Guatemala - A New Central American Empire

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Guatemala - A New Central American Empire

Post by Xbwalker »

Game Settings
SR:U Sandbox - 1936
All Normal Difficulty
Default Resources
Default Starting Money (peanuts for Guatemala haha)
Weather Off - Because it tends to slow things down in later game for me
Hot Relations - Normal. By the way, when I see "Hot Relations" I think of something different entirely.

1936 -
As you can see, Guatemala is financially quite small. This is mainly due to having such a small population. Proportionally, it is actually better off than most of the Central American nations. My first order of business is to pump major dollars into social spending and raise taxes for the inevitable explosion of inflation that is bound to follow. Over the next year, I will be focusing on filling the gaps in production.
One last note, I am making positive consumer AND industrial goods. Nice! Not a bad starting position for such a small country.

1937 - The last year has been quite busy. Starting with some micro industrial factories and even a mid sized consumer goods factory, we have widened our margin on high value goods. As expected, the inflation rate is climbing upwards of 10% I am attempting to offset this with taxes but it looks like it will be up for years to come. Social spending is almost at 100% of norm (not 100% of max). This next year will be spent increasing our lvl1 goods production such as ore and Agriculture.

1938 - Hitler and his lapdog Mussolini are getting uppity in Europe. Already Austria has been annexed. As for domestic issues, our economy is now completely self sufficient except for Petroleum, Rubber, and Coal. As for coal...well there is always coal on the world market and it's cheap. For petrol and rubber, I have begun a massive stock. I am hoping to stock up enough to last 10+ years.

With Europe heating up and the world turning its eyes that direction, I'm sure they won't notice if El Salvador goes....missing off the world map.
Thanks to a few small purchases from the USA and Mexico, I have been steadily building Rangers over the past 3 years. ::Side Note:: I will use Western Nations army sizes and symbols for this. You can see them Here and Here.

Phase 1 of the invasion would involve 2 attack groups comprising of 1st and 2nd Battalions (1890 Soldiers Each), 3rd Battalion Reserves and 1st Artillery Group comprised of mix between old 1916 70mm Towed guns and the newer addition from my USA dealings - the 1917 155mm Towed Guns. 1st Batt will push the southern flank into Sonsonate while 2nd Batt. will be the spearhead and take the barracks at Santa Ana. 3rd will push into the jungle to the north but will not be capturing any major towns or cities. 3rd will act at my left flank guard since it comprises mostly of outdated militia and infantry units. To augment this weakness, 1st Artillery Batt. will offer close support. However, Artillery will stay away from any towns or industry. The army is on strict orders to minimize collateral damage to civilians and industry.

In another year, the plan will commence.
Last edited by Xbwalker on Oct 22 2014, edited 2 times in total.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Guatemala - A New Central American Empire

Post by Xbwalker »

For those who don't like supply view, my apologies. I like pretty colors :) Also it helps me keep from getting too far from my line of supply.

It should be noted, I have NO war justification on any country really. In a very short time..the world will really hate me. This should make things interesting when it comes to Mexico.
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

Supply overlay is not so bad, for me, when there are multiple colors all over a pic, is when it draws focus away from what the pic is trying to convey.

Nice story and I look forward to seeing how it unfolds.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

The first phase is going well. Although rangers are anything but shock troops, the war has certainly caught El Salvador by surprise. 1st Batt. is moving up quickly on the right flank. 2nd Batt. is about to face light resistance in the form of a single infantry and cavalry unit.

As I suspected, the enemy attempted to move on our weak left flank. One of my militia units took a pretty good beating before 1st Arty. decimated the enemy troops.

Within 7 days, the last piece of organized resistance was defeated. The last of El Salvador's units was destroyed immediately following the capture of their capital.

Oct 8th 1939 - The war for El Salvador has ended in total victory.
The war lasted 18 days.
Guatemalan Casualties - 518 (0 Units)
El Salvadorian Casualties - 4,560 (8 Units)
The war costed nearly $50,000,000 and now we begin scrapping all industry in El Savador to fund reconstruction of Guatemala.

May 1st 1940 -
For the first few months after the war, the economy crashed...entirely. We were unable to even buy coal which meant no power. No power meant no anything else. I was forced to scrap some of the coal plants and the one hydro plant left in El Salvador. The resulting influx of Industry Goods was enough to build a few more coal plants and industrial/consumer goods back home. Now the economy is fairly solid. We are bringing in about $500,000 per day. Not much compared to big nations of course but, it is slowly increasing my reserves.

As I suspected, the world was extremely unhappy about my little conquest. If I am to take Honduras next, I will need to save up enough money and build up enough troops to successfully defend my ports as well as my northern border. All while attacking southward. The next year or possibly 2 will have to be spent building for the next big attack.
Current Military Situation:
3 Full Ranger Battalions (21 Units)
1 Reinforced Company of Rangers (2 Units)
1 Light Battalion of Infantry and Militia (5 Units)
1 Full Artillery Battalions (are they called battalions if containing 1000+ soldiers?)
1 Recon Cavalry Company (1 Unit)
2 Outdated Artillery Batteries (2 Units)
1 Extremely Outdated Fighter - I am fairly sure it is the original Wright Brother's Glider with a BB gun on the nose.

