It is Global Warming Comrade!!

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

a foot! lol. Whose foot are you using? Do you Americans still use someones hand to measure the height of a horse?

it's not that you have to total come to use metric... in fact for the most part we use both for different things. Construction is one that still uses both I believe.

I guess my point is... I do read many websites that talk about fuel efficiency. Many of these are American sites and they want people in other countries to read their sites but they only show one unit of measurement. All they'd have to do is show both when talking about fuel efficiency and it would be helpful to readers.
Miecznik
Captain

Post by Miecznik »

Few days ago. European Comission came to an agreement about cutting cars pollution emmision. Every new cars will have a 120 mpg emmision limit, with 95 Euro panality for each mpg over that (Mercedes or BMW emittes 185 mpg at medium). So higher emmision cars will somewhat cost more. It should cut emmision by few good percent. Well, i support them. When comparing todays cars abilities with speed limitations on most of roads, making slower, but less emmision cars has some sense. Sport cars will be a rare viev in future i guess ; ). Hybrid drive might be installed into such cars to actually "Give some kick" to them.

When taking "Its not human fault", "Nature did it and nature will take care of it". Take into consideration that humanity already got outside of Nature boundraries. Human is longer a race measured in thusands but in bilions. We do not hunt animals, or look for food in forest to get a meal but we actually manipulate nature so that it grows where we want it. So considering how many of us there is and what impact we got on landscape. We can shurely can have some impact on nature. Plus i would take into account that almost whole of our emmision got out there trough just last 200 years since the ind. revolution.

- Miecznik
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Sonce he just died, i thought id pop this up here.
Just another looney comic, or talking alot of sense this time ?

George Carlin “There is Nothing Wrong With The Planet!”

“I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren’t enough bicycle paths, people trying to make the world safe for their Volvos. There is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The people are (bleep) — difference, difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. It’s been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We’ve only been engaged in heavy industry for a little more than 200 years.”

“Two hundred years versus four and a half billion, and we have the conceit to think that somehow we’re a threat, that somehow we’re going to put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that’s just a-floatin’ around the sun? The planet has been through a lot worse than us, been through all kinds of things worse than us, been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sunspots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles, hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages, and we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere.”
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
thekingofc
Corporal

Post by thekingofc »

I 100 percent agree... Al Gore is in this for money. He is not in it to save the planet even if there was such thing as global warming theory.

Yes global warming is a theory... a theory unitl proven
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Re: It is Global Warming Comrade!!

Post by tkobo »

The World Meteorological Organization says the first half of 2008 was the coolest in at least five years. It expects 2008 will almost certainly be cooler than recent years, although temperatures remain above the historical average. The United Kingdom Meteorological Office's Hadley Centre for Climate Change says data shows worldwide temperatures have declined since 1998.

A scientist with the WMO says, "We can expect with high probability this year will be cooler than the previous five years."

Climate scientists differ about whether the cooling temperatures undermine the case for man-made global warming.
Chuckle TM
Allen2111
Lieutenant

Post by Allen2111 »

The way I see it, as environmentalists fight against "global warming", they are fighting against people and progress that mankind has made. Therefore, their leaders should be charged with crimes against humanity. If they want to return human beings to a simpler time, we can entertain them in their punishment. Forget reform! The treehuggers can be burned at stake and the animal lovers can be drawn and quartered.
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Don't overdo it. Environmental destruction is a deterrent that drives many people. It is a valid reason to be afraid.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
Allen2111
Lieutenant

Post by Allen2111 »

Yeah, but there is a difference in regenerative forestry and stopping the logging companies altogether. Saving resources is a valid reason, but people shouldn't overdo that either.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Problem is far too many of the "believers" have hyped ecology and environmentalism to the point of religion.

Over the top forecasts of gloom and doom, "act like we want or earth will be destroyed" has an all too familiar ring to it- "act like we want or god wont love you" "Act like we want or you wont go to heaven".

In the U.S. especially,this type of nutjob is often found at the top of the ecology movements.
-IE Gore,eco-terrorism, environmental terrorism, etc...
Chuckle TM
LeoXiao
Sergeant

Post by LeoXiao »

Pollution sucks. I hate walking by massive collums of SUVs every time I go to downtown, inhaling the carcinogenic fumes.

Cars are overrated. Why should we have to drive hundreds of millions of cars everywhere if people can just live in closer proximity to stores and work? It's healthier to walk. People shouldn't be practically forced to get a car in order to live.

