Map Editor works !

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

evildari
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Map Editor works !

Post by evildari »

Just in case no one noticed yet:

try that commandline/link option "-mapedit" like here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Ruler Great War\SupremeRulerGreatWar.exe" -mapedit

fully functional mapeditor YAY

with some work like copying \scenario\Custom\mapeditor.scenario it works also with SRU
but i guess that maps edited within SRGW can run with SRU
with a custom mapeditor.scenario it is also possible to load your added facilities in the editor.

be aware that the mapeditor ALWAYS (no matter what you write in the .scenario file) safes to the files Mapeditor.mapx and Mapeditor.oof.

check that little island near greenland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Fistalis
General

Re: Map Editor works !

Post by Fistalis »

If there was any one thing that would make me want to start modding again you're looking at it. The options this would open up to modding are huge. Unfortunately no time to dip my toe in tonight... work.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

No map editor for SRU.
Gameplay 1st
Danieldarnell95
Warrant Officer

Post by Danieldarnell95 »

is this a legit thing cause i cant find anything in the forums about it besides here
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Map Editor works ! (for SRU too)

Post by evildari »

as long as you bought the game(s) it should be legit cause it is as of now, an integral part of the games executable.
ie. that is no 3rd party software.
if the lawyers of battlegoat disagree then they can delete my post with a nice placeholder like "censored"
but since this info is now known - they have another selling point IMO.

SRGW:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Ruler Great War\SupremeRulerGreatWar.exe" -mapedit
works right out of the box

SRU:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Ruler Ultimate\SupremeRulerUltimate.exe" -mapedit
as i already wrote you have to do some extra work:
1. create \scenario\custom folder if you dont have it
2. copy your favorite .scenario file (ie. my <shameless ad> DTMOD for SRU) and
3. make sure to change the mapfile settings to mapfile "MapEditor"
4. make sure to change the oof settings to #include "MapEditor.OOF", "MAPS\"

the file i provide lets you see how its done (it is my slightly edited sandbox scenario of my DTMOD for SRU - make sure to
copy the the mods .mapx and .oof files and name then to MapEditor.mapx and MapEditor.oof
then the games mapeditor will load even mod files !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I will not delete this post but won't be able to offer much help with it at this time. Respect to EVILDARI for ingenuity.

*Use at your own risk, make back ups if you don't want to have to uninstall/reinstall when something goes wrong...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Any idea if the SRU workaround would work with the older versions of the game like SR2020 and SRCW?
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Since i dont have them installed i can only guess.
Maybe you can try first to run both with that command line option - then you may be in the editor screen although without map loaded - if you get that far you could try the workaround to load the maps and oof.
my mods
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

EVILDARI wrote: Maybe you can try first to run both with that command line option - then you may be in the editor screen although without map loaded - if you get that far you could try the workaround to load the maps and oof.
No, the game just crashes. I suppose the editor was only implemented in SRU with one of the recent patches so unfortunately this is useless to me. Still, congratulations for figuring out there`s an editor and how to use it! It should rejuvenate SR modding.

A -nosteam command would be awesome btw!
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:I will not delete this post but won't be able to offer much help with it at this time. Respect to EVILDARI for ingenuity.

*Use at your own risk, make back ups if you don't want to have to uninstall/reinstall when something goes wrong...
Kind of figured this was the response. It has likely been accessible for many versions this way just no one actually discovered it.. and without patching the end users version to remove it which would be viewed very negatively... bg can't say much about someone discovering a tool that was already there. I'll be happy to poke around and see what issues it has when i get a day off. I assume it does have SOME issues considering It hasn't been publicly released. I had screen shotted the OP prior to anyone else posting just incase it was removed but not patched out.. no lie.. lol

As for back ups.. I already have like 4 or 5 install folders of SRU.. ill do something similar for SRGW lol
MK4 wrote: . Still, congratulations for figuring out there`s an editor and how to use it! It should rejuvenate SR modding.
[/quote]

No doubt.. i can quit bitching about rubber and try and do something with that resource slot..not to mention some of my more extreme mod ideas... (ancient world etc) actually could be implemented
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

in one of the tabs is a convenient "remove water" buttons - that removes all the "rubber" tiles in current maps - although i dislike rubber as replacement of water too - i doubt someone will place like what 2000 waterspots in the world and then maybe more since you have to click in 3 stages each adding 2 upgradeslots to the ressource hex

so no need to use an unused and maybe not really working resource slot

The mapeditor itself is quit usable here are my observations so far:
-right click on a tile copies it - left click inserts tile data
-map editing has to be enabled for most things by opening the keylock *and* (if using the terrain/ressource tab) removing the border of the entry (ie. infoset) you want to change
-no visible undo commands - maybe there hotkeys for several such operations
-the "load map/game" and "save as" doesnt seem to work
-Loading a map is done via loading editor - saving only with the save command - you dont get any feedback if its done - b4 exit tabswitch to mapfolder and lookup last saved time to be sure.
-my guess: red circles on the map means that there is an OOF entry that either is not found in the UNIT file or could not load graphics
-deleting a city - although editing infoset is closed, still changes infoset easy workaround just copy a nearby original field with infoset enabled
-the power ressource is used for hydro powerplants - so if you want a location to build a hydro plant - dont use it on rivers only (you cant build on rivers, even a dam with hydro plant)
my mods
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

EVILDARI wrote:in one of the tabs is a convenient "remove water" buttons - that removes all the "rubber" tiles in current maps - although i dislike rubber as replacement of water too - i doubt someone will place like what 2000 waterspots in the world and then maybe more since you have to click in 3 stages each adding 2 upgradeslots to the ressource hex
You'd be amazed at how much time and effort some people spend on modding. That being said I'm not necessarily speaking of re adding water in.. adding a new resource is now possible.. not being able to add resource hexes was the only thing stopping modders from successfully doing this previously.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Hot damn. This is awesome. Obviously not perfect as was pointed out that they hadn't planned for it to be found yet. lol. But the truth is, anything is better than nothing and I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with it. I think I saw that loading existing games isn't currently working so that's a shame, but still. I'm a very happy camper right now. :D
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Balthagor wrote:I will not delete this post but won't be able to offer much help with it at this time. Respect to EVILDARI for ingenuity.

thank you
i guess the Mapeditor was just not ready for release ?
IMO that editor is quit usable for modders
(just maybe a little question if you dont mind- is there an UNDO-hotkey?)
my mods
BuffaloSoldier
Sergeant

Post by BuffaloSoldier »

Can somebody pls explain to me how to use this magnificent thing?I dont understand the instructions above...

Return to “Modding SRGW”