ARRGGHHHHH ! I sooooo need a new game !

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

dust off
General

Re: ARRGGHHHHH ! I sooooo need a new game !

Post by dust off »

A zombie mod for ArmA 2 seems to be getting some good feedback

http://www.dayzmod.com/

Has the advantages of open world and co-op play.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

dust off wrote:A zombie mod for ArmA 2 seems to be getting some good feedback

http://www.dayzmod.com/

Has the advantages of open world and co-op play.
Good find, that does look interesting will have to give it a try.
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

I utterly fail to see the attraction of Zombies, or Vampires for that matter... Different era's I suspect, for me, killing ***** is the best!
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Becouse they are zombies. ZOMBIES I TELL YOU!

But now you got me thinking why zombies? Well I guess for me zombies are probly the most realistic non human kill games out there. Well besides stuff like big buck hunter. But then you say zombies are not real. which is true. however it would not take much of a bio mistake for them to be real.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Diablo 3 is crap to be avoided by rational adults at almost all costs :P Yes,thats right,if your being chased by diablo 3,you are fully justified in tripping one of the others beside you also running from this game as a means of escape from it......

Arma 2 zday.
Looked so good,the first vid i saw...then i looked deeper.
The zombies run,zigzag,and due to the flaws of the game,effectively teleport at times....
The servers for this mod are extremely limited and overrun with people trying to get on....
It has all the minuses of arma 2,including the complete asshat class....in fact such a player "earns" a new skin,just by being themselves in zday....
You will die.Survival is NOT an option.Word is average life is only about 4 hours of play.If your not an arma player,you will hate the controls and UI,til you acclimate

Now all that said.Its basically still alpha.And with a group of mature players,a closed server,and a more finished build,Z-day arma 2 could be staggeringly good.
Just look at how this one mod has taken an all but dead old game,and gotten people interested in it again.And not just passing interested,but rabidly interested.
It shows just how incredibly popular a fp zombie survival game with a large open map would be.

Zday has so much promise,that if they pull it off,id go to the point of renting a private server for it.Unless of course,the gaming industry shows it has more brains than a rock,and puts out a solid game with the features required that offers this same exp.Sadly,the industry isnt likely to do so soon,and the rocks clearly have the intelligence advantage over the industry at this time.....
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

tkobo wrote:Diablo 3 is crap to be avoided by rational adults at almost all costs :P Yes,thats right,if your being chased by diablo 3,you are fully justified in tripping one of the others beside you also running from this game as a means of escape from it......

Arma 2 zday.
Looked so good,the first vid i saw...then i looked deeper.
The zombies run,zigzag,and due to the flaws of the game,effectively teleport at times....
The servers for this mod are extremely limited and overrun with people trying to get on....
It has all the minuses of arma 2,including the complete asshat class....in fact such a player "earns" a new skin,just by being themselves in zday....
You will die.Survival is NOT an option.Word is average life is only about 4 hours of play.If your not an arma player,you will hate the controls and UI,til you acclimate

Now all that said.Its basically still alpha.And with a group of mature players,a closed server,and a more finished build,Z-day arma 2 could be staggeringly good.
Just look at how this one mod has taken an all but dead old game,and gotten people interested in it again.And not just passing interested,but rabidly interested.
It shows just how incredibly popular a fp zombie survival game with a large open map would be.

Zday has so much promise,that if they pull it off,id go to the point of renting a private server for it.Unless of course,the gaming industry shows it has more brains than a rock,and puts out a solid game with the features required that offers this same exp.Sadly,the industry isnt likely to do so soon,and the rocks clearly have the intelligence advantage over the industry at this time.....
That's actually a very good review. I disagree with you on ArmA2, but a good overview non-the-less. Let's hope they pull it off.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I got a few minutes of play on this earlier today.The bandits, a nice way of saying "game encouraged asshats" ,are a real problem.Just in the few minutes i played,i saw numerous people get pissed and complain about how they were already fed up .

the backpack loot system is atrocious

the little tents spread thruout the map,make little sense

and I was told in chat,that you could not create private locker servers for the game.Now this was news to me,as i was firmly under the impression you could.However the players who told me it,also said they found a working helicopter on the map,so im not entirely sure about their credibility.

oh and apparently,stairs are a zombies biggest weakness,as many zombies seemed unable to climb some of the stairs in the game.And before i forget,zombies can die to any hit.No headshots required.

