Julian Assange and related stuff

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hullu Hevonen
General

Julian Assange and related stuff

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Great Britain threatens to assault the Ecuadorian embassy, because of Mr Assange. Ain't assaulting anyones embassy an act of war?
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
gavco98uk
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Re: Julian Assange and related stuff

Post by gavco98uk »

It may well be seen as one.

Apparently after Yvonne Fletcher was murdered outside the Libyan embassy, a new law was introduced that allowed the UK to suspend the diplomatic immunity of an embassy temporarily, thereby allowing them to enter and arrest whoever they wish.

By law it may be allowed, but I would imagine many nations would still consider it to be a hostile act.

In other news though - Ecuador have now granted Assange political asylum. I'd be interested to know how they plan on getting him out of the country though without him setting foot on British soil, thereby allowing him to be arrested...
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

gavco98uk wrote:It may well be seen as one.

Apparently after Yvonne Fletcher was murdered outside the Libyan embassy, a new law was introduced that allowed the UK to suspend the diplomatic immunity of an embassy temporarily, thereby allowing them to enter and arrest whoever they wish.

By law it may be allowed, but I would imagine many nations would still consider it to be a hostile act.

In other news though - Ecuador have now granted Assange political asylum. I'd be interested to know how they plan on getting him out of the country though without him setting foot on British soil, thereby allowing him to be arrested...
But ain't it against international law to assault an emassy, dose that not have precedence in this case over british law? Ecuador decided to grant Assange assylum, though, I don't know how they'll get him out of there.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
fool
General

Post by fool »

Frankly, there's no such thing as international law.

What is certain is that breaking into the embassy would piss off Ecuador, and possibly a bunch of other nations to boot.

On the other hand, the UK not doing its utmost to extradite would piss off the rest of Europe.
"All warfare is based on deception...
Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

I'm patiently waiting for Assange to show up on the doorstep of the Buckenham palace curtisy of the SAS..
number47
General
Human: Yes

Post by number47 »

So, UK is threatens to storm the Ecuadorian embassy to seize a "person accused of rape" (we all know why they really want him :wink: ) but when they were asked a decade ago to extradite a certain runaway dictator indicted for human rights violations, well let's just say they weren't "so keen" to act on that request :lol:

Don't you love politics? :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “Off Topic Comments”