Announcing Supreme Ruler The Great War

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

nick-bang
Colonel
Human: Yes
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Re: Announcing Supreme Ruler The Great War

Post by nick-bang »

Great to see some of the old icons of this Forum coming to life. :D

Chris & co: do tell if you need help with anything including playtesting, historical input and so on ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The issue of rail transport being important to the era is something on which we've already been making notes in design documents. No clear answer yet, but something we're looking into.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

If you also add an option to restrict units to rail tiles you can represent the armoured trains that where somewhat popular at the time. For later periods it would also allow the creation of RT-23 and peacekeeper ICBM launchers which would be an interesting alternative to just keeping the missiles in silos.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

What is the start date? Hope the game won't start later than 1910.
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The current intent is for a 1914 start, directly into the war.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:The current intent is for a 1914 start, directly into the war.
But that leaves player no time to prepare :-( Hope we start at january at least...
Please teach AI everything!
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Would it be possible to include a 1900 sandbox?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

SGTscuba wrote:
That would require a totally different map, new borders, additional leaders, orbats, etc. There won't be development time to do that. It would also require that many more events to get the years from 1900 to 1914 to stay mostly on track. And it adds more pre-1900 equipment, which is creating problems already at the 1914 start.
Zuikaku wrote:
But that leaves player no time to prepare :-( Hope we start at january at least...
Similar issue but not as big, the time required to stage all this is a challenge for our team with the time we've allocated. We're putting the data together as fast as we can. We'll review it once we've got the map up and running.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Balthagor wrote:
SGTscuba wrote:
That would require a totally different map, new borders, additional leaders, orbats, etc. There won't be development time to do that. It would also require that many more events to get the years from 1900 to 1914 to stay mostly on track. And it adds more pre-1900 equipment, which is creating problems already at the 1914 start.
Zuikaku wrote:
Similar issue but not as big, the time required to stage all this is a challenge for our team with the time we've allocated. We're putting the data together as fast as we can. We'll review it once we've got the map up and running.
Maybe a 1913 start so we have a year to prepare?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Hello!

I've been playing SRU more recently on Linux and/or via a virtualization solution. My life has become somewhat less chaotic and hectic lately so I might return in the near future more.

So a few questions:
1. Will there be Linux support? ;) ;)
2. Will you allow more than the 256 regions? Speaking as a retired modder, considering a return. :D 200+ regions was a limit previously at least and I remember it causing me alot of heartache as I wanted to fulfill some idea's that I had.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Hi Hullu!

So nice to hear from you!

Linux support will only be through emulators. 256 remains the limit. These types of changes would require a new engine.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

Zuikaku wrote:
Actually THAT is entirely historically accurate. The great armies were mustered across europe at the same time. And apart from the british which had a professional BUT SMALL army, then everybody had enlisted armies that needed to to be activated.

Hence a build up would be TOTALLY contrary to the actual historical facts of WW 1....

A good and easy intro to the history of WW 1 is the Youtube Channel "The Great War"
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Balthagor wrote:The issue of rail transport being important to the era is something on which we've already been making notes in design documents. No clear answer yet, but something we're looking into.
Not only to that era, what about units actually using rail network. Something actually worked better in a previous version then now in SRU.

Hope you keep your promises that this will benefit SRU and it is not a goodbye and moving on to just another quick mod. Im curious how you gonna handle units as the stats have to go to the point of going negative. Talking about suicidal gameplay.
Gameplay 1st
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

YoMomma wrote:...Something actually worked better in a previous version then now in SRU.
Not sure what you mean by this, I don't think rail function has changed since it was introduced.
YoMomma wrote:...Hope you keep your promises that this will benefit SRU...
Well it's already benefiting SRU as minor bug fixes will occur. I did not promise any specific benefits, I'm smart enough to know I can't predict the future.

SRGW is designed to be optional additional content for players who want that extra content. It will have it's own quirks and there certainly are some design challenges to overcome. We'll do our best to make it clear what the game can and cannot do.

FYI, this morning I was updating rail lines through north Africa :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Balthagor wrote:
YoMomma wrote:...Something actually worked better in a previous version then now in SRU.
Not sure what you mean by this, I don't think rail function has changed since it was introduced.
Rail network are non existent for units right now. They seem to prefer crossing a river, instead of using the rail. This was not the case in SR2020 where units stay more on the rail network, i think with a slight speed increase but not sure about that. Also when crossing a river with rail, units shouldnt move uber slow..
Gameplay 1st

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”