ARRGGHHHHH ! I sooooo need a new game !

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Back, By Popular Demand :-)

Post by tinjaw »

8) OK! OK! I'll keep this public. 8)

I am just used to taking this type of thread private in other forums I visit. I'll remember to throw caution to the wind when posting in this forum in the future. :-)

Right now there is a lot of excitement in the wargaming-centric community because there are a lot of *potentially* great games in the pipeline for Q4/Q1 release. But as with food, choosing a game depends on your personal tastes.

I'll throw out one of two I personally am optimisticly awaiting and then play Answer Man :wink: and await your questions based on your personal tastes.

Codename: Panzers
I am really looking forward to this game because the demos seem to indicate that the game designers have succeeded in doing what they set out to do; that is create a *fun* RTS game *based* on WWII. Now, keep in mind that I am a grognard. I *own* POA-2, TacOps, ATF, Combat Mission, and Harpoon. I also read U.S. Field Manuals and once was working on a Masters Degree in Military Affairs. So I love realism and details. However, I also like to play games. And that is what Codename: Panzers looks like it will be - a fun game to play that doesn't let realism get in the way. Let me also state that I don't particularly care for RTS games and almost always chose turn-based over RTS. If you haven't already, I highly suggest downloading and playing the demos.

And since tkobo needs his fix A.S.A.P. let me suggest taking a second look at an older game - Galactic Civilizations. And if you already own it, remember that the Altarian Prophecy expansion pack is now available. This game, IMHO, is the best implementation of the 4x genre to date. I love this game and never have enough time to play it as much as I would like to.
Last edited by tinjaw on Sep 17 2004, edited 1 time in total.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

PoA 2 looks highly interesting to me,thanks Tinjaw :)
Since you have the game,may I ask you some questions?:
Can you use nukes?
Is it possible (meaning without great effort) to edit the weapon and ammunition table?
I know that the homepage states that this is not supported..but you have the game and maybe you know a few tricks :wink:
Does the AI give a you a good run for your money?

Whats ACF?
I Couldnt find it out.

GalCiv...well I dont have the game but played the demo for a while and Id like to say that I didnt like it much.
The game has a very simplistic combat and economy system,I just cant find much detail in the whole game.
It clearly isnt as detailed as Alpha Centauri which is the next best 4X game I would recommend...but I fear that most of us have played that game to death already :D
tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Post by tinjaw »

Juergen wrote:PoA 2 looks highly interesting to me,thanks Tinjaw :)
Since you have the game,may I ask you some questions?:
Can you use nukes?
Is it possible (meaning without great effort) to edit the weapon and ammunition table?
I know that the homepage states that this is not supported..but you have the game and maybe you know a few tricks :wink:
Does the AI give a you a good run for your money?
I would not recommend POA-2. It is not ready to play yet. I bought it already to show support to the developer. Scott at HPS is a great guy and I want him to work on the game to get it to where it is fully playable and functional. But he released it too early for various reasons. I suggest you wait a few months until you make a decision on POA-2. If you want more details visit this forum, but only after reading this interview.
Whats ACF?
I Couldnt find it out.
Typo on my part. It should have been ATF. Info can be found here
GalCiv...well I dont have the game but played the demo for a while and Id like to say that I didnt like it much.
The game has a very simplistic combat and economy system,I just cant find much detail in the whole game.
Chess is also simple, grasshopper.

Juergen, What are your favorite five games and why is each your favorite? With that info I could probably give you some better ideas of what to look at.
tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Another Game I Await

Post by tinjaw »

Another game I am awaiting is Gary Grigsby's World at War. I think it will be a whole lot of fun. It looks to be a mix between the board games Risk and Axis & Allies, while adding in some of Grigsby's penchant for logistics.

One of the games that is out now that I like to play is Fulda Gap '85 from HPS. But I would suggest its successor North German Plain '85.
Flame
Sergeant

Post by Flame »

An RTS game that will be out on Sept 21 that I had just heard about, is Dawn of War. There's a demo out that seems to show off the game decently, at http://www.gamershell.com/download_6943 ... awn+of+war

Not really my kind of game personally. but to seems to be done pretty well for an RTS
India 51A
Captain

Post by India 51A »

I too can endorse tinjaw's words re POA 2, it is absolute rubbish! When it was released it just didn't work, and numerous attempts by the developers to patch it have failed miserably. I am very annoyed that I spent good money on this product.

On the other hand, I can thoroughly recommend all the versions of Combat Mission (I currently am playing 7 PBEM opponents at CMAK and CMBB, the 2nd and 3rd versions of Combat Mission), also Tac Ops is an excellent game too, currently have 4 PBEM games going with that one. :)
"It is well that war is so terrible.
We should grow too fond of it."