Our society is backward because we don't operate nearly as efficiently as we can. There's so many people who like to pick on environmentalists, but they seem to think it's okay to lead wasteful lifestyles.

Oh, yeah, this topic is about global warming, right?

Someone said something about scientists following the money earlier. How can that be if combating global warming is actually supposed to make a detour for the economy? It's not in anyone's interest for global warming to exist. All you guys who are annoyed about Al Gore are just pissed that he didn't shut up after Bush cheated. I think his movie was good, and even though it will not have such a big effect on Americans who are already used to their wasteful lifestyles, he is still worthy of the Peace prize.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

LeoXiao wrote: Oh, yeah, this topic is about global warming, right?

Someone said something about scientists following the money earlier. How can that be if combating global warming is actually supposed to make a detour for the economy?

Becuase it reroutes money from developement and real science to people like Gore who just want the power and cash they can con away from society.

It's not in anyone's interest for global warming to exist.

Not proven it does exist yet.And even its supporters cant agree on what its effect are/will be OR its cause.

All you guys who are annoyed about Al Gore are just pissed that he didn't shut up after Bush cheated.

Ahhh, the obligatory anti-bush line.....
IF bush cheated, you guys who believe it must be really ...hmmmm... shall we say ..."intellectually challenged" ...when it comes to proving it.
How many years have you failed to make anything stick..
People dislike Gore, becuase he's a failed politician turned fulltime conman

I think his movie was good, and even though it will not have such a big effect on Americans who are already used to their wasteful lifestyles, he is still worthy of the Peace prize.

The nobel peace prize, which has NOTHING to do with peace and ALL to do with promoting political agendas ?
I guess having zinc mines on his personal property that hes recieved something like 20k a year for like circa 30 years , just doesnt matter to his environmental credentials :P
Or that while he held the office of vice president,he contiually was part of the successful drive by Clinton to hamper enviromental causes, such as preventing the E.P.A. from putting standards in place to limit radium in drinking water.
Or that gem they put thru into law (circa 1999)that prohibited consideration of higher fuel efficiency standards for cars.

Yup, if you ignore the reality of what Gores done over his life,completely, its easy to see why environmentalists embrace him :P

Chuckle TM
BigD145
Captain

Post by BigD145 »

tkobo wrote:Over the top forecasts of gloom and doom, "act like we want or earth will be destroyed" has an all too familiar ring to it- "act like we want or god wont love you" "Act like we want or you wont go to heaven".
The Earth is a figment of my imagination? Well thank god for that. I was beginning to worry there for a second. Worrying about gravity and friction was keeping me from enjoying my flight to the moon for a quick spot of tea with crackers and moon cheese.

There is no "belief" in science. It's not there. Science is observation and from observations you get prediction. You make a model based on current data and some past data, then use that model to predict something in the past that you didn't enter into the model. If you can do that over and over again without getting some off the wall results, then you can use that model to predict a bit into the future. You wait a bit to see what happens and if things still match up then you can predict far into the future, but the process never stops. It's constantly fine tuned, but in the case of average global temperatures we're talking about fine tuning .01 degrees C, not 1 or 2 or 10 degrees. A scientist does not step outside on a warm August day, look at a thermometer and say, "I believe it's -100 C out right now." and then work that into the model.

Do scientists say the word "belief"? Unfortunately, yes. It's a linguistic side affect of growing up in a religious household in a religious society. F*ing religious potty training. It's the equivalent of a lisp. The "scientists" that actually do believe things in their "work" and "studies" and "experiments" are not scientists.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Ive read your post multiple times now, and i'm not sure i see a relevant or accurate point in it anywhere.
The Earth is a figment of my imagination?
I can only wonder what you "think" that has to do with something ive said.
There is no "belief" in science. It's not there. Science is observation and from observations you get prediction.
WHAT ??? Perhaps you need to look up the definition of the word theory.A scientic theory, like global warming is,is a belief about how something works based on and formed from non-conclusive evidence.
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

tkobo wrote:...A scientic theory...is a belief about how something works based on and formed from non-conclusive evidence.
One point of clarification I think should be added to this is that it says "non-conclusive evidence", not "no evidence at all". I personally judge that the non-conclusive evidence I've seen strongly supports the theory of human beings causing an undesirable change in climatic conditions. I have however not spent enough time investigating the issue to feel comfortable presenting a defense for its case. I'm busying making games while the world falls apart around me :D
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Yup,i think there is evidence.

But i wasnt commenting in that qoute about global warming in specific,i was pointing out what a scientific theory was in general.
Chuckle TM

Return to “Off Topic Comments”