MP games 2PM EST Aug 24th

This forum has been archived. Please use the new multiplayer forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

MP games 2PM EST Aug 24th

Post by Balthagor »

Sorry for the late notice. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be doing a bit more MP testing.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Re: MP games 2PM EST Aug 24th

Post by way2co0l »

Oh nice. I might actually be able to join in this one. :)
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Thanks again for the quick game. :)

I wanted to say I was actually impressed with how the AI seemed to handle itself. Could always be better of course, but it took some work to break through. I really am only used to playing on slower speeds and controlling everything manually, so jumping right into the game and testing the higher speeds was an interesting change of pace for me. Wound up losing my navy and half my army to the Austrian fleet while I was busy tinkering with minister priorities. lol That part was unfortunate. But once I managed to organize my artillery and supporting army, managed to push straight through Tirol into Germany and even took out some of their reserve forces which I imagine were repairing from their time at the front. Made sure they never got to make it back. ;) Managed to join up with the other allies in south Germany before all was said and done. :D

It was actually my first time relying on ministers but I think they did a fairly good job keeping my finances going and new troops coming in. I was impressed with how efficiently my country seemed to be running on its own with the priorities I had set. Outside of the automated navy situation anyway. The automated airforce didn't really seem to be doing anything for me either. Using a hotspot helped in one case, but didn't seem to do anything in the others I tried. I'll need to take more manual control of them next time. I just wasn't used to the speed so had decided to focus only on the army for my push into Germany. :P But the ministers themselves seemed to have my finances in great shape. Minister priorities really do seem to help. Considering I just never use them, it's nice to find out they really do work. lol.

The Austrian navy sure packed a heck of a punch. I think it's because the automated Italian navy spread out early but I don't think the Austrian fleet deployed until my ships got close and forced them out. That meant that their ships were concentrated while mine were all over the place, and get systematically destroyed as a result. I'd absolutely love to see fleets group up like this more often though, even if they were mostly grouped so they could provide shore bombardment support to their troops. lol

I think shore bombardment is a little too strong right now. I've seen others talk about it, but when the Austrians moved to take Venice, there was simply nothing I could do about it because their fleet of battleships sitting off the coast made it impossible. My own navy was pretty much gone at that point, and if I dared to try to send a stack to retake the city, it would be dead within seconds. I do think shore bombardment should be relatively powerful, but I feel as if it's a little too much at this point in time.

The one thing I think the AI can do a better job at is artillery. Joe and Chris stalled out a couple times at parts of the western front because of concentrated German artillery positions. I'd love to see them make use of this more, and keep them alive when possible. To defend them, and know how to withdraw them when the position is lost rather than simple losing the artillery forever. If they kept withdrawing the artillery back to the next defensive area, it could have made each offensive more difficult. But otherwise, those positions are only tough until you take them out the first time, knowing you won't have to face them again. Live to fight another day. That's what their artillery positions need to learn. :P

Anyway. Thanks again for the game and maybe catch you guys for the next one. :D
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

way2co0l wrote:Thanks again for the quick game. :)

I wanted to say I was actually impressed with how the AI seemed to handle itself. Could always be better of course, but it took some work to break through. I really am only used to playing on slower speeds and controlling everything manually, so jumping right into the game and testing the higher speeds was an interesting change of pace for me.
It was actually my first time relying on ministers but I think they did a fairly good job keeping my finances going and new troops coming in. I was impressed with how efficiently my country seemed to be running on its own with the priorities I had set. Outside of the automated navy situation anyway. The automated airforce didn't really seem to be doing anything for me either. Using a hotspot helped in one case, but didn't seem to do anything in the others I tried.
unfortunately i missed that MP game - but i have to second that the (ground) AI works very good at high speeds (i use most of the time the max speed button)
in Singleplayer i use the Hotspot function most of the time - maybe just a little preparation (..mobilization..) and putting enough forces in the right regions - and you can chain up your conquest with hotspots if your troops wont get destroyed with easy
(worked with austria-hungary - was faster in moscow than the germans - but they had conquered france and put a nice buffer - then my non-autosave game (for speed you know) crashed to desktop)
For the navy - my new favorite tactic is - select all - scrap units :lol: never had much trouble with goods after that - should have done that at day 1.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)

Return to “SRGW Multiplayer Games”