Robert E. Lee
Battle of Fredericksburg,
13 December 1862
tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Build 121 Released

Post by tinjaw »

India 51A wrote:I too can endorse tinjaw's words re POA
To India 51A and anyone else following this thread,

Scott just release a beta patch build yesterday. You can download build 121 here.
Last edited by tinjaw on Sep 18 2004, edited 1 time in total.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Im sad to hear that PoA2 isnt quite complete,maybe the game will need additional time.
And besides I also found out that this game will also be very hard for me to get :(

"Juergen, What are your favorite five games and why is each your
favorite?"

Well,there are(this might take longer,I will sticking to 5 games :wink: ):

Alpha Centauri (+Exp Pack)
I played this game very often,alone or together with friends whenever the time was available.
Unlike Civ3 it is really the continuation of a series,it really IS an advanced Civilization.
Custom Units and a kind of custom government provided a lot of different playing styles and strategies.
And the world wonders (called Secret Projets in AC) also were original and had meaningfull effects.
They along with the plot,the available factions (really different civilizations),the planet and the setting were really convincing.
At recent times games "look" like they were made for kids,but not so Alpha Centauri,it is a product made for "us" serious strategy gamers.
And last but not least AC also had the most potent WMD in any strat game available that time....I remember when I build my first "Nuke",the smallest of the available warheads by the way and fired at an enemy unit sitting atop a hill...and wondered if the units would get killed by such a small warhead...the unit was gone...and the hill was FLATENED! 8)
The real big ones blow holes in continents....awesome.
Yes,Alpha Centauri also featured a "real" 3D terrain that have different stats depending on ther height.
As I said they were (actually are since Civ3 is a looser) many reasone to like Alpha Centauri.

Operation Flahspoint.(+ Resistance)
This game hasnt left my hardrive since I first got and it sucked up an unhealthy ammount of my time.
And playing it together with friends on a LAN party is a blast to say the least.
This game is more a simulation than shooter and in my opinion has captured the most important realistic aspects.
More realism if of course always better but OPF has a good ammount of it and much more....
From an infantry man armed with just a pistol to an A-10 you can play almost any type of unit.
And you can command them.
Men,tanks,jeeps,ships,helicopters and planes.
OPF is a real working virtual battlefield...no matter what role you want to play on the field of battle.
And the mission editor is one of the finest I have ever seen...while even a beginner will find it easy to build good scenarios advanced user have the option to easily write and insert custom scripts into triggers.
And the scripting language is eays to learn too.
In short: No matter what you want to do on the battlefield,wether you want to command,follow orders or just play Rambo OPF will get the job done :wink:

Fallout 2
Another game I played very often...I guess I have seen most possible endings.
The character creation worked quite well,there were many usefull combinations of skills and stats and just a few "useless" ones.
And there were many ways to play your character,you decide with whom to ally and who to kill.
You can be a good guy or a bad guy just as you please.
I know this doesnt very convincing but its hard to describe the many possibilities of the game,lets just say there were many ways to complete a quest and many different people who provided said quests.
Among other things you can transplant the brain of a (cursed) dog into a cyborg...now isnt that 8) ?
Another example:During combat you can decide where to hit the enemy and your choice can have a great impact on the battle.
If you hit someone in the groin and score a critical hit then this combatant will fall down (making it easier to hit him) and might pass out for a couple of turns.
And the game if huge...there is always more to be done.
Another thing which I very much liked in FO2 and in FO1 was its "maturity" in both language,characters and the wonderfully explicit death animations.
At least I felt that this content had its rightfull place in the world the game wanted to show,and by showing me these aspects of life after the bomb I feel like Im treaded like an ADULT and not like a kid who shouldnt be seeing this.

Sub Command (and 688 Hunter Killer)
I like sims in general and especially submarine simulations...provided they are as realistic and of the same quality as the sims mentioned above.
And I like driving moderm submarines more than WW2 or 1.
Both Sub Command and its ancestor modelled the ships and its systems in great detail and provided a very playable game with scalability for beginners and a good scenario editor.
Driving a submarine is quite a lot of fun because you are the hunter and you can choose how to hunt the prey,what weapons to use and eventually you might be the hunted and then you also have the choice how to escape.
You could dive deep,drive slow,maybe even fire a snapshot to distract you hunter.
Again,a lot of options.

