ARRGGHHHHH ! I sooooo need a new game !

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Dangerous waters looks interresting.

I might get Deus Ex 2 - i havent decided yet.

I carry 4 weapons- Assault rifle,assault shotgun,gep gun,and now the dragon sword.I used to carry the flame thrower in place of the sword.
I had expected to have to give the sword back,there is even a primary mission that looks like thats what i have to do,but oddly the conversations havent given that option yet.
Soooo- ill just use it til then :P

I run out of ammo all the time.I run out of picks and tools all the time.

I have started using the dragon sword when i can now, so i probably will be in better shape on picks and ammo.

I spread out my skills fairly wide- I am trained in locks,electronics and computers.
I am also trained in all weapon types except demolition.I even trained in swimming once.

I dont kill when I think I can get thru without it,this might be harming me on equipment also.If i can avoid a fight, i do.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

" Assault rifle,assault shotgun"

Deus Ex is a very good game but unfortunately the weapons arent very well balanced.
At least I didnt find many uses for both the assault rifle or shotugn.

I found the shotgun (any shotgun) only usefull with AP munition against smaller bots which dont warrant a GEP or LAM.

The assault rifle fires a ridiculous ammount of bullets which dont have any effect unless you aim at the head and thanks to the guns inherent inaccuracy you wont hit it often.
And the grenades are a little too rare.

The GEP gun is OK and it can also be used as a flamethrower replacement.

A very usefull and surprisingly powerfull weapon is the regular pistol,with a accuracy mod ,a lasersight and eventually even a silencer this weapon can kill most guards with just one bullet.
And the ammo is widespread and quite available.

Since nobody is going to call you camper the sniper rifle is also quite good,and with a silencer on board you can take out guards and dissapear without any trace.
And it also can take out one guard with just one shot.

"Soooo- ill just use it til then"
You can keep it :wink:

"I run out of picks and tools all the time"

Look out for doors and locker with a STR value other than Inf and take them out with force.
The same applies to turrets and bots which otherwise might have costed you a tool.
You have got a GEP gun use it.
And before you use GEPs or LAMs watch out for TNT boxes,they can be picked up and then placed next to the door,you safe valuable ammo if you detonate them instead of your LAMs or GEPs.
Explosive barrels are not that handy but sometimes the can be pushed to the right spot.

"I spread out my skills fairly wide- I am trained in locks,electronics and computers.
I am also trained in all weapon types except demolition.I even trained in swimming once."

Forget swimming.
Electronics ,locks and computers is always usefull.
Demolition training isnt bad but you should check if this really reduces the number of GEPs or LAMs needed to take out a certain target like a bot.

"If i can avoid a fight, i do"

Basically thats OK as long as you dont miss anything,and since you dont know the game too well there is a good chance that you might miss a cache of tools and lockpicks.
If your enemies are regular humans then keep in mind that it is possible to kill them with weapons that dont cost ammo.
And besides guards also do have equipment,up to LAMs sometimes (they also throw them)
If you dont kill them you might be missing something...sometimes guard also carry nano keys which you might not find otherwise.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

"I might get Deus Ex 2 "

I hope you havent already....I wouldnt recomend this game.

Notice as this game is actually called "Deus Ex Invisible War" and not
"Deus Ex 2"....and for a good reason.
It is by no means a sequel that is superior to its prequel ,if it is actually supposed to be a sequel after all.

Deus Ex IW is like Deus Ex with up to date graphics but without the athmosphere.
The story isnt as grabbing and engaging,the characters are boring,so are their conversations.
Just take a look at the guy on the cover of the game and you get a good feeling for the style of Deus Ex IW :-?

The review at Gamespot sums this points up pretty well ,dont be fooled by the score numbers though.
The reviewer tried his best not to bash the game too hard on the scoreboard but says what he thinks in the text.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Is Half Life 2 good? It's currently on my wish list. Anyone play it yet?
Aurore
Warrant Officer

Post by Aurore »

n/t
Last edited by Aurore on Dec 07 2004, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

...So I take it that if a person didn't have internet, they could not play the game?!?

I knew STEAM was evil, but had missed that it had reached such levels!! Tell me I've missunderstood... :o ?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

I have heard no different from friends who have the game and also some retailer sites (like Okaysoft) also explicitely state that an internet connection is absolutely required to "acitvate" the game.
Steelsky
Captain

HL2

Post by Steelsky »

Balthagor wrote:...So I take it that if a person didn't have internet, they could not play the game?!?

