Belize - When you've had enough

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Leafgreen
Colonel

Re: Belize - When you've had enough

Post by Leafgreen »

Original plan was to take ground up to that line and start building fortifications, air fields, positioning units. Mexico should have had 2/5 of population left.

Well, THAT didn't go as planned.

Declared war on Mexico and they ran hordes of artillery and Leopard 2a3 at me. They were attacked by my 9k62 and ships, hit my lines of Crows, decided to retreat, got hit again by arty and ships, then F-35s finished them off. After a couple of waves of this I moved in and met very little resistance.

I moved into the Mexico City area carefully, large population centers can be dangerous as there isn't really any good place to stop and regain supplies without being under constant fire - but as soon as I took the area Mexico gave up! They had lots of land and population left and the plan was to push further north and capture a line, build AA and fortifications along it, move 2 lines of crows to it and start producing artillery only so I could get some full rows of that and AA behind the crows. Then finish Mexico off and declare war on the U.S. So I'd have a buffer zone while I prepared. Nope.

So the usual after war stuff now and hope I get a few months. Connect EVERY city to a road, rails to every industrial complex, roads in large empty areas for units to travel on, scrap all conquered unit production buildings, air fields, sea piers, barracks, hydroponics, composite ore factories. Scrapping helps with industrial goods to build the new infrastructure going up, and I like to only have sea piers/air fields on tiles where I keep a stack of ground units. Basically strongpoints. I do make an air base/sea port/barracks in a safe location for repairs, and groups of air fields behind the front line for fighters to base from. After a war, the groups of air fields get removed and the fighters go to a new staging area.

I find it easier with only one production area and reserve storage. But you still need repair areas on each continent. Screenshots when I get home, rest of the day is just boring building and shipping troops from south africa to mexico.

U.S. should come at me down the nice highways and run into my fortified strongholds, where I will slaughter their planes and rows of artillery will create killing fields. There will be more stacks of Crows all along that line but the units there now are in the strongpoints with Fortifications and Laser AA. Maybe even supply buildings before all is done. I have boomer subs with 100 ballistic nuckes (1500km range) and 100 cruise missile nukes (can be shot down IF any planes/AA in the area but SOOOO cheap to make) off the east coast, west coast and gulf of mexico. Basic roads are still under construction... but i'll move 24 F-35 into each of those air field points and 1k Crow onto the front line/reserve staging area.

I can't use the Panama canal, so the west coast of Mexico vs American ships is anyone's guess. Hopefully with enough arty and F-35 support I can take them out. F-35 and 9k62 can both use the Saccade anti-ship missiles I made thousands of but the range is only 150km. We'll see if the U.S. gives me enough time, it's a 2 month trip from South Africa to Mexico by ship for my land units to arrive.

If nothing else I can use SLBMs against every barracks, sea port, air base the US has and they can't defend against it. Then follow up with nuclear cruise missiles if needed. But every nuke used it almost as bad as a declaration of war, Kim Jong Il will point at me and laugh at what a pariah I am after THAT strike. But hey, no barracks = nowhere to repair and all units in it destroyed too. We'll see.
"That's O'neill, with two l's"
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

September 27, the supply and movement highways, front line air fields, fortifications and defenses along expected lines of attack are all placed.

October 1, America declares war on me. I am massively caught out of position and mostly unprepared. Most of my combat units tasked for the U.S. conflict are still in southern Africa and it is a 45-60 day sail to reposition them. Plus none of my defences, air fields, even roads have come close to finishing building. I was scrapping everything north of the defense line but not sure all of it is scrapped yet.

Luckily the AI is slow to respond after declaring war... I have time to get what Crows I have in south/central America onto the defensive line, but there are holes. Large holes. And I have a pitiful amount of artillery support/AA defense. With increased DEFCON and military cost I stop any repeated construction of units and cancel all carriers/boomer subs/sats in production. Not quite enough but close enough that I can get by for a while.

They finally find and push through a hole in my defenses, but there is no serious attack. Mostly they are just doing light recon and shying away from full combat. M1a4, Bradleys, Apaches. No sign of any fighters or ships. I have no reserves to patch the holes or there would not BE holes, so I must use what F-35s I have to stop and push back the U.S. force, then strip away Crows from other defensive stacks to fill it in.

