looking for 'beta readers' (sci-fi/military manuscript)

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

medic911
Major

looking for 'beta readers' (sci-fi/military manuscript)

Post by medic911 »

Finally trying to make the last push on this thing i've been sitting on for a year while i get more school stuff done, and its about time to start letting some of the general public read it and provide feedback for my final rewrite. It is a science fiction/military manuscript of approximately 70,000 words. While the manuscript contains some YA elements, it is very much a 'general audiences' book. Here is the rough draft 'back-of-the-book' synopsis:

On an Earth-like planet in the midst of a Cold War, three military officers and a high school student's lives and relationships are upended by first contact with an extra-terrestrial species—their claim: they've come to help win the Cold War.
General Jenkins leaves on the eve of his son Steve's birthday in an attempt to convince The President that the aliens are deceiving them and planning to attack. His perceived insubordination on the brink of war lands him in a military prison, stripped of his rank.

While Major Paul Robinson and Captain Jenny Branam oversee the construction of a new space station on the moon, the new alien arrivals occupy their base. Robinson and Branam suspect the aliens have something nefarious planned and seek proof. After a failed assassination attempt on the major results in the death of a colleague, the two officers act on their own and start a war their planet may be unable to win.

Meanwhile, Steve continues his daily struggle to survive high school and win the heart of his crush. He remains ignorant to the true nature of the events unfolding in space—until the fires of war light up the night sky of his hometown.

While the manuscript is not a rough draft, it is also not a final draft. I'm happy to field any suggestions for changes, additions, improvements--even adding/removing/re-ordering chapters and events. Finding typos would be pretty helpful too. think of it like beta testing a game, only reading a book, whatever comments or thought you have would all be immensely helpful to finish the writing process and help determine how to market the final product. if you decided to do this, you would make suggestions/edits in-text by using the track changes feature of MS word, or otherwise write in comments/changes in a different color ink using another word processing software.

additionally, it would be helpful to conclude with a review of any length covering your opinions of the book as a whole, the writing style, if it entertained you, what it reminded you of, what you would expect to see it priced for, and if you would or would not recommend it to someone (why/why not).

i'd rather not post the whole thing on here, so reply in the thread with any questions you may have so i can answer them once for everyone. PM me if you want to beta read for me and i'll send you a copy of the work in progress. if you want to see a sample before you make a decision, i'll send the first three chapters w/ prologue (again, PM and its yours)

also, if you know anyone who would make a good cover illustrator, im in the market for one!
D.B. Cooper
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: looking for 'beta readers' (sci-fi/military manuscript)

Post by D.B. Cooper »

Looking forward to it!!!
Ricent1
Captain
Human: Yes

Post by Ricent1 »

Absolutely. How do I get a look at the manuscript?
medic911
Major

Post by medic911 »

I'll pm the link to dropbox when I get home.

Return to “Off Topic Comments”