If the no locked private servers is true, thats a deal breaker for me right there.The rest of that,though annoying,i could probably live with.But not being able to control who comes onto a server i pay for, thats simply not acceptable.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Man really any hit? Really figured they would make it headshot only. As for the asshats, that comes with the turf on any PVP game.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

tkobo wrote: and I was told in chat,that you could not create private locker servers for the game.Now this was news to me,as i was firmly under the impression you could.However the players who told me it,also said they found a working helicopter on the map,so im not entirely sure about their credibility.
As far as I know Zday has a main database server that keep track of each account so if a server crashes etc you still have your progress. It's this integration that prevents private servers, since you need an instance code from the main servers in order to run a server.

Pretty much there is no private server/ single player in dayz.

However its not the first mod of its type for arma 2 as far as the whole Zombie survival thing goes. If your looking for a private game there are other scenarios/mods that offer a similar experience.
Ruges wrote:Man really any hit? Really figured they would make it headshot only.
You can check this one out. Its singleplayer/coop and its head shot only. :wink:

Prologue - Dawn of the Apocalypse

Chernarus Apocalypse - Part One

Chernarus Apocalypse - Part Two

Chernarus Apocalypse - Part Three

Personally I'm not a fan of Zday, I poked around on it a few times..but it really wasn't my thing and I ended up jumping back on a few CTI servers and having more fun. Its amazing what can be done with modding Arma 2 however and Zday is a good example of that. I hadn't touched arma 2 in a few months before I heard about Zday so it did get me back into playing arma2.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I got a game called Iron front - liberation 1944. Its based upon the arma 2 engine, it came out on the 25th May, it is a little bit buggy though atm, but definately was worth the £20 that I paid for it.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

So again Diablo 3 is having server issues. Error 37 login servers are buisy. This whole internet connection for a single player game is so much crap. I mean getting connection lagg during single player has been unheard for me, well till now. This is such a botched system they have.

Anyway I want to give a big thank you to BG for keeping it real and not puting some sort of crappy protection system that hinders paying customers in your games.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Ruges wrote: Anyway I want to give a big thank you to BG for keeping it real and not puting some sort of crappy protection system that hinders paying customers in your games.
+1 to that (especially after experiences with C&C4 and SH5)
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

:polite bow:

It can be fun for some coop play IF the system cooperates. Doubt I'd be playing it much if my wife wasn't. I think Demigod is more fun and it's gotta be ~2 years older now, but no dungeons to explore.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Something new in the digital realm for gamers. Void.

Pretty much you get a limited number of slots. You can choose any game from gamergates Void library and fill those slots. Once you have selected a game you can download it.. watch a few mins of advertising then play it as much as you want. Your stuck with the game until that slot expires and you can then choose another game. But it costs the user nothing.. and there are some interesting games available. (mainly older or less known titles but we aren't talking about flash games here)

http://www.gamersgate.com/void

So here's the deal.. I got one slot. Added Crusader Kings to it. Downloaded it. Started it up.. watched adds and played.I did run into some difficulty.. since it was tabbing out when my Fire wall would ask if I should allow it.. the ads wouldn't run and the game wouldn't start. Adding it as a permanent exception fixed it.

Note every time you start the game you'll have to sit through about 1 min of ads, and the slot expires in about 2 weeks. So in 2 weeks I'll either be able to keep playing CK if i choose or Choose a different game.

Game selection. Right now As I noted above its mainly older or lesser known titles. Quite a few Paradox titles(if you've never played the paradox classics like crusader kings, HOI2 or EU2 They are all there). I really think this is a good idea for older games. At some point sales of a game thats a few years old probably drops to the point where its actually more profitable to switch to a free to the user advertiser based revenue. I can see more older games jumping on to this, so while the selection may grow I don't think we will ever see brand new games on it. Similar to how Network Television tends to get movies some years after the DVDs have been on sale.

I think its a brilliant idea for creating revenue from older titles. The Question is how many publishers agree with me.

If your wondering why i posted it in this thread.. its because you have a new(new to you anyway) game.. for free on void :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Concerning older games.. ever try GOG? Good ol Games. They take older games, make them work on new computers and sell for low money. As for me I still have and enjoy playing 1992's Gary Grisgby's Pacific War. I have been playing HOI3 FTM daily lately and I find myself wishing it had some elements of PacWar. It is not till much later that we often realize those games that are ahead of their time.

So there are other sites who agree with, or who GG agrees with. I think it is good to have the option to again play the older titles. Especially since us "older gamers" those who started in the 80's, are indeed aging and nostalgic about many titles. One can also see exactly how games have changed over time, in that the vast majority of them are much, much simpler and very much less complex. As I have typed in these forums before, I used to purchase games based on how much the box weighed. If it was heavy, it had a great manual and I would get as much excitement in many cases reading the manual and the often included history, as much as I would firing up the game on my 8086 which I had converted to a 8088 (I think, memory is not what it used to be) with a Turbo button just to play games.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG

Return to “Off Topic Comments”