Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

To BG

Post by Ruges »

Don't make an Egosoft blunder:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/

I have no problems with games being released in a beta stage. And in the beta stage its just fine to have problems with the game. that's what the beta stage is for, testing the game and finding problems so they are not there in the official release. You just have to make it known that it is a beta release so people can expect problems. I also don't have problems with there being a couple quirks in the game early release, especially in late gameplay, that has not been tested as much.

However the current release of X-Rebirth is just so sad. The problems I have had, and others had is just crazy. I have come to the conclusion that they either did not test the game, or they knew of the problems and continued to roll out anyways. These are game breaking problems.
Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: To BG

Post by Fistalis »

Ruges wrote:Don't make an Egosoft blunder:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/

I have no problems with games being released in a beta stage. And in the beta stage its just fine to have problems with the game. that's what the beta stage is for, testing the game and finding problems so they are not there in the official release. You just have to make it known that it is a beta release so people can expect problems. I also don't have problems with there being a couple quirks in the game early release, especially in late gameplay, that has not been tested as much.

However the current release of X-Rebirth is just so sad. The problems I have had, and others had is just crazy. I have come to the conclusion that they either did not test the game, or they knew of the problems and continued to roll out anyways. These are game breaking problems.
TBH that seems like an ordinary steam discussion thread right after launch. :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

I think these charts do a good job of showing what the player base does when a game has a bad launch. They stop playing.
http://steamcharts.com/app/2870#1m
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

first of all... who the hell buys a game on steam with a critic score of 31? :lol:

anyway...

i found this little tidbit in one of the player reviews that made me think of SR:

"Every game ever made has two very important simple rule: The basic controls have to feel natural. The interface do not stand between me and the game. "

:roll:
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

mattpilot wrote:first of all... who the hell buys a game on steam with a critic score of 31? :lol:
I generally ignore metacritic.. when users start throwing a hissy thats what actually gains my attention. (especially when you consider some ratings systems don't translate well.. a 2 out of 5 star positive review ends up as a 40 on metacritic)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

2 out of 5 is 40.

20, 40, 60, 80, 100

Seems like a perfect translation to me.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

Interesting article - it has merit. But then again, its just one more opinion in the sea.

Everyone has niche' desires, so obviously what the great masses think will not always reflect your own taste. But it is a good starting point and indicator to evaluate a product/service before sinking any cost into it. The meta score quite often stops me from buying games on steam. But then again, i've also bought games with low score. Its just one indicator that goes into the bigger equation. There's also a lot of 'emotional' critics out there that vote super low based on just a few flaws that help you figure out what the 'biggest' problems are in a game - like every ubisoft game has low scores cause of the DRM they use (and in my opinion justly so ;-)).

The thing is.... i much prefer the metacritics and opinions of the 'uneducated masses' over what hte article describes as 'professional reviewers'. I always ignore those, as they offer no value and have no credibility (to me). Eurogamer for example reviews games based on 3 hours playtime (darkfall debacle). Also to many 'paid' reviews out there (platforms gotta make a buck).

Return to “Off Topic Comments”