AI never replaces obsolete units?

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Undecided
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

AI never replaces obsolete units?

Post by Undecided »

I'm seeing WW1-era armored cars and bi-planes being the mainstay of armies of superpowers all the way to 1960 and later. I could be wrong, but it looks like the AI has no mechanism for scrapping and replacing obsolete units... the only superpowers that have relatively up-to-date equipment are those that are in constant war, so have old units removed via battlefield attrition.

This issue in turn greatly disturbs game balance, by making peaceful nations disproportionately weaker than warring nations, and contributing to "snowballing" where empires grow exponentially since the technology gap (of active/reserve units) between warmongers and passive nations grows larger over time.

Perhaps the AI should have some mechanism whereby the automatically scrap and replace units that are XX years past the year of their design?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: AI never replaces obsolete units?

Post by YoMomma »

No never. There are certain regions which ai use as dumps for old land units, but ai doesnt trade in the same quantity for air and naval units. About your solution i dont think it will help anything. Problem is lack of unit designs. Where irl regions buy what they need for the coming years, this doesnt happen that much in game, especially for air and naval units.

One example is Algeria. Biggest army in northern Africa with over 1M soldiers. Every year it buys tons of stuff from Russia and specific ships from Germany, Italy or Netherlands. Thats gonna be hard to model. So yea i also dont have a solution besides AI need to understand it needs a minimum of stuff of tanks, infantry, etc. Only after that you can think about scrapping units i think.
Gameplay 1st
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

YoMomma wrote:No never...
That is incorrect. There is a minister priority that will cause an AI to reserve and scrap old units and queue up newer ones but if a region is having difficulties building the new stuff, the AI may be slow to cycle older units. The mechanic could certainly be improved though.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

This brings to mind a question BG. When you scrap a facility, you get a portion of the resources back. Do you get any back when you scrap military units?

Scenario - I am short of Military Goods, none to be had on world market. I want to build some new modern (1944) tanks. I have 200 old Infantry units I can scrap. Will that add any Military Goods to my inventory?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Balthagor wrote:The mechanic could certainly be improved though.
Indeed your game could be improved, so South Africa and Israel has tanks and Japan has Infantry and Netherlands isnt buying WW2 units till they spend 70% of their budget on old WW2 stuff.

That must be understatement of 2017.
Gameplay 1st

Return to “Issues and Support”