Combat seems to have settled down and I am holding the line. 90 kills, no losses, 0 control over my Arty/AA because they are constantly firing, wave of Crow reinforcements are 20 days away and arty/aa 30 days away. Then I notice a message that I have lost a unit. Odd. So I look at the area and see a stack of M6k2 heavily damaged and some U.S. MLRS deep inside New Mexico firing at them. I did not build MLRS because while the range is awesome, their combat time is horrible. Yet I am being outranged by them and I have nowhere near the forces I need to push inward to clear that base, and there is an air force base next to it full of F-22 Raptors. I am pretty sure that taking any of THEIR land will result in units being stripped from defending the east coast, Canadian border, etc and sent at me which I will not be able to handle.

Well now. I guess there is only one option. =)
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

*onboard the BS Bingo, a Belizean Ship Ohio class ballistic missile submarine somewhere in the gulf of mexico*

ACTION STATIONS ACTION STATIONS ACTION STATIONS THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Captain Pike - "Lieutenant Lopez, the message if you please"
Lt Lopez - "Sir.. I have an authenticated nuclear launch order from Mayor Command to fire on targets inside the U.S.A."
Cpt Pike - "That's nice Lieutenant. Maybe *I* could have the orders perhaps?"
Lt Lopez - "err.. sorry SIR! Here you go SIR!"

*Captain Pike shakes his head, the massive influx of non-Belizeans into all the armed forces sometimes causes interesting command opportunities*

Captain Pike - "Very well, I have an authenticated nuclear launch order. We are to fire 1 SERB SLBM at Fort Bliss inside the U.S.A., with BS BANGO firing 1 SERB SLBM at Holloman AFB and BS Bongo ready to strike either target as a follow-up."

*Captain Pike really wishes that Mayor Leaf had not played so much Fallout*

Captain Pike - "Adjust Astro-Inertial Guidance for the selected target and spin up Missiles One and Two, sound the general alarm. Chief of the Watch, man battle stations missile for strategic launch. Chief of the Boat - bring us up to a depth of 130 feet and prepare to hover, rudder amidships. The release of nuclear weapons has been authorized. This is not a drill, all stations make ready reports. And find the damned XO!"

*Multiple* Aye aye sir!

*SIR! The XO was aft looking for his stateroom door. Apparently he was told it was in the engine room and he needed both a left handed monkey wrench and a tube of vacuum grease to re-attach it SIR!"

Captain Pike - "... Chief of the Boat, you are the new XO since the previous one is a frakking idiot in a time of war."

COB - "Sir! We are hovering at 130 feet, missiles one and two are spun up with the desired AIG coordinates and we are ready to launch."

Captain Pike - "Fire. And may god have mercy on those yankee cowboy's horses."

For those who are curious... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVIuDGrhkEY
(Holds up 3 fingers)
JollyGoodBork
Captain
Human: Yes

Post by JollyGoodBork »

I'm massively enjoying this AAR so far! It's intense, and you describe everything very well, (both with info, roleplay and pictures). You put effort into writing this and it shows! Jolly good may i say.

The only thing bugging me is the AI. You know, declaring war without having it's forces in place, not using larger amount of units but rather go around and tease you.

And not even touching navy or air force. Save for some helicopters.
The AI really puts this very detailed and thought out game down. It's annoying.
The real US would be smashing through your defences, bombard your forces, invade your undefended coast and your capital as well.

Keep up the good work. I'll enjoy watching Belize crushing the US.
Which is a pretty strange sentence I must say.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Using nukes is a slippery slope if you have a lot of them.

My relief force of Crows has landed in mexico and moving to the front line, the force of 150 Mk62 and Thaad-Erint are 2 weeks behind them. My Nanchung amphibious transport is has finished picking up all the units I liberated from Mexico that were stranded on the eastern oil derricks and is heading to Puerto Rico. Can't have a U.S. island base along my travel path from south Africa to south America.

At first it was 2 ballistic missiles against that MLRS position and the air base defending it. Then I saw 2 Gerald Ford CVN + 3 Kansas battleships (not sure if the old or new nuclear versions) forming off the coast of Mississippi and that needed to be stopped before they caused trouble. So that was another ballistic nuke at them and one at the sea port. Since I don't go with full recon sat coverage to keep the game sped up, I have spotty coverage of the enemy that comes and goes - but once I started looking hard at the east coast I saw more carriers and battleships running around.

Well heck, can't have that!

ImageImage

Every Sea Port in the Gulf of Mexico and east coast was hit by a ballistic nuke (my west coast sub force got lost somehow). But while I'm at it... let's hit every air base in range. And Land Production. Heck, I just started looking for every Military Complex and hit them all. That leaves a lot of Barracks and Air Fields in cities, but not much else. Strangely enough nobody hates me any worse than before I started throwing nukes around. Maybe only strategic nukes affect that?