The Harpoon Series
Not the only wargame I own but one of the most beloved and played.
As I said I like ships and submarines and commanding a whole fleet of them can also be a lot of fun.
And there are so many toys to play with...from Patrol boats armed with but a few MGs to SSBNS armed with SLBMs.
Sensors,weapons,engines,detection profiles...everything is modelled and you can play with it and intergrate the technology into you tactics.
Do you use active or passive sensors?
Thats up to you,read the capabilities of your systems and choose wisely.
The scenario editors is great and you can create any conflict you like.
If you just want a "punchbag" or a challenge is up to you.
Speaking of challenge the AI is sadly none :( the units just seem to follow their preplaned orders and do not deviate from them.
Has anyone found proof for the AIs sentience yet?
India 51A
Captain

Post by India 51A »

Juergen, thanks for your post, you just made me spend more money on another game. :)

I downloaded the Demo of Alpha Centauri and played it this afternoon, and I'M HOOKED! I've ordered the game from Play.com for the very cheap price of just £4.99. I'm having a problem finding a copy the expansion paxk, Alien Crossfire. I can't seem to locate it anywhere here in the UK, and I don't think I can get it shipped from the US. I'll have to check the bargain bins in some of the computer shops over here for it. :)

Robert E. Lee
13 December 1862
tinjaw
Warrant Officer

Post by tinjaw »

Juergen,

From your list, and your comment, I can get a good feeling of what types of games you like. I own AC, OPF, Fallout Tactics, 688, and Harpoon.

First of all I would suggest Jane's Fleet Command with the Naval Warship Project MOD. Together they make a good alternative to Harpoon.

If you like OPF for its realism, I suggest you give a(nother) look at WWII Online. If you value realism and team tactics over flashy graphics, this is a good choice. Many, if not most, of the "issues" this game had have been worked out by now.

Based on your choices, I would also suggest the Combat Mission games. A very fun to play realistic wargame with the WEGO system and fun to watch 3D "movies" during the action phase.

I would also suggest looking at picking up a copy of Kohan in the discount bin or the just released Kohan II. The cool things about these games is the downplaying of the resource aspects and nice variation on the real-time combat. Your units are groups that fight as a group, so you have control over "combined arms" tactics.

Hope that helps.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Thanks for the suggestions :) !

Fleet Command...in fact I was one of the unlucky few who purchased this game when there wasnt such a thing as the NWP mod.
The only thing it has which Harpoon doesnt is the fancy 3D graphics.

I already tested the MOD for a while until they decided to put the download in a place where you need a yahoo account at which point I decided not to bother anymore.
So Im not exaclty up to date...is there some major improvement I havent seen?

As far as I know the NWP project added a lot of new units to the game but unfortunately failed to fix two major problems:
-The time acceleration is still to low even at highest setting so commanding submarines requires a lot of patience.
-No nukes

WWII Online...I have taken a look at it and have noticed that there is a way to get a trial version which I will try out when I have got more time for experementing on the hand.
It sure looks good with well though out rules,a good choice of units (navy,air,tanks,infantry) but then there is the matter of being a pure online multiplayer game...due to my recent dissapointed with "Soldners Secret Wars" I have become somewhat careful with these types of game.

Besides the game also requires the player to "pay for play" likely along with a lot of paperwork to be done.
And in terms of setting and map editors Flashpoint still has the upper hand.

Combat Mission...HOT DOG!
This game (the latest:Afrika Korps) seems to be a dream for the tactics lover!
And Im used to the likes of Steel Panthers...
The WEGO systems simply does a marvelous job,it stops "mad clickers" from taking over while still letting units combat each other in realtime which allows for more realism than turn based games.
Just the way as its planned for Supreme Ruler 2010 BTW :D
A mission editor,quick battle,multiplayer...hadnt I read a few reviews I would have a hard time to spot shortcommings in such a small timeframe and only the demo at my hands.
Well the problem they mentioned which struck me was the AI...is it really that bad or has this been improved via some patch or mod?

The other problem which keeps me from buying it (aside from the limited availability) is the competition:
Wartime Command
http://pc.ign.com/articles/514/514331p1.html

Made by the very same crew (1C) who created the masterpiece IL2 Sturmovik.
Of course Combat Mission has more pedigree since the devs have been making these kind of games for while now so the latest installment had a good time to "mature".
1Cs game is actually a flight simulation (but with moving and firing ground units and ships) but very well done (the most realistic out there) with a lot attention to detail.
From what I have seen in IL2 I would say that these guys are highly capable and will see what information I can get about this title.

