East vs West Paradox's new game

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

goulash
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

East vs West Paradox's new game

Post by goulash »

Same theme but will the HOI engine win you over?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/con ... 816f5f8f61

I will be trying it no doubt as I love the HOI series. Not sure if their will be as much freedom as SRCW and if it is released as bad as HOI3 was initially, I can see a swarm of players coming over to SRCW. I am just hoping that upate 3 will make the game so good that people like it.

Will Batlegoat be launching any expansions to coincide / compete with this new game?
Fistalis
General

Re: East vs West Paradox's new game

Post by Fistalis »

Meh, not a fan of the HOI engine anyway.. may as well be playing risk as far as the battles go..
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Chauncey
Warrant Officer

Post by Chauncey »

Looks very interesting. A little competition is always good for consumers!

Venturing an admittedly reckless guess, I would imagine that EvW will be more streamlined, have more character & polish, and generally offer a more grand strategic scope, while SRCW will likely offer more tactical depth, more technical minutiae (not a bad thing to many of us), more economic freedom, more clicks (oops! meant to leave that one out), and a better "sandbox" feel.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

The Cold War is a story. The HOI engine is very good at telling stories threw scripted events. So EvsW should be a good game about the cold war. However it might be a bit challanging for them to put that much scripted events in. HOI was what 1936-1948, A 12 year period. And only half of that was acualy war. Compared to the cold war, which I would put in a timeline of 1945 to 1995, With the real period in 1961 to 1989. Which is a 50 year period. Can the scripted events hold up to this length of period? With enough branches?

Now becouse HOI is so good at scripted events. The lead up to and including going from a cold war to hot war could end up being pretty exciting. Will we see exciting events that create first strike options. Events that are reminisce of that great old movie War Games?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Personally I think lacks Hoi engine lacks same debt that SR engine offers, especially when it comes to economy, combat. Though the Hoi engine offers more role-playing, characters. But I like the SR's current event system, instead if having popups that pop-up in the middle of your screen and you accidentally click the wrong option(hugely annoying), though scripting could be advanced, not fun making 39000 events with a notepad and excel.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
goulash
Lieutenant

Post by goulash »

Well I kind of agree with what fistalis says about the game feeling like a big game of risk but the latest expansion (their finest hour) has added to that and included a lot of new features that has taken some of the static feel out of the game.

The thing is, HOI does indeed do a story mode quite well as others have said but my fear is that it will be released as a bare bones product and most likely be very buggy at first which is why I suspect a lot of players will then be drawn to check this game out. I am just gutted they have not taken SRCW team and combined efforts as that would just have rocked the genre to new levels. We can only dream.

At the moment I just feel more excited about the 1.3 patch than I do about East v West even though I will no doubt buy it.

Anyway, Battlegoat should be wroking on a SRCW expansion and give us details (nudge, nudge :D )
mikeownage
Colonel

Post by mikeownage »

I'd like them to finish fixing cold war before making any expansions for it :)
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

EvW does bug me on one area--you can't import a HOI3 game into it. HOI3 also promised to make it where you could import a Vicky2 game, but they decided not to do that as well.

Yes, I love their games, but with the event structure they are very inflexible and fairly predictable. Easy to win the Civil War if you know when it starts!
icemanistheking
Lieutenant

Post by icemanistheking »

Aragos wrote:EvW does bug me on one area--you can't import a HOI3 game into it. HOI3 also promised to make it where you could import a Vicky2 game, but they decided not to do that as well.

Yes, I love their games, but with the event structure they are very inflexible and fairly predictable. Easy to win the Civil War if you know when it starts!
Yeah, hopefully with the Cold War theme, though, there will be more flexibility/variability. I hope the diplomacy options are expanded from HOI3, because HOI3's diplomacy is just, well, sad. I know it's meant to focus on the war itself and Paradox wants YOU to focus on the point of the game, so it is forgivable in that case, but hopefully with Cold War being a much broader focus, things will be added/expanded/changed.

If it is just basically HOI3 in a Cold War costume, I will be very disappointed.
DenisG
Lieutenant

Post by DenisG »

Hi folks.

I think the idea is pretty good to allow the same interesting historic setup in a more macro stylish game for those that are eager to do it. I will give it a shot, as usual.

To me personally, the micro details of SSCW is the best thing I have seen on any simulation/game sphere and this is really what makes it so interesting to me. As HOI moves into the Cold War Era, it seems time that SS-XX will move into the WW2 segment. Looking forward to that.

Best regards,
Denis
zorro
Sergeant

Post by zorro »

Looks like it will be a good game. To those saying they are worried that the game will be released buggy. There is no need to worry because it will. Paradox treats its newly released games as a big beta test. That being said they will fix the bugs. It just annoys me that it requires you to buy expansions sometimes multiple expansions.
oaia
Sergeant

Post by oaia »

SR:CW.
1959, player-West Germany(7.2.72):
SU: Hi WGermany, how are you?
WG: Not bad, I produce 80%ish of world industrial goods and make huge profits from that, consumer goods and Oil,
I lead the world in tech by ~15 techs since USA sold me all the tech they had,
I also am at full employment for a decade,
I have the 36 of worlds`s 36 nuclear powerstations,
produce the lion share of Uranuum, and I developed nukes,
I just recently Become dictatorship again, and rebuild my military-industrial complex to world class, and i`m in military alliance with USA, and UN just loves me.
SU: Cool, how can i help you?
WG: Sell me you best NBC-protected tank, best infantry, artillery, best interceptor and best strategic bomber capable of nuclear bomb delivery.
SU: No problem bro, 5B$.
WG: Thanks, see you in 4 years!
1975: WG decimates the eastern block with huge invasion after a nuclear barrage, that had seen no retaliation.
1976: Eastern germans protest and demand to return to communism, which they are loyal to.

:lol: Really?

From what I can see from the information we get, EvW will be similar to Victoria 2 in terms of economy, which is awesome.

Then, PI does a great job with UI, where the game mostly tells you why exacly this or that happens to economy. Hell Victoria 2 has a world market overview where you can see major goods producer and in HOI3 UI allows you to find whom to purchase from extreemly easilly.

In SR:CW, on the other hand:
Me, WG. I export a tonn(1/3 domestic consumption, rest-export) of Ind goods, production cost 4.4k, WM cost 2.2k.
I start 18 nuclear reactors, now i consume 2/3 of my ind. goods. rest is export.
100 days, production cost 12k, WM cost 14k.
How?!? :x (or to be more precise why does the production cost fluctuates so drastically, since the price of inputs and the GDP(which I assume is an indication of the labour cost) stays almost the same).

What is the price of unit of energy from various powerstations? The game does know that info, since it calculates the national production cost. Why can`t it be shown to the player?

Ex. ex. It feels like the game is trying to hide information from you, on what exactly is happening.

From what i see, EvW will have more developers than BG on the game, and they have a really good foundation of HOI3 TFH + V2 AHD, so i guess the game should be really good.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

I never liked HOI series of economics and diplomacy and I feel any cold war game would emphasise soft power like diplomacy, covert actions etc.. over hard power. It'll be interesting to see how they do it.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I saw on the Paradox forums where this game may not be released. Apparently they will try a beta and looks like they be asking for donations but even then the game might not released.

IMO any game trying to duplicate the brinkmanship of the Cold War would be very hard to accomplish. The only way I can see it happening is if the world went hot, then game over and all saves erased. I don't think many peeps would go for that.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Hundane wrote:...IMO any game trying to duplicate the brinkmanship of the Cold War would be very hard to accomplish...
Yes, yes it is :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Off Topic Comments”