I sent my Nanchung amphibious ship to Puerto Rico with no support, all it had to do was unload in their city. 1 Pave Low chopper in the tile next to the city killed it before it could unload... that is very very sad because I know a Merchant Marine unit that you don't have to build or pay for would have easily survived one puny chopper long enough to unload. 11 units lost.

I saw a steady stream of U.S. ships heading south to use the Panama Canal to get to the west coast but my carrier groups weren't close enough to do anything about it. Apparently units like to stay close to buildings that can repair them, I did not know that. Soo.... I took my group of Arty that had luckily just landed the week before and moved them to the west coast of Mexico. One by one all the U.S. ships went through the canal and then back north just outside my territorial waters. And one by one every U.S. ship died horribly and instantly.

Declared war on Panama, sent some subs through to the U.S. west coast, did some more nuking. The last of their ships went to the Sea Port in Hawaii and as soon as they got there I nuked that port. Any air bases, sea ports, production, barracks, any military complexes within 1500 km of the coast are gone. No more enemy navy I bet.

That would be an interesting addition to the game. Unnamed oil interests that will give you 25% more home produced oil for 180 days, or unnamed business interests that will give you x amount of money for 180 days in return for declaring war on country xyz.

Beginning American stats: 4.14m staff, 34 land/27 air/10 naval/25 missile build capacity. Currently: 3.71m staff, 3 land build capacity. 1040 units lost, 451k military staff killed. At this point I could actually toy with them if I wanted to by sending a heavy bomber in to find where the AA units are, hitting those AA units with a ballistic nuke, and then sending in hundreds of nuclear cruise missiles to obliterate every city. The Gyser nuclear cruise missiles are oh-so-cheap-and-fast to make, but anything with good AA can kill them. But if there is no AA left.... can lay waste to everything on the map. I would like to have a country left to conquer though.

(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

While moving artillery into stacks and positioning them I discovered a strange thing. I actually have too much artillery. I know, right? That's impossible! That's like too much bacon or too many vacation days! But getting them into 6 unit stacks, turning off opportunity fire, moving them into position, turning opportunity fire back on + forming ship groups + forming/moving Crow stacks onto The Line + looking for overlooked military buildings to scrap in old Mexico + dealing with stuff back in Africa, looking back at the Arty to make sure I didn't send 2 stacks to the same hex, +++... too much. After 25 stacks of Arty and 8 stacks of AA being moved to The Line I just left the rest in a bunch in the rear next to 150 Crows waiting to attack when I give the word.

And artillery in this game are either very smart or very sick-minded individuals. Tell them to stop shooting unless there is an immediate threat and move THERE (like you have told them 15 times already to do) and they love to ignore you. I can picture the infantry with the Crows... "downtime? Time to clean the weapon again! Maintenance! Dig another alternate foxhole!". The artillery guys? Oh no, it's more like "Hey Sergeant, we haven't shot at anything for 10 minutes, getting bored and I definitely don't want to do any maintenance and cleaning. OMG A DEER 62 KLICKS AWAY, IT'S COMING RIGHT AT US AND IT HAS A KNIFE! LOAD SMART 155 AND FIRE FOR EFFECT!" *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* "RELOAD WITH CLUSTER AND FIRE FOR EFFECT! HURRY!!" *boom *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* "Private.. pack it up, the Mayor himself has ordered us to move 13 klicks SSE of here." "Sure Sergeant, love to. Just let me put down my bee OMG SQUIRREL 32.2 KLICKS 186 DEGREES LOAD HEAT AND FIRE FOR EFFECT!"

*boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom*

Yeah, those bloodthirsty artillery units don't fool me. =)

I also found out that the U.S. is waging a very successful offensive against me using about 50 tanks/some navy/choppers/air units with a hundred more tanks on the way that I can see. They are making slow progress taking over the Baja Peninsula due to zero supply there but it is keeping them busy and happy. I only noticed this when moving a bunch of arty inside mexico to the western coast so they could probably fire on the peninsula and noticed an American transport flying around re-supplying. Meanwhile the tanks still probing my main defensive line are not going off to repair when badly damaged which is odd. I'm guessing that units love to hang around and defend a sea port/air base/barracks, and will go off to seek combat if that is destroyed... but I would think that any damaged unit would go off to repair itself even if the repair building is far away. And I left dozens of Barracks alive that were in city hexes.

