OOB and leaders.

Have a feature request for SRGW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

OOB and leaders.

Post by way2co0l »

This one is very much a wishlist item with zero expectation of it being in the main game. That being said, maybe a future DLC at some point? This is something I could definitely see being a minor DLC pack where it is completely optional to each player whether or not they want to support further development by buying it, and still not really denying anyone that doesn't choose to buy it from still being able to enjoy their game the way it was meant to be.

Fundamentally, I think the basic system is already in place and would just need to be refined somewhat to make it a useful addition to the game. Battlegroups. This feature already exists and is what would need to be expanded on. The biggest thing to work on would be creating a visual graphic that shows these units being visually connected. Perhaps a toggle mapmode where when activated, gives a feint highlight over units that are part of battlegroups with a transparent name hovering over them making it visually easier to recognize where specific battlegroups are on the front at a glance. Being able to click on that transparent name tag in order to find a new screen where you can assign leaders or specific group orders.

There are several obvious issues, beyond just the issues with the work required to make it happen. Personally, I'd be in more favor of very minuscule combat effects, or even no real combat effects at all. I know that won't make everyone happy, they want their badass general to have all the traits that makes them an incredible winter commander for example. But really, even the most foolish commanders in history were able to blunder their way into victory while the best of them often had everything go against them sometimes. Having combat effects would be nice, but I don't foresee any simple way to get the AI to use them with any effectiveness. At least, not without a heck of a lot of work to do so.

But I personally feel just having the visual representation of combat units working in concert, units being more meaningful than just some random infantry unit to replace another, instead watching your 8th army replace your second on the field which has been battered over the last 2 weeks holding back the enemy offensive would just enhance the experience for many of us. Being able to use it for AARs, guiding our favorite leaders through specific military campaigns to demonstrate their greatness, or mocking the buffoons that somehow manage to bungle it all up while we're not looking. That part alone is enough for me to consider it a desirable feature at some point, and I'm hopeful it's one you'll consider and that others will weigh in on as well.
SGTscuba
General

Re: OOB and leaders.

Post by SGTscuba »

Whilst I do like this idea. I'm going to say it could be useful for giving objectives and what not bad then the Ai carries it out. It would be an improvement on the hotspots feature in 2020 which the Ai would just use all of your forces. You could for example assign battlegroups to the grand fleet with the objective of protecting an area and would send cruiser out to scout for example and then bring the main units of the fleet out together if something is spotted.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040

Return to “Suggestions - SRGW”