An issue about sending more units..

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

An issue about sending more units..

Post by mrgenie »

2 or 3 years ago I claimed that the AI needs a way to figure where on the front lines more units are needed to advance to counter incursions..

basically I said, at first don't send in all the troops if not needed to keep the speed of the AI maximum but if you see your advance is stuck, enemy pushing you back, you trigger units to move to there and give support.

I think BG did a lot in this area to make the AI smarter but I noticed something I think is not yet optimal in the code.

these rules the AI now seems to follow, actually work a bit contraproductive when it comes to high-supplied areas vs low-supplied areas.

In a test game I conquered all of Europe down to the mideast. Russia conquered all of Asia almost.

Now they declared war but my armies are vastly superior.

Should be a quick win!

it's not. Because east of Iran and from there going north-east there is no supplies so the advance is stuck there.
North of Moscow you get ever less supplies up to none and the advance is stuck there as well.

So a normal military commander would say:"nothing of importance there anyway, why sending units there? well not!"

But these suggestions I made to send ever more units to support front lines where you can't advance anymore, leads actually to the AI in supreme ruler to do exactly the opposite of what a military commander would do.

The AI withdraws units from Moscow, Rostov-na-dony.. instead of going through the center of the empire with railways, population, supplies.. all my armies are send to the northern circle and above where there are no supplies and
the other part is send through Iran to go straight through the desert with almost no supplies and then into the mountainous regions towards Mongolia where they all get stuck as well.

So I'd leave the above rules to send units where advances are halted, BUT, not as a primary..

the primary should always be to FIRST and foremost decide to send troops of more populous, industrial, supplied areas..

Also there should be some rule: don't send armor, infantry, etc. through regions where there is a gap in the supplies longer then 200-400km..

200-400km can be covered by supply trucks... but if the gap is longer, obviously supply trucks can't perform their task anymore as they get stuck themselves..

so there must be some smart coding added to the AI to handle the above issues.

Thank you..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: An issue about sending more units..

Post by YoMomma »

Also think BG did alot in this area. Same with mutual defence, but yeah thats other topic.

One thing i must say tho, it was cloose before last patch. North Korea was allied with Russia, and loyal ally like North Korea is, they send their whole army to Siberia, because Japanese ships were annoying. I dont have to tell you what happened next.. South Korea walked in destoring like 14 units, prolly garrison, to take out the North Korean goverment.

Just some feedback :D If one unit get stuck, they send another one because it didnt make the destination or Japanese navy capturing another sea hex. Well it was not because of just being annoying there were also 3 Japanese land units out of supply in Siberia, so yeah the Siberian war i guess.

Another thing i have to say about sending more units, is allies sending troops as suport, 9/10 times the port will be captured by the time the merchant marine train arive, if its alot then its not really a problem, cause it seems the 2nd or 3rd train will adjust their paths, but if its just a medium sized country then you soon have a problem. But yeah i understand that it is complicated.
Gameplay 1st
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Re: An issue about sending more units..

Post by mrgenie »

Yes, the improvements are significant!

But still a lot of work to do! :) AI isn't perfect, not by a long shot. Best out there on the market, but still a lot of work to do.

especially the getting stuck is now my most annoying issue I have..

And yes, indeed units to go to ports for nothing indeed also an issue.

Should be some "plausible that we can hold that area against an advanced enemy with current units at remote area?"

If yes, ok send reinforcements..
If not, other tactic, not reinforcements by land but also send capital ships, carriers with air support, etc.. and prepare for invasion instead of just reinforcements..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906

Return to “Issues and Support”