(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

For all you Navy pukes, I was sent this today. Idiot Army me, I laughed and took it as real. Then I thought about doing a snopes on it and thought I'd share.

While I am sure it must have happened sometime since humans have been making boats and lighthouses, that story just ain't true. Apparently before that it was the USS Enterprise and a Canadian lighthouse. Before then the 'tale' appeared in comedy books as far back as 1939.

The fog was very thick, and the Chief Officer of the tramp steamer was peering over the side of the bridge. Suddenly, to his intense surprise, he saw a man leaning over a rail, only a few yards away.

"You confounded fool!" he roared. "Where the devil do you think your ship's going? Don't you know I've got the right of way?"

Out of the gloom came a sardonic voice:

"This ain't no blinkin' ship, guv'nor. This 'ere's a light'ouse

I'm sure some devilish swabbie from hundreds of years ago is in his grave laughing it up for inventing THIS one. My money is on some rich civvie in a yacht who thinks a chart is a cute painting.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

Sure it's only a joke but it's a real fun one at that.
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Things stabilized a bit along The Line, and my fighters kept hitting the US moving down the Baja peninsula. Wanting to shake things up a bit I sent a few units into US land to take a city.

Boy did they get mad!

I think that drew all the remaining ground forces to counter-attack and they hit pretty hard. But once again my artillery pounded them and they refused to go repair. Meanwhile they tried an endrun around my line on the eastern side and actually succeeded, killed 2 ships and snuck in 30 units before I sent my reserves over there to squash them. I decided to send my 2nd stack of ships to the west coast and help with the Baja problem - but they were stopped at the canal and took a few losses from a suddenly very determined Panama. The French arrived to help both of us with a handful of old Leclerc tanks, and Canada sent some Light Infantry and very outdated tanks. Maybe they don't send front line units to assist people?

Well.. have to take care of Panama, I need passage through the canal and they don't want to share. Oh submarines? Fire a few missiles please... FCS-W and M1a3 sitting in storage in south Africa? You're recalled. Made a new defense line there just east of the canal. Military Fortress, Laser AA, 4 Gun Emplacements in each. 2 spots on the canal itself with the same, hopefully that's enough to kill any pesky merchant marines that try to go through. Eventually I'll take all the countries between the canal and the U.S., so this 3 tile line will have to hold off all of south america if needed.

I did some more recons in force to draw out enemy forces but I think they're finished. Note the military forces bar for the US, just some fighters and the odd ground unit in the north I bet. They are even losing the Baja peninsula due to lack of supply now that they have no units there. I suffered some losses due to stupidity and bad AI and/or glitches. 2 ships and half a stack of artillery from the end run the U.S. did (my fault), 2 ships trying to go through the Panama canal (my fault), 2 of 24 fighters while throwing them at the full strength forces taking the Baja peninsula (my fault), 18 of 24 fighters just went poof somehow - they can fly from current operating bases in the far NW of mexico straight to the repair air base in the far SE of Belize with no trouble, and air fields scattered around - about a dozen Crow lost from either them not listening to orders or me being forced to give them bad orders. I had to set my 200 Crow reserve/striking force on direct route but even then they did not usually listen. Send them 3 tiles NW of The Line, and they still love to move 1 tile south, 2 tiles west, 3 tiles north to get there. That means the forces between A and B were not engaged, and the stacks on The Line are forced to scatter because there are too many units on a tile. But I can afford some small losses so not a large problem. Just irritating and another thing I have to watch and fix afterwards.

Economy-wise I am still generating roughly 8k and using 12k per day, running 5 research labs full time, and generating a small profit. No unit production which will put a stop to my expansions in probably a year, i'll have to restart those and build the next generation of units.

I show 2,483 units lost and 1.02 million military casualties for the U.S. 3 million military personnel left, most of those have to be reserves.
37 units lost for me for a total of 131 so far.

Today it's conquer time.

(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

I began in the east along the coast of texas, moving up and taking the cities - 180 crows and 2 stacks of Thaad AA. Every city has garrisons but the Crow has a combat time of 80 and just walks right over them. A few hidden U.S. units of foot infantry and towed artillery showed up, and their cursed air force which my AA can't seem to destroy because the stealthy F-112 don't stay around long enough to get a lock on them. About 30 French Leclerc tanks showed up to annoy me and make me chase them down but then I checked around and saw a thick stream of French merchant marines going upriver to unload in Ottawa, then drive down from Canada. And an almost solid stream coming from France to Canada!