UPDATE:
It seems that this game wont be out until Q2 2005...so a lot of things can still happen.
As far as I could figure out this game wont have the WEGO system of Mission Combat.
The designers promise that you can recreate any battle that took place in Europe and Russia and it has a larger timespan,so the scale will likely be higher.
The battle will take place on an area as big as 1 square kilometer.
You controll up to 50 soldiers who in turn will be used to operate tanks,artillery and infantry weapons.
It is uncertain if a mission editor will be included!
The game engine is said to be an improved IL2 Engine.

Here is an up to date site with some of the information I just mentioned,you might need to translate the text however:
http://www.wartime-command.net/
sdrga
Corporal

Post by sdrga »

Wow! :lol: I just discovered this thread. I'm new to the Battlegoat forums since I've been totally obsessed with the RTW release (totally worth the wait, BTW)

So many of you folks are kindred spirits. I've been playing the Combat Mission games since they arrived, I'm really a big fan of any game that makes you scratch your head and consider a multiplicity of options. As I read this thread, it really started me thinking about what games I like and why I like them.

I really do love 3D environments, probably just for the eye-candy, but I like Civ-type empire building as well. RTW really gives me what I want there. Combat Mission as well. I've also always gravitated to games where you have to build something (Caesar 3, Emperor, Pharoah) as well as battle it out.

As many of you have pointed out, complexity is my friend as well. I'm also a fan of Alpha Centauri and I own the Expansion Pack. I know it's hard to find out there and I wish is was OK to make it available to you but I'm one of those sticklers for intellectual property rights so I can't. Have you tried eBay?

Anyway, I'll end this before (or while) I commit my most agreggious sin: lengthy posts! :wink:
sdrga
Corporal

A journey through the links...

Post by sdrga »

Well, in the process of investigating POA2, I then found myself looking at Wargamer.com for their review and then looking at Hearts of Iron Platinum and the upcoming HOI2. Then at another Paradox title, Crusader Kings. POA2 looks very grognardy and although I can go a long way in that direction, I hit my limit at the TacOps, Grigsby's War in Russia, War in Pacific level, although I want BADLY to like those kind of games. Not enough time, maybe? I don't know. Steel Panthers was OK. Has anyone been in gaming long enough to realize that SP really was based on an earlier SSI engine that was used on C64 games? That's pretty wild when you think about it.

I keep liking Paradox's ideas about time and setting and scope but then the gameplay (EU, EU2, HOI) itself literally blows you away with learning curve, complexity, and seeing the actions you take in the game lead to direct results. But.. I keep buying their games, anyway!! :o Go figure.

This Hearts of Iron Platinum promises a lot of patch, mod inclusion plus a much better manual. I may bite and try to find it tonight as I tour my patch of suburban Atlanta.
India 51A
Captain

Post by India 51A »

sdrga wrote:Wow! :lol: I just discovered this thread. I'm new to the Battlegoat forums since I've been totally obsessed with the RTW release (totally worth the wait, BTW)

So many of you folks are kindred spirits. I've been playing the Combat Mission games since they arrived, I'm really a big fan of any game that makes you scratch your head and consider a multiplicity of options. As I read this thread, it really started me thinking about what games I like and why I like them.

I really do love 3D environments, probably just for the eye-candy, but I like Civ-type empire building as well. RTW really gives me what I want there. Combat Mission as well. I've also always gravitated to games where you have to build something (Caesar 3, Emperor, Pharoah) as well as battle it out.

As many of you have pointed out, complexity is my friend as well. I'm also a fan of Alpha Centauri and I own the Expansion Pack. I know it's hard to find out there and I wish is was OK to make it available to you but I'm one of those sticklers for intellectual property rights so I can't. Have you tried eBay?

Anyway, I'll end this before (or while) I commit my most agreggious sin: lengthy posts! :wink:
Hi there friend :D

For sure you have found kindred spirits here on this forum, and if I didn't know better, I'd have thought we were identical twins, purely for our similarity in games we play and love.

My games unit shelves is stacked with such titles as, Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader, Age of Empires series, Age of Mythology, Empire Earth, Cossocks, Lord of the Realms, Civ II, Caesar III, Zeus, etc.etc.

But I have to say the Combat Series have me hooked, and I play every day, not single player, but with many friends by PBEM. I managed to get the Alpha Centauri expansion pack, but to be honest, I haven't had that much time to play it yet, being the avid gamer that I am, I have to divide my time between my PC and my PS2, with the new Pro Evolution Soccer 4 coming out this week, my time on the PC is going to become even more limited . :)

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and I hope you have many happy hours playing this fine game, as well as all the others. :)

Robert E. Lee
13 December 1862
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

"Okay, i just bought Dues Ex GotY online . Wont get it for a few days though. "

I guess you have got it by now,how do you like it tkobo?

Return to “Off Topic Comments”