I knew STEAM was evil, but had missed that it had reached such levels!! Tell me I've missunderstood... :o ?
I just talked to a mate who bought it, he said that they have gone completely overboard on the copy protection, this is what they do:

You install the game (1 DVD or 2 CDs) and while you install you create a username on their servers.

When it's installed the game creates a unique hardware ID from various parts of your computer that carries information like that (I'm guessing MAC address and CPU ID and such) this is then sent to them and used to encrypt the files they have not included on the CD which you then download.

Once you have them they are then compiled into the game and you can run it, they say however that you can still play with your user ID on another registered copy though.

My webbank is not that safe, not even the online trading program for investment bankers I work with has an encryption setup as elaborate as that.

/Steelsky
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Maybe Valve forgot to notice that they sold boatloads of programs even before they had such fancy copy-protection in place - imagine that.

-- George.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Isnt that what windows does for copy protection ?
I remember reading that any major change to your computer could cause the EULA to be void as microsoft no longer would consider it the same computer you licsened the windows product for.
If i remember correclty this causes the windows update to no longer work for you off of thier site.

I know for a fact that the back up system i have(my number 2 computer) no longer is allowed windows updates and I know for a fact it did when I installed the windows copy(with its code),and i know for a fact ive changed just about every piece of hardware on it since i installed windows.

I wonder if hardware changes will affect Half-Life 2 after install.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Okay, i finished the one ending of Dues Ex .

I choose to meld with the program and try to "humanize" it.

I dont know if i succeeded or not though.The ending was very short and very non-descript.

I will probably try the other 3 endings later tonight.

Final score for game -would be- 8.5

And again i thank juergan and others for the recommendation.I also would reccomend it.

On an odd note,anyone know why i had to kill the german borg(Gunther?) twice ?Once during the ambush outside the train station and once later during a mission ?
Is his death a scripted event ?So even though I killed him earlier,it still had to occur again ?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

On the windows protection issue, you are correct, they do track hardware information, primarily the network card. However, if you change too much, it is supposed to only need to be "reactivated" and this can be done by phone. Far less evil, though evil none the less.

I have to say, on the STEAM issue, I'm far less likely to pick up the game knowing what I'll have to go through with it. :cry:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

tkobo wrote: On an odd note,anyone know why i had to kill the german borg(Gunther?) twice ?Once during the ambush outside the train station and once later during a mission ?
Is his death a scripted event ?So even though I killed him earlier,it still had to occur again ?
He is invincible at the train station ambush.
Totally.
Utterly.
Invincible.

I figured this out after about 30 reloads :/
Missiles!! Nukes!
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I could be wrong, but I dont think he is.It appeared I killed him with grenades that went off before and during his "speech" and conversational text choices .

I "died" in the battle also.But only after he blew up.And only after the text options were finished.I was sadly killed by my own grenades i think :( ,as both mechs had been already destroyed(before the text even began with rockets) and all the "men" where in the gas clouds and "theorectically" not able to attack me becuase of such even after the text ended.
Hmm now that i think on it,it might have been him exploding and not my own grenades that killed me.Not really sure.
Ill have to go back and see if i can see.

I was also by the way, able to kill the Girl borg(forget her name) and the number 2 bad guy borg(Howard Strong? ) during the conversation phases.
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

tkobo wrote:I could be wrong, but I dont think he is.It appeared I killed him with grenades that went off before and during his "speech" and conversational text choices .

I "died" in the battle also.But only after he blew up.And only after the text options were finished.I was sadly killed by my own grenades i think :( ,as both mechs had been already destroyed(before the text even began with rockets) and all the "men" where in the gas clouds and "theorectically" not able to attack me becuase of such even after the text ended.
Hmm now that i think on it,it might have been him exploding and not my own grenades that killed me.Not really sure.
Ill have to go back and see if i can see.

I was also by the way, able to kill the Girl borg(forget her name) and the number 2 bad guy borg(Howard Strong? ) during the conversation phases.
Yeah... She is killable even in the lebedev stage 747 airhanger bit....
Missiles!! Nukes!

Return to “Off Topic Comments”