list with pic numbers of new models so we know what is what (for modding purposes)?
Yes. For initial testing, it will be a copy of another model. Eventually it will get its own position.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Got some planes more or less done
A Few could probably do with some contrast work etc. to enhance details but other than that I am fairly happy with them.
Thadwookie
Major

Post by Thadwookie »

oh :) i like this for modding.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balth, if you drop this ball... :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Well it is also down to me getting around to converting some files to .3ds format. I have actually borrowed an old laptop with 3DS Max on it which should make it certain the .3ds files I make will work.
It is just a matter of time and I am a bit limited there right now.
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

I passed by to see if this game has finally made it to a non-steam version (not, it seems), saw this thread and felt obliged to log in and say Kudos to Nerei! That`s an awesome thing you`re doing and I hope something will come of it. After so much time I really did not expect any new graphics to pop up, let alone something so professionally looking. Great initiative and excellent work!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I admit that I tend to prefer to not have my games on steam. It is not a deal breaker as such but if given the choice between say steam or GOG I would definitely take the GOG version. It is to the point that I have actually bought games there that I already owned on steam.
I am quite happy that GOG is rolling out their GID program as it means I might be able to get a few more games there and not sit and hope they will release in 3 years.
Unfortunately most games I play are steam exclusives.

I make these in part as having a definite goal to work towards tends to be good and having the restrictions imposed here is a good challenge. It also means I can actually finish off a model within a short timeframe instead of the month or more a good high detail model might take.
Also I strongly believe in modding makes games better. This really felt like the best way of doing that with the skills I have.

I have mailed the Second World War Aircraft and the different T-55's the Chris so now he should have some more things to play with.
The plane textures are not optimised to their 512x512 texture maps but it was either that or redoing the textures.

Not much additional to show right now. I got a few ships and 3-4 infantry that are nearing a presentable state.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

You are doing a great job! I only hope Chris will find some spare time to see if conversion will work so the models are usable in SRU...(fingers crossed that no problems will arise 8) )

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”