Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

number47
General
Human: Yes

Gamestop/Impulse Digital service

Post by number47 »

[_]O
Just found out Gamestop/Impulse digital service is no longer available outside North America (well, this happened few months ago but I haven't been visiting that site much since I got "hooked" on Steam so I didn't notice till now :D )...lost about a dosen games bought there (including SR2020 and SRCW) since it is not even possible to contact their support if you're outside NA to ask how I can access the my games that I bought there... :lol: |O

While it doesn't hurt me much not being able to access SR titles since I have SRU on Steam, there are some games I don't have on Steam and really hate not being able to have access to them.

I'm just venting here :-?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
number47
General

Re: Gamestop/Impulse Digital service

Post by number47 »

Update. :D

Installed some firefox addons to trick their site I'm from USA and I managed to enter the main site and chat with their support (after two hours of waiting in support queue :lol: ). Lot of help that was...in the end "he" suggested I try VPN to trick their application :lol: :lol: :lol:

So is their anyone who knows their way around VPN connections? I need to make them think I'm connecting from USA so I can log in my account, download/archive the games on my hdd, and than I don't need to ever deal with them :D

Any help is appreciated :wink:
chainsawdaz
Warrant Officer

Post by chainsawdaz »

To be honest, it may be worth spending a fiver or so on a months subscription for a professional VPN service, most free proxy's around will be incredibly slow and unreliable whereas a dedicated one that you have paid for wont.

I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ all the time and I can't fault their service.

This is my speed without the vpn:

This is it with their vpn enabled (connected to a Canadian server):

number47
General

Post by number47 »

Yeah, VPN solved the problem (I'm using tunnelbear). Now I just have to pay the monthly subscription to remove the 500mb monthly download limit to download my games since all of them are in the 4-10gb region :roll:

Anyway, up yours Gamestop! :P
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:Yeah, VPN solved the problem (I'm using tunnelbear). Now I just have to pay the monthly subscription to remove the 500mb monthly download limit to download my games since all of them are in the 4-10gb region :roll:

Anyway, up yours Gamestop! :P
I saw this coming way back when stardock sold impulse to gamestop as my previous experience with Direct2drive (now gamefly) showed me how these things work... I threw a hissy on their forums and knew well that i wouldn't make a difference. Thanks brad.... :roll:

This is/was my whole complaint about digitial distrubtion in general. You don't own a thing.. you're at best renting it. Yes legally speaking due to licensing this was always true but its different when the license can be revoked at any time for any reason as opposed to a physical copy. Imagine the gaming apocalypse if something like this or what happened to D2D ever happened to steam. :lol:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:I saw this coming way back when stardock sold impulse to gamestop as my previous experience with Direct2drive (now gamefly) showed me how these things work... I threw a hissy on their forums and knew well that i wouldn't make a difference. Thanks brad.... :roll:

This is/was my whole complaint about digitial distrubtion in general. You don't own a thing.. you're at best renting it. Yes legally speaking due to licensing this was always true but its different when the license can be revoked at any time for any reason as opposed to a physical copy. Imagine the gaming apocalypse if something like this or what happened to D2D ever happened to steam. :lol:
Yeah, when this happend, you were the frist thing that came to my mind (remember reading about it on your forum). :lol:
Someone, somewhere wrote:As for the "apocalypse" scenario you mention, in the event of "civilization as we know it going down the toilet", I'll raise a Jolly Roger and laugh at their face.
[_]O :D

Return to “Off Topic Comments”