Okay, that has to stop. Reloaded my boomers in the Gulf of Mexico and sent those + my boomers off the east coast of the U.S. to park offshore of France. And then I declared war and just unloaded 8 subs worth of nukes at them, roughly 125 ballistic city killers and 150 cruise missiles. I found out the cruise missiles are even weaker than I thought, they'll kill units easily enough but it might take a half dozen to kill a city even if they don't get shot down plus the 600km range doesn't help. I won't be making any more of those no matter how cheap and fast to make they are.

France still has Paris although it's pretty damaged. No suburbs, no military capacity of any kind, no coastal cities, no power plants or goods production, the bridge to England is gone, and almost every city they have is wiped off the map. It's a pretty land of highways going everywhere and the Germans were quick to send a large number of units over to drive on them. I still find it very strange that after using 300? cruise and ballistic nukes with high nuclear penalties, nobody seems to care. Or retaliate. I guess only strategic nukes incur the penalty and force a response in kind, which I would need SDI sats to protect from. You poor poor AI nations... I OWN YOU!

Initial French citizen satisfaction 27.4%, GDP/c 33,000.

Now back to taking over Texas.

///////////////////////

That attack is going well, I moved my attack force into the city-filled area on the coast, then hit that nice formation button and moved the entire line N a bit. France pulled a rabbit out of their hat and did an amphibious attack in my unprotected rear at Galveston, but as soon as I noticed I squashed that. I pushed the small force in Baja north and took a California city, so all of that area is in supply and back in my hands. Meanwhile I am forming a new line of 2 Crows on every tile to guard what I am taking. From Texas to Oklahoma City, then i'll push NW. This frees up a lot of troops to attack with and still keeps those pesky recons from punching holes in my line to frolic in my unprotected rear.

The buildings at the canal are finished and they are cheerfully destroying mass merchant marines without taking any damage and my economy has jumped, probably from the Texas oil fields. Enough that I turned on missile production and will be pumping out 48 SLBM every 60 days which I need badly because i'm out. Reloaded the last 150 and sent them to Europe where they might be needed.... I now see steady streams of merchant marines coming from Norway, Germany, UK heading to Canada. I could try to lay waste to all of Europe but what if I THEN anger Russia, India, China? My little SLBM are sweet, but they only have a range of 1665km, anything with a longer range (I would need 6k? to hit interior of Russia, figure 4k to hit everybody else) takes much longer to build and a lot more uranium. Then again, if I only take out all of unit production, power plants, goods factories in Europe.. surely they would have social collapse and nobody to get enough goods from. Mhm. Not betting on that option although it sounds nice.

Zero ships are heading from Asia to the U.S. Weirdly enough, the U.S. just made an alliance with North Korea who already had 20 alliances. North Korea. 20 alliances. Entirely too much peacemongering going on this game! Currently the U.S. is allied to Canada, North Korea, Uzbekistan, UAE, 2 other very minor nations.

France GDP/c - 28k, domestic approval 16.8%
US Military approval 32.5%, domestic approval 22.8%
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Cancelled all treaties with Germany, Norway, UK. Their ships going through the panama canal or already sent to land in my territory are dead meat now, and I sent my 3 carrier groups in the area to guard the waterway between Florida and Cuba. The U.S. didn't like that very much and pulled another 30 fighters from somewhere, before they died they killed a carrier, 6 fighters and a pair of zumwalts. This time they sent a lot of Delta Raptors, the ground attack version.

The boomers in Europe laid waste to Germany and the UK. First all production buildings, then all nuclear power plants, tiles with multiple power plants, cities with multiple goods factories and then I just starting killing cities with what was leftover. Had to nuke a few nosy brit ships that spotted me and lost some empty subs, I could really use a waypoint system for them. Heck, there might BE a waypoint system already in the game, there are so many tools that it's hard to keep track and find them all. 5 Ohio's survived and are north of Iceland now waiting - I might take Iceland as a rearming/refueling/repair base soon.

California is mine now. Originally the U.S. had 798m population, they are down to 520m. I am readying a force to land at Florida and then move N along the coast, I am hoping that the population loss of Florida and the east coast is enough to make them surrender. And the economy of France is completely shot, hopefully they'll collapse and go negative.

///////////////////////////////

I actually went from there and took new York, then DC and the U.S. did surrender. But my military expenses jumped to 44k per day and it was bugged, even after I dropped maintenance/salaries to 0 it stayed at 44k/day. Maybe it was because I made them a colony and I inherited something, or maybe just a bug. I'll take New York/DC again and find out. I should wait for the uranium mines/oil wells I just built in texas and California to finish anyways, I've noticed that if you make a nation a colony and something is being built they never restart the building process.

