The war fights - initially with Germany, because the latter declares war on France, is detailed below in this first posting, with particular attention to French losses. The reason is to give players a perspective on Unit vulnerabilities, problems with dealing with other units, the need to have certain Military fabrication facilities, and the overall direction of the German and French campaigns.
1. German focus: initial German attacks focused on the northeast of France, particularly the Nancy city area. Germany appears to concentrate all its mobile units in this area, without focusing on invading Belgium at the same time. This German declaration of war occurs on 1August1914.
France is also aware of German West African colonies, adjacent its own. Therefore, a French minimal effort is also aimed at defeating German Togoland, as the most threatening (being adjacent) of the German colonies.
* 10 July 14 - China declares war on Japan......observing the action as best possible, the AI fails to engage either in open warfare....China does not attack Korea, and Japan does not attack Manchuria, for example, over the coming year. The only exception is to attack Japanese-owned Port Arthur (old Russian name; using the new Chinese Pinyin name is wrong on the Map). [Bad dog, bad dog, AI....
* 26 Jul - Japan's Guangdongzhou (Port Arthur) falls to Chinese land forces.
* 28 Jul - Austria-Hungary declares war against Serbia.....which becomes an active war front by both sides.
* * 1 JULY 1914 - GERMANY declares war against FRANCE.
China declares war against Tibet.
German forces attack French fortifications and the immediate areas around city of Nancy. French mobilise forces, in Paris and other location north of Paris.
* 3 July - German declares war against Luxembourg. Luxembourg falls at end of 3 July.
French Equatorial Africa declares war against German Kamerun (Cameroon).
French losses: Naval - 7 x Patrol category craft are lost in the English Channel, largely due to surface attacks by German units.
Ground: 1 x Cavalry unit, adjacent Nancy.
* 4 July -
French losses: Naval - 1 x Cruiser (AUBE); 3 x Patrol category, in English channel
Ground: 1 x Cavalry (6th); 1 x Infantry (126th) - fighting mostly near city of Toul.
* 5 July -
French losses: Naval - 1 x Patrol (330th) craft
Ground: 2 x mel 105mm artillery (25th, 36th)
Production Underway: 2 x mle 1913 105mm gun; 1 x Infantry (Marseilles land factory)
Air - 2 x Caudron G.3 patrol biplanes
Naval - 1 x "Amaturer" class, 1 x "Bisson" class Escort (both partially completed at games beginning);
1 x Motor Torpedo Boat (MTB); 1 x Le Garonne AO (tanker); 1 x Cargo AE
* 7 July - Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria-Hungary declares war on Russia; German New Guinea declares war on British Solomon Islands
French Losses: 1 x mle 1909 Mtn How (27th); 2 c mle 1913 105mm guns (26th, 31st); 1 x Infantry (126th) - all on the Toul Front.
* 8 July - Montenagro declares war on Germany
French Losses: Ground: 1 x mle M1913 gun (27th) - near Toul.
* 9 July - French Losses: 2 x Infantry (136, 188th)) near Nancy; 1 x Garrison (256th) Charleville-Metz; 1 x Cavalry (14th) near Toul; 1 x Garrison (241st) at Nancy.
* 10 July - French Losses: 1 x Cavalry (9th), 1 x Garrison (241st) - both at Nancy
* 11 July - French Losses: 1 x 152mm M1910/37 artillery (17th) - near Nancy.
* 12 July - Great Britain declares war on Austria-Hungary - followed by all Commonwealth nations/colonies.
Completions: Military Complex at X 361 Y 164 - north of Belfort, nnortheast France;
Barracks: completed Barracks at Chambery, southeast France.
* 13 July - China declares war against Bhutan
* 15 July - Completed Barracks at Verdun. Units being mobilized to stop German incursions past Luxembourg.
* 16 July - Completed Land Production facility (No. 2) at Mantes-La-Jolie, outside Paris
A lull in fighting continues, as both side attempt to bring in reinforcements, with artillery exchanges and small attacks against Garrisons the most common German tactic.
* 18 July - Completed Barracks at Belfort, northeast France
* 19 July - French Losses: 1 x M.06 75mm artillery (15th), 1 x mle M.1913 (28th), 1 x Infantry (132nd) - all in northeast France.
* 21 July - Completed Land Production No.2 at Lyon, south-central France
Completed Barracks at Gagness-Sur-Meir, near Paris
* 22 July - Austria-Hungary declares war against Belgium
French Losses - 1 x Cavalry (21st) north of Charleville-Maziers
* 23 July - Japan declares war on China
* 25 July - Japan declares war on Austria-Hungary
French ground forces move into Belgium, including Bruxelles/Brussels, military complex and land production facility at X 845 Y 150 - to prevent German occupation.
French Losses: 1 x Infantry (143rd) east of Belfort, northeast France
Operations of French forces against German Togoland continued throughout July and into late-August, occupying one small village after another with little Garrison opposition.
In France, the fighting continued at a moderate pace in the regions of Nancy and Touls, where both sides are somewhat stalemated and unable to occupy either of the major areas in total.
French submarines and light escort forces have now deployed throughout the English Channel, and English naval forces continue to engage both German surface ships and submarines off the southeast coast and in the English Channel. This has also resulted in the loss of several French submarines, versus German subs.