F111 Aardvark

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

F111 Aardvark

Post by GreenGoblin »

I saw this plane had amazing stats in SR so I looked it up and found this documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZhMVG2W_QQ
D.B. Cooper
Captain

Re: F111 Aardvark

Post by D.B. Cooper »

Nice find, I actually sat down and watched that. I kinda wondered why the stats were so high. Im going to have to start using it more.
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

D.B. Cooper wrote:Nice find, I actually sat down and watched that. I kinda wondered why the stats were so high. Im going to have to start using it more.
It's quite remarkable that the F-111 was competing on a level playing field with the Panavia Tornado in terms of some of its capabilities at the Flag exercises even though the aircraft are from two different generations.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

What I find fascinating is that the stuka . . . erm, I mean Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II and the B-52 are _STILL_ to this day integral parts of the United States Air Force.

The A-10 must be the single best close air support in all of aviations short history. Seem to recall reading that something like 95% of all the air kills in the Gulf War and Operation Iraqi Freedom were from this plane.

The B-52 I'm sure must also hold many records.

Despite one having been initially designed in the late 1960s and first flown in the 1970s and the other first designed in the late 1940s and first flown in 1952, these two old workhorses are STILL in main combat roles!! :o Granted, a lot of their avionics guts and powerplants have been either fully replaced or rebuilt, but I believe most of those airframes are easily as old or older than most of the pilots and technicians who fly and maintain them!

Nonetheless, as far as I'm aware the USAF has no plan to replace either aircraft at any time in the next 10 years. Now THAT is good design! Brown Bess eat your heart out :D

Return to “Off Topic Comments”