So happy for this Forum....

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

nick-bang
Colonel
Human: Yes
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

So happy for this Forum....

Post by nick-bang »

As the Steam Forum is infested with completlely brainwiped infantile simpletons......

This Forum somehow has always - or at least mostly - been above that...
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: So happy for this Forum....

Post by GIJoe597 »

You are correct sir.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

To be fair the little of the SRU steam board I have seen is not that bad by steam standards. Admitted that standard can be low to the point of meaning absolutely nothing at times but still.
Large steam communities in particular appear easily reach critical mass on idiocy and going there can be migraine inducing.

Personally while I dislike steam I really also just skip the steam boards for a combination of saving time and there not being any reason for me to go there. I am mostly concerned about the modding side of the game and as such the steam boards have absolutely nothing for me.

Now that I have said that I am sure the spirit of the steam boards is going to all in its power to prove me wrong
nick-bang
Colonel
Location: A dark and ominous room - only illuminated by the eerie light of a computerscreen

Post by nick-bang »

Nerei wrote:To be fair the little of the SRU steam board I have seen is not that bad by steam standards. Admitted that standard can be low to the point of meaning absolutely nothing at times but still.
Large steam communities in particular appear easily reach critical mass on idiocy and going there can be migraine inducing.

Personally while I dislike steam I really also just skip the steam boards for a combination of saving time and there not being any reason for me to go there. I am mostly concerned about the modding side of the game and as such the steam boards have absolutely nothing for me.

Now that I have said that I am sure the spirit of the steam boards is going to all in its power to prove me wrong
Well ... that is true to some extent.

However the SRU Steam board isnt that big, and yet manages to produce some truly epic nuggets of irrational stupidity.
There really is nothing to get from Steam boards as they are the hunting grounds of infantile idiots devoid of any coherent thought.

So my point was simply a headnod to this Forum, which has a far higher level of intelligent discourse.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

While I agree that the Steam forums tend to bring out the worst forum behaviours, one of the contributing factors as I see for the good habits exhibited on this forum is our simply, single rule of "be polite".

But that also means we should not be referring to people as infantile idiots, even if they're not here. That isn't really polite either.

We're certainly glad we've been able to maintain a quality forum experience here for more than a decade. :-)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

Balthagor wrote:While I agree that the Steam forums tend to bring out the worst forum behaviours, one of the contributing factors as I see for the good habits exhibited on this forum is our simply, single rule of "be polite".

But that also means we should not be referring to people as infantile idiots, even if they're not here. That isn't really polite either.

We're certainly glad we've been able to maintain a quality forum experience here for more than a decade. :-)

Hmmmm: Rhetorically then I can agree that Ad Hominem attacks are invalid, and for that reason can acknowledge your position.

However .... having said that, then I would at loss for words to describe some of the sentiments being displayed on Steam, as being produced by anyone of NOT having a subpar Intelligence. Combined with a rather childish inability to accept that not all will agree with your own ideas.
And with a tendency to lean towards a somewhat irrational need to reduce all dialogue to the lowest common denominator.

There Balthagor: was that a bit more nuanced ?
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

lol. I think he meant that he appreciated the feedback and the appreciation for the work they've put into making this forum a quality place to come to discuss the game, but that it was better to just leave it alone and move on at this point. :)
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

way2co0l wrote:lol. I think he meant that he appreciated the feedback and the appreciation for the work they've put into making this forum a quality place to come to discuss the game, but that it was better to just leave it alone and move on at this point. :)
I know what he meant .... I have been here for years :wink: :lol:
way2co0l
Brigadier Gen.

Post by way2co0l »

nick-bang wrote:
way2co0l wrote:lol. I think he meant that he appreciated the feedback and the appreciation for the work they've put into making this forum a quality place to come to discuss the game, but that it was better to just leave it alone and move on at this point. :)
I know what he meant .... I have been here for years :wink: :lol:
Fair enough. I think I'm just off to a slow start today. lol
JollyGoodBork
Captain

Post by JollyGoodBork »

OP is right. Generally speaking, this forums is very mature, helpful and interesting. People are always polite.
On steam the discussion sadly is not quite on the same level.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Rabble rabble rabble
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:Rabble rabble rabble
Haven't seen that one in a while :lol:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

:lol: Meh .... Let the Rabble stew in Steam ... Just dont tell them about this forum :wink:
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

Also ...its blissfull that this forum does not have the hysterical, uptight and paranoid rules and moderators of Paradox´s forums...

Seriously... these are just SOME of their rules, and even discussing even ONE of them can result in permanent bans ... :

"NOTE: There will not be any gulags or deathcamps (including POW camps) to build in Hearts of Iron4, nor will there be the ability to simulate the Holocaust or systematic purges, so I ask you not to discuss these topics as they are not related to this game. Thank You. Threads bringing up will be closed without discussion.

The HOI 4 forum is not the place to discuss current laws of various countries.
-No Discussion of German laws about symbols

NOTE: Strategic bombing in HoI4 will be abstracted and not allow you to terror bomb civilians specifically. Chemical weapons will also not be included in the game. Any threads that complain about this issue will be closed without discussion.

NOTE: There will not be any swastikas in the game. It IS illegal to show them in Germany and various other countries. Same goes for other Nazi symbols (e.g. related to the SS) or Nazi propaganda material, including songs etc. Any links posted to a mod which includes a Swastika or other illegal Nazi symbols will be deleted. Any threads that complain about this issue will be closed, and issued an infraction

Note: Threads on military statistics that are non-game specific are not be started. Also, statistics will not be used as a backdoor to get around rules regarding slave labor, gulags, concentration camps, terror bombing of civilians / civilian casualties, and other forbidden topics.

Failure to follows these rules will result in bans.

Regarding East vs West: East vs West is a canceled game, Paradox has said everything they intend to, and feel the statement posted here is still valid.

Threads discussing East versus West will not be started, nor should members of the community request cannibalization of East versus West's programming for inclusion in Hearts of Iron IV. Threads engaging in this behavior will be closed.

Furthermore, discussion of how to acquire unreleased materials related to Paradox products is not allowed. Threads engaging in this behavior will be closed, and further action against the individuals in question may be taken.

Continued posting about East vs West will be treated as spam.

Also, like every other forum around here, you should always follow the general forum rules, which can be found here."

I LOVE Battlegoat .... !
And this Forum ...
nick-bang
Colonel

Post by nick-bang »

Wellcome all

Return to “Off Topic Comments”