Goal By 1942:
5 Full Ranger Battalions (35 Units)
2 Full Artillery Battalions (14 Units)
And possibly scrapping some of the outdated units
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Good to see someone writing AAR's :) However, why are you destroying industries in El Salvadoro? If you are playing on the latest update, then loyalty penalties have been fixed and you could have left them there.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

They are reduced. Not gone. Since my approval hovers around 30% I would suffer a significant penalty in unloyal territory.
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

Looking great so far!
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Oct 25 1940 - It is quite obvious that any further incursions into Central America may lead to war. While we are now secure from invasion by sea with 4 Ranger Battalions and a fully modern Artillery Battalion, we will be put in a precarious situation if Mexico or USA decides to use our southern push as an excuse to invade.
However, there is a glimmer of hope.

It seems that the UK favors us. With some political maneuvering, it may be possible to ally ourselves with them. While we have no real interest in the war in Europe, it is decided that war with Italy would be in our best interest.
Here is the plan.
1. Declare War on Italy
2. Make a suicide run on Muqdishu (Italian Somaliland)
3. Impress the Allies with our active involvement in the war against Facism.

As you see in my first pic, I have line up 4 Battalions of Rangers and 1 Artillery. Time to cross our fingers and hope Italian sailors aren't creeping around Somali waters.

Dec 5th 1940 - Our merchant marine is halfway there!
A side note: Running troops in merchant marines is quite expensive. My 4 Battalions cost me almost 5 million per day.

Jan 2nd 1941 - After an intense 2 day fight, the beleaguered native garrisons are dispatched. This day will forever be remembered as "The New Years Invasion." The commander of the defense must certainly have been confused to see a Guatemalan flag over the invading ships....He probably had never even heard of the place. :)

Jan 8th 1941 - Our troops are in place for the invasion.

Phase 1 - 1st Batt. will move southward and capture Jamaame and Kismaayo. We expect only garrisons due to the bulk of the Italian forces fighting (very poorly) against the Ethiopians.
Phase 2 - 2nd Batt. will move north to capture Baydhabo. We suspect that if there is any resistance, it will be here. Baydhabo is very near to the southern Italian forces in Ethiopia. 1st Arty. will be in reserve with coastal defense as its primary mission. However, should the need arise, 1st Arty. will be sent north to soften any resistance to 2nd Batt.
Phase 3 - The only other notable settlement in Somaliland is Bender Cassim. 3rd Batt. will move northeast to capture it.

Now we have to decide, will we turn Somaliland into our own Colony? Will we strip it of all goods and give the husk of it back to its people? Or will we annex it.

What do you think?
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

The plan went wonderfully. Suprisingly, Italy has not shown up at all! I was even able to take some of their Ethiopian and British West Africa aquisitions and hand them back to their owners (for a modest boost in relations).

Now my troops stand poised to take Bender Cassim.

What should I do with Somalia once I capture their last city? I leave the choice to you the readers. :D
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

Xbwalker wrote:The plan went wonderfully. Suprisingly, Italy has not shown up at all! I was even able to take some of their Ethiopian and British West Africa aquisitions and hand them back to their owners (for a modest boost in relations).

What should I do with Somalia once I capture their last city? I leave the choice to you the readers. :D
Colonize! That's what Africa is there for...
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

GreenGoblin wrote:
Xbwalker wrote:The plan went wonderfully. Suprisingly, Italy has not shown up at all! I was even able to take some of their Ethiopian and British West Africa aquisitions and hand them back to their owners (for a modest boost in relations).

Colonize! That's what Africa is there for...
+1
number47
General

Post by number47 »

way2co0l wrote:+1
+1
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Xbwalker wrote:The plan went wonderfully. Suprisingly, Italy has not shown up at all!
That is not surprising at all. Italy is unable to defeat ethiopia. In my game it even failed to invade Albania with a single unit. After I got LoS treaty with them I discovered hundreds of Italian units out of supply in Sudan and Libya. AI just sends them across the desert in the most stupid manner, totaly unaware of supply issues.
same thing happens to German army when they advance deep into Siberia - and get stucked FOREVER.

Proposed solution- AI should not send units into areas with supply levels below certain percentage.
Please teach AI everything!
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

I get home from work tonight. The polls are open until then.

So far we have
Colonization 3
Annex 0
Liberate 0
Last edited by Xbwalker on Oct 24 2014, edited 1 time in total.
ZEvans96
Major

Post by ZEvans96 »

number47 wrote:
way2co0l wrote:+1
+1
+1

Return to “After Action Reports”