////////////////////////////

Just tried it 2 more times, once colonizing and once annexing. Both times I reduced both maintenance and salaries to zero, put EVERY unit I own in reserve, and I only inherited about 30 air fields, 3 land production and 10 barracks. It still gives me a 'preparedness' cost of 44k that drops to 15k every day. There is no way I can afford that, even if I annex the U.S. to boost my income and have 220k in the treasury it ruins me within 10 days. I reduced DEFCON to elevated (all I can do). I guess I must stay at war or give up the game because winning breaks me.

It seems this was known and supposedly fixed years ago. Surprise, not fixed!
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 53#p145012
Last edited by Leafgreen on Jul 17 2016, edited 7 times in total.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

DAR = Domestic Approval Rating
Initial/Current

France GDP/c 33k/25k
France DAR 27.4%/16.9%
France electric 42k produced/419k demanded

Germany GDP/c 24k/19k
Germany DAR 31.3%/22,7%
Germany electric 279k produced/558k demanded

England GDP/c 29k/28k
England DAR 30.4%/21.3%
England electric 191k produced/299k demanded

My income 16,718 - oil breaking even, electricity a little ahead, consumer goods 52k needed/84k produced.
My expenses 19,459 - 4k social services, 1,700 construction, 1k facilities, 303 interest, 1,304 research, 2.036 military.
Last day trades +5,407
Current treasury 96,365
Population 568 million

Current active military 1,018,210/reserves 498,616
Army - 1754 deployed (half in Africa), 235 reserve (all in Africa)
Air Force - 36 deployed, 100 reserve (all in Africa)
Navy - 199 deployed (most are merchant marines)/33 reserve (all in Africa)

Unit kills/losses - 8,440/155
Technology score - #4
Military score - not even on the first page =)
(Holds up 3 fingers)
Leafgreen
Colonel

Post by Leafgreen »

Video card decided to die on the 16th, been a fun time trying to find something that will physically fit inside my case + play nice with everything else + which of the thirty four different versions of the GTX 970 would actually be best. Then of course a new power supply, might as well grab some RAM too, etc.

I'll start playing again as soon as I can access the savegame on the tower again.

/////////////////////

Apologies, it appears I need a special tool to get the interior case screws out. I guess HP doesn't want people playing around inside their cases.

////////////////////

Even those did not work. They used - swear to god - rivets. Since I bought a new graphics card and power supply... seems best at this point to just order a new case/motherboard/cpu/HD/RAM and make a new tower. Soon as I get an extra thousand for the rest of the parts I'll make one, rather unexpected expense.

Meanwhile.... I DO have 1 save where I annexed the U.S. There is the $15k+ daily preparedness cost, the petroleum output from U.S. is at 50% but demand is still astronomical (440 oil power plants?!?!) but maybe I can work around that somehow. If I declare peace, or conquer everybody I am at war with (they don't have much of anything to defend with!) maybe I can make that absurd cost go away. We will see this week. =)

Okay, that's just not an option. Oil output is around 12 million, oil usage around 23 million - per day - and with cutting every cost I could I'm still $5k in the hole daily. Before I won that war I was still getting great oil output and revenues. Since I can't get at my old hard drive really and making a new computer i'm calling this one. AI wins.

//////////////////////////////

Next game possibilities -

Iceland. Iceland is worse off than Belize at 300k population, basically no resources at all, zero land units, 1 chopper, 1 patrol boat. But it is considered 'Northern Europe' for tech. Still be pretty easy I think.

North Korea. Ah, imagine the megalomaniac fun if you survive the first war. More of a moderate difficulty I bet, if you roleplay it. You'd never be at peace very long.

Iran. Not as fun as North Korea would be, but you have bigger enemies to declare war on. Less fun and a little more difficult if roleplayed.

Russia. Hard to play probably, since you have enemies on the far west and far east sides and transportation between the two isn't very good. And if you attack NATO, you'd have to declare war on all of the NATO countries to be fair. And your own personal line of unit designs.

Nukes. The AI only launches strategic nukes at you if you strategically launch nukes at them. And the AI doesn't build SDI sats. So you could use 3,000 strategic nukes fired manually and lay waste to the world with no retaliation or build SDI and be perfectly safe from strategic reprisal. That's not much fun.
(Holds up 3 fingers)
D.B. Cooper
Captain

Post by D.B. Cooper »

Great AAR, enjoyed reading it and got quite a few laughs in.

Return to “After Action Reports”