Great Britain without Scotland

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hullu Hevonen
General

Great Britain without Scotland

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

If Scotland seceeds from the union, what would the flag looklike of Great Britain? Would the name great Britain even be kept?
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Thumboy
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Re: Great Britain without Scotland

Post by Thumboy »

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/ ... 34x316.jpg

This is what the UK flag would be like.....
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

The Scots will probably find out that they will be just as bad off as in the UK. Scottish Politian's haven't done any better than English ones (just see new Labour for example). The only difference will probably be that instead of everything being London centric, it'll be Edinburgh centric. Just have a look at the stupidity of HS2 in the UK at the moment.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Happy Linux user!
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Apparently the Scots are attempting to be nuclear free- this would shut down the only base that the UK has that maintains their nuclear arsenal, which would essentially leave the Brits without a nuclear deterrent unless they spend billions of dollars to rebuild the base somewhere in England. Poor Brits. :-(
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Chesehead wrote:Apparently the Scots are attempting to be nuclear free- this would shut down the only base that the UK has that maintains their nuclear arsenal, which would essentially leave the Brits without a nuclear deterrent unless they spend billions of dollars to rebuild the base somewhere in England. Poor Brits. :-(
They are planning to move it to Devonport (where nuke subs are based) in the event they cant leave them in Scotland.

Anyway, I feel sorry for the Scots having to make this big decision on the amount of disinformation that has been going around from both sides. It pretty much seems to be one side saying it'll be the end of the world and the other saying it will be eden. (I'm from England btw, and I don't care which way the Scots vote, but I'd hate to have to make that decision based on the info that has been put out by both sides in this [s]shouting match[/s] 'Debate')

Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

SGTscuba wrote:
Chesehead wrote:Apparently the Scots are attempting to be nuclear free- this would shut down the only base that the UK has that maintains their nuclear arsenal, which would essentially leave the Brits without a nuclear deterrent unless they spend billions of dollars to rebuild the base somewhere in England. Poor Brits. :-(
They are planning to move it to Devonport (where nuke subs are based) in the event they cant leave them in Scotland.

Anyway, I feel sorry for the Scots having to make this big decision on the amount of disinformation that has been going around from both sides. It pretty much seems to be one side saying it'll be the end of the world and the other saying it will be eden. (I'm from England btw, and I don't care which way the Scots vote, but I'd hate to have to make that decision based on the info that has been put out by both sides in this [s]shouting match[/s] 'Debate')

Huh, I missed that portion of it. Are they actually going to shell out the billions of dollars to rebuild the infrastructure down there then? From what I've seen, if they do decide to shell out the money, some other portion of the defense budget will probably take the hit.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

They still haven't fully decided because they are betting on a No vote, but it is one of 2 places they have got marked. I think that an old oil refinery was the other (I think the shutdown Milford Haven or something) as it had the deepwater access needed already and not a lot was around there anymore so plenty of room to build the base. I think Devonport seems most likely as they already have the structure there for the submarines as that is where the attack subs are mainly based. I guess the cost of moving them might be tagged onto the same cost as renewing them as that is going to have to happen soon as our SSBN's will need replacing by 2025ish (we're already part of the missile section replacement project the US has started for its next Gen SSBN's).

Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

The thing that I think is sad is the already happening business panic, if there is a yes vote and the separation is smooth, then there shouldn't be any major economic impact for the big companies.
Happy Linux user!
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:The thing that I think is sad is the already happening business panic, if there is a yes vote and the separation is smooth, then there shouldn't be any major economic impact for the big companies.
Well actually, thanks to recent (I think EU) regulations, all the banks that are based in Scotland, will have to move their legal HQ's to the UK as that is their biggest market. This means that although job's might not be lost, tax will be paid more into the UK than Scotland.

Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Happy Linux user!
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

TBH, its been both ways from what I've seen, even in the live debates, its been Darling basically saying DOOM! and Salmond going "but their scaremongering". Neither side has put forward a good argument IMO.

The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Without Scotland, I think it will be islamic Caliphate of Al-Londonistan.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

The Khan wrote:Without Scotland, I think it will be islamic Caliphate of Al-Londonistan.
No, the rest of the UK is likely to get its independence from London and leave the Caliphate to itself.

GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Post by GreenGoblin »

Rule Britannia!

Return to “Off Topic Comments”