SRGW unit errors

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Zuikaku
General
Posts: 2168
Joined: Feb 10 2012
Human: Yes

SRGW unit errors

#1 Post by Zuikaku » Oct 25 2017

Please, feel free to report any errors or unit designations in this thread. I'll try to fix them as soon as possible.
Here you can report things like wrong unit names, wrong unit classes, strange unit statistics or specifications, wrong tech prereqs and so on...

Here are some known issues I know so far and I'm about to work on:
- german WW1 armoured cars classified as infantry
- too fast cavalry
- later Albatros aircrafts researchable even if early models are not researched
- unrealistic ranges of WW1 artillery resulting in overpowered artillery
Please teach AI to liberate and colonize instead of only annexing!

geminif4ucorsair
General
Posts: 1286
Joined: Jun 08 2005

Re: SRGW - Unit Change suggestions

#2 Post by geminif4ucorsair » Oct 29 2017

[quote="Zuikaku"]Please, feel free to report any errors or unit designations in this thread. I'll try to fix them as soon as possible. Here you can report things like wrong unit names, wrong unit classes, strange unit statistics or specifications, wrong tech pre-reqs' and so on...

Here are some known issues I know so far and I'm about to work on:
- German WW1 armoured cars classified as infantry

Actually, ALL countries armored cars at this period (U.S., etc.) are classed as Infantry.

They should all be moved to Cat 3 Recon.

- too fast cavalry

When SR-36 was designed, Cavalry was based on historical German and some other countries Movement rates, from manuals developed and released for calculating Movement (this also applies in SR-36 to supply vehicles, etc., etc.).
So, they may not be too far off.

Horses, however do tire and require feeding - something not calculated in Supreme Ruler.

Therefore, a better rule might be to place a Movement "hold" on Cat 3 Cavalry, whereby they can move at the current rate for 2-days, and then must have a "Hold" day on the 3-day.

Or, of course, just cut the movement rate by 25%, or thereabouts.


- unrealistic ranges of WW1 artillery resulting in overpowered artillery[/quote]

Absolutely true. None of the pre-WW One thru 1930 artillery had any ability to shoot 16-km - or in this case, engage units in another 16-km sized hex.

My short-term solution would be:

1] Limit all 120-mm and guns to engage only units that enter their Hex;

2] Limit all 152-mm to 203-mm howitzers to engage only units in the same hex, IF they were pre-1917 artillery.

While #2 guns sizes had greater impact on attacking forces, they also had LIMITED mobility to re-deploy, and thus were not able to shift fires and be mobile even with in a 16-km sized Hex. Partly, because few trucks existed prior to 1930 that could hitch-and-tow them on short notice. Horse-drawn teams were far more common.

Secondly, even these 152-to 203-mm howitzer and guns had a range greater than 10-km, prior to their modernization that began about 1930, with pneumatic tires, improved carriages, etc.
------

Will post-up ranges example for a dozen or so typical artillery, pre-1930, in follow-on post.

User avatar
Zuikaku
General
Posts: 2168
Joined: Feb 10 2012
Human: Yes

Re: SRGW - Unit Change suggestions

#3 Post by Zuikaku » Oct 29 2017

geminif4ucorsair wrote:
Actually, ALL countries armored cars at this period (U.S., etc.) are classed as Infantry.

They should all be moved to Cat 3 Recon.
I'll do this.

geminif4ucorsair wrote:
When SR-36 was designed, Cavalry was based on historical German and some other countries Movement rates, from manuals developed and released for calculating Movement (this also applies in SR-36 to supply vehicles, etc., etc.).
So, they may not be too far off.

Horses, however do tire and require feeding - something not calculated in Supreme Ruler.

Therefore, a better rule might be to place a Movement "hold" on Cat 3 Cavalry, whereby they can move at the current rate for 2-days, and then must have a "Hold" day on the 3-day.

Or, of course, just cut the movement rate by 25%, or thereabouts.
I really don't know anything about horses and their movement rates. I'll probably cut their movement speeds as you suggested.

geminif4ucorsair wrote:

Absolutely true. None of the pre-WW One thru 1930 artillery had any ability to shoot 16-km - or in this case, engage units in another 16-km sized hex.

My short-term solution would be:

1] Limit all 120-mm and guns to engage only units that enter their Hex;

2] Limit all 152-mm to 203-mm howitzers to engage only units in the same hex, IF they were pre-1917 artillery.

While #2 guns sizes had greater impact on attacking forces, they also had LIMITED mobility to re-deploy, and thus were not able to shift fires and be mobile even with in a 16-km sized Hex. Partly, because few trucks existed prior to 1930 that could hitch-and-tow them on short notice. Horse-drawn teams were far more common.

Secondly, even these 152-to 203-mm howitzer and guns had a range greater than 10-km, prior to their modernization that began about 1930, with pneumatic tires, improved carriages, etc.
------

Will post-up ranges example for a dozen or so typical artillery, pre-1930, in follow-on post.
I intend to fix all artillery ranges to their historical values.
Please teach AI to liberate and colonize instead of only annexing!

Post Reply

Return to “Issues and Support”