So Catalonia, Scottland and now Veneto wanting independence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc2EBAELOGU
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Veneto independence

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Why is it that only the Russians are covering this? Checked Euronews, CNN and Reuters with none of them covering it. It would be significant if Veneto actually seceeded. OR if they managed to seceed, suspect Rome and the EU would mind very much if they seceeded.

Sources:
http://rt.com/news/venice-votes-independence-italy-585/
Happy Linux user!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I think that's because it's essentially a non-story;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Independence

Doesn't sound like there is much support.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Seems so, and it seems the Referendum was an non-governmental referendum that the separatists conducted on their own. I wonder what the voter participation was and how they control from where the participants voted, that is if their Venetians.
Happy Linux user!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Looking again at the link in OP in consideration of what I read gives me a very low opinion of the journalistic abilities of that RT.com site. Seems like garbage journalism to me.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
notus
Lieutenant

Post by notus »

Balthagor wrote:Looking again at the link in OP in consideration of what I read gives me a very low opinion of the journalistic abilities of that RT.com site. Seems like garbage journalism to me.
It is basically Kremlin Propaganda, there was a article named "Crimea? No Venice" on the site according to espesso.repubblica.it a italian news site
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Yeah thats garbage, RT hasn't always been this garbage. Before the Crimean Crisis they actually did bring valid views with facts on different topics. This gave a refreshing to the western media. There are some western media outlets, especially fox news which are in my opinion as well garbage. But I try to watch all news still so I will easier understand people that watch those news. Reuters is in my opinion among the most professional lately. Though, these things seems to sligthly shift overtime.

I would still like to know more about the Veneto separatist referendum, like the things I mentioned above. I have a hardtime beliving that the separatists would of made an inofficial referendum without some popular, economical and political support and no western news agency reports about this. After all the Liga Nord did gain seats in the last general election, which includes Liga Veneta. Italy is actually a relativaly young state unified in the 19th century with force, so it would not be suprising if the old regions had supporters for independece.

Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lega_Nord
Happy Linux user!
notus
Lieutenant

Post by notus »

One major problem with the independence would be the enourmous costs of keeping venice from sinking with the sea level rising, a project that was finished recently costed about 6B€

Return to “Off Topic Comments”