SRGW - Turkey - cannot build Militia in Istanbul

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

geminif4ucorsair
General

SRGW - Turkey - cannot build Militia in Istanbul

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Turkey cannot build Militia units in Istanbul, which is probably the result that the "international waterway" Straits line delineation crosses over the city of Istanbul (on the western side of the narrow Strait).

Thanks for looking into. :-)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: SRGW - Turkey - cannot build Militia in Istanbul

Post by Balthagor »

There is no solution to that, parents can force colonies to place garrisons and the colony might not have the personnel. Players will have to manually put leg infantry there entrenched to guard it.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Balthagor wrote:There is no solution to that, parents can force colonies to place garrisons and the colony might not have the personnel. Players will have to manually put leg infantry there entrenched to guard it.
I don't suppose I should question this, but when did the "western" side of the Strait - in Turkey - become a "Colony"?
Last edited by geminif4ucorsair on Aug 18 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Wasn't it like this for SRCW?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

f4u - did you perhaps mean the "western" side?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
geminif4ucorsair
General

Balthagor wrote:Wasn't it like this for SRCW?
It probably was [but don't have SRCW installed on this computer].

The Turkish army's 1st Army Corps was based largely at Constantinople (three divisions) and at Andrianople (two divisions), on both sides of the Strait. Both sides of the Strait need to be in Turkish national territory.

Maybe changing the map graphics is necessary.

Source maps:

* * http://collections.lib.uwm.edu/cdm/ref/ ... dm/id/1423 [sent private mail also]

* * https://www.vox.com/a/world-war-i-maps

Bosphorus Strait map:

* https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... j3y4xiZzyU
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The colony needs at least one city or it surrenders.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

GIJoe597 wrote:f4u - did you perhaps mean the "western" side?
oops, yes!
geminif4ucorsair
General

Balthagor wrote:The colony needs at least one city or it surrenders.
I still come back to the unanswered question of why the "western" side is a "colony"......?

There are a myriad of questions I would ask, of course, the implications for Angora (Ankara) if they march in, etc. - and that the normal SR time to convert a colony to national territory is excessive, in a case like this. Or, so it would seem.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Should there even be a colony at all? The Ottoman empire had quite a few fortifications along the coast of the Dardanelles and unrestricted passage was only in effect from the Lausanne peace treaty of 1923 to the Montreux convention of 1936. I cannot imagine say Royal Navy battleships passing through the Dardanelles would go unchallenged even during peacetime.

The entire goal of the Gallipoli campaign was to break through the Dardanelles fortifications and reaching Istanbul so it seems strange for it to belong to anyone but the Ottoman Empire.

I would probably say it is worth considering if there should even be a colony in 36, 49, 2017 and 2020 either as Turkey has some control over who is allowed passage and the Montreux convention is definitely not a free passage for all nations warships. It only offers (almost) free passage for Black sea nations. While still not entirely accurate sea transit with select black sea powers seems more appropriate.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: SRGW - Turkey - War Declared against Istanbul 'colony'

At present, doing another SRGW country test for a few months into 1914, to see how it plays and see what problems crop up, if any.

Date: Aug. 1914 - three days after the world goes crazy, with war declaration everywhere.

War is declared by Angora (Ankara), with one Infantry Bn. adjacent the border (Constantinople); declared war, and marched to Istanbul and took over the 'colony'.

Impact: Immediately, the Montreux Convention went into the history books!

Turkey now has COMPLETE control of the Bosphorus and Dardanelles, which means no other countries merchant ships or warships can pass through, without a Full Transit treaty with Turkey.

So much for history!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Are you saying that the Ottoman Empire is DoW on the Turkish Straits? It's own colony?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Balthagor wrote:Are you saying that the Ottoman Empire is DoW on the Turkish Straits? It's own colony?
YES.

Seems to have worked and Turkey now has exclusive control of both ends of the Turkish Strait's.

No other power can transit unless they have a Full Transit treaty with Ottoman Empire (Turkey), or so it would
appear from viewing the map changes.

Probably not what you intended. :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I ran a test the other day and didn't see war between the regions. Strange. I'll watch for this.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: SRGW - Turkish Strait working as it should

Balthagor wrote:I ran a test the other day and didn't see war between the regions. Strange. I'll watch for this.
I don't know if a "test" run would reveal this outcome - but given that I was playing Ottoman Empire, and most of the rest of the world was busy with their own wars that began the week before, figured it a good time to try the maneuver with little likelihood of anyone DoW on Turkey for doing this.

As far as I am concerned, it worked and any Angora (Ankara) government would have done the same! :D
Last edited by geminif4ucorsair on Aug 24 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Issues and Support”