ARRGGHHHHH ! I sooooo need a new game !

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

dust off
General

Re: ARRGGHHHHH ! I sooooo need a new game !

Post by dust off »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Man I've tried the Space Empires demo on my Vista machine so many times with no luck.

On recomedation I piked up ARMA 2 from elsewhere. Boy that is a seriously great 1st person, open world, tactical shooter. I got the middle east version and easily get suc ked in to the missions. Takes some practice though beacuse it leans towards the realism side.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

you'll enjoy arma2, you will enjoy the OA expansion pack even more, make sure you get the ACE2 mod, its absolutly awesome, so realistic
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

SGTscuba wrote:you'll enjoy arma2, you will enjoy the OA expansion pack even more, make sure you get the ACE2 mod, its absolutly awesome, so realistic
Yeah I'm going to use it as de-stress when I want a less operational strategy buzz, and feel like emptying a few virtual mags. Will probably end up picking up the Brit expansion too.

Can you pick highlight some key aspects of ACE 2?
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Well, it has many many more weapons and vehicles for a start. With the ACE pack Arma 2 has more vehicles then COD has guns. We also have the slingloading system for helos. Two different health systems (selectable), on revive, which is pretty much the same as in vanilla, and wounds which is a lot more complicated to use, and involves you carrying around different types of medical gear.

ACE is better suited for domination maps though, if you like pvp your probably best going to project reality if that is out.

dust off
General

Post by dust off »

SGTscuba wrote:Well, it has many many more weapons and vehicles for a start. With the ACE pack Arma 2 has more vehicles then COD has guns. We also have the slingloading system for helos. Two different health systems (selectable), on revive, which is pretty much the same as in vanilla, and wounds which is a lot more complicated to use, and involves you carrying around different types of medical gear.

ACE is better suited for domination maps though, if you like pvp your probably best going to project reality if that is out.
Thanks SGTscuba. That sounds very good. I don't have many hours on it yet because I'm using it when I need a break from the harder-core tactics in a company to battalion level game I play.

Is it stable. One of my biggest private groans of the Total War games is that it's the mods that make them playable after a few battles, but they kept crashing on me with Rome.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Its stable, but can be a while to load up if you are on a low ish spec comp, but they are working on optimizations and tend to release updates on a weekly basis, and for the last few updates its being getting quicker loading for OA and combined ops. Arma2 (standalone) ace has ended at 1.3. If you want a good server try the [EVO] server after about 8pm most nights, especially friday, exceptionally fun to play with them.

dust off
General

Post by dust off »

My rig should be about mid table I think. quad 2.4 Ghz and NVIDEA 9800GT. 3 GB ram.
Vista victim though :roll:

From a quick look at the forums it looks like it has a large hard core following with people putting together units and trying to follow psudo RL tactics. Next long weekend I get I'll pust some hours in and try a multiplayer.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Seems to be a growing trend for "episodal content".
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

DA2 is being said to be all but total crap.Didnt buy it, dont intend to buy it,but i am laughing .So i got soooooommmmmme entertainment out of it.Ahhhhh EA,almost everything they touch....
Chuckle TM
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

I am a huge DA fan, and orgins was decent too. The demo seemed ok but buggy. But after reading some reviews. The high price tag with the low amount of game play ($60 for 40 hours of play). I decided to wait. I was very close to buying it on release. But in my opinion I gota get atleast a 1 to 1 ratio on dollars per hour of gamplay on these RPG type games. As they have low replayablity. Instead I decided I will just wait till December when steam has it on sale for $20 and get it then. Dont get me wrong I think it will be a good game, just not as good as it should be, thus not warrenting the high price tag.
Rhyus
Colonel
Human: Yes

Post by Rhyus »

I liked origins but i was disappointed at the fact that your character didn't have a voice like in Mass Effect. I personally think that is a step back for them, if they do it for one RPG they should do it for any others they make or it just is disappointing to me.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Yea I found that voice situation a bit odd and have mulled it over in my head. While it would have been nice to have a voice for it. It kinda made sense that there was no voice for it. It was you saying the stuff. so if you wanted voice read it out loud.
Rhyus
Colonel

Post by Rhyus »

I get that it made sense but i just find it more epic with the voice and the story grips me more.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

First DA was exceptable, but not up to the standards of what we should have gotten from bioware.
The expansion,awaking, was of even a lower standard than DA
Second DA lowered if from the expansion.

Its just a slow march downwards so far.
Chuckle TM
Rhyus
Colonel

Post by Rhyus »

Well i dont think i am even going to bother with DA 2 its not for me and i didnt even finish the first one so i am finished with DA. But i cant wait for Mass Effect 3 that should be a great game :D

Return to “Off Topic Comments”