The Falkland Islands

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: The Falkland Islands

Post by tkobo »

This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Mission Space
Colonel
Human: Yes

Post by Mission Space »

Hahahaha I love when the Brits get their ***** kicked but jokes aside, since when did Britain lose its Global power stance? Not being able to project power to the south Atlantic? Doesn't the UK have a an experienced battle hardened army? Royal Marines? An aircraft carrier? Surley British training and technology can beat Argentine forces, I doubt the Argentine navy has a sophisticated logistical and reinforcement system that can ferry supplies and troops from the mainland to the islands.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Britain does currently have 2 amphibious assault ship, meaning helicopter carriers, while their harriers are retired. So a Falklands war today would be fought from the British part, with an smaller navy(big ships) and helicopters instead of air planes. Argentina on the other had has 26 A-4AR, unspecified IAI neher and even 16+(more on order) the IA 63 Pampa(which can be loaded with bombs and used as a light bomber) which can reach the Island. The Argentine navy has also more Missile ships these days, but from what I can gather, they have some destroyers out of service due to no experienced personnel, lack of spare parts etc.

Overall, I would say that Argentine couldn't currently invade the islands, or Invade and keep them. The Garrison on the Islands is strong and equipped to hold out until help arrives. And I don't think Argentina will get it through the political way either, considering that almost 100% of the Falklanders chose to remain a British overseas territory. So, this leads one to as oneself, why is Argentine then drumming on this issue? My guess is for domesitic reasons.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Sawedoff
Captain

Post by Sawedoff »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:Britain does currently have 2 amphibious assault ship, meaning helicopter carriers, while their harriers are retired. So a Falklands war today would be fought from the British part, with an smaller navy(big ships) and helicopters instead of air planes. Argentina on the other had has 26 A-4AR, unspecified IAI neher and even 16+(more on order) the IA 63 Pampa(which can be loaded with bombs and used as a light bomber) which can reach the Island. The Argentine navy has also more Missile ships these days, but from what I can gather, they have some destroyers out of service due to no experienced personnel, lack of spare parts etc.

Overall, I would say that Argentine couldn't currently invade the islands, or Invade and keep them. The Garrison on the Islands is strong and equipped to hold out until help arrives. And I don't think Argentina will get it through the political way either, considering that almost 100% of the Falklanders chose to remain a British overseas territory. So, this leads one to as oneself, why is Argentine then drumming on this issue? My guess is for domesitic reasons.
Its all a domestically political move. You create a common enemy, it helps the administration in power keep popular opinion in their favor.
Thumboy
Lieutenant

Post by Thumboy »

CptBritish wrote:Had a very long conversation with my Dad and cousin today about the Falkland Islands. Me and my Dad both been more 'right leaning' than my cousin both think they should stay British no matter what and my cousin for instance thinks talks should happen with the Argentines. I think hes a complete idiot for it but its his view and hes family so meh... Just wondering what you guys think seeing as though this is my most active forum ever lol

Other than just saying "***k the Argies they tried and failed to take them back and they are only 'really' interested now because of the possible oil under them" which I acually would say if I was asked the question in a pub. The people want to stay British why should the Argentinians get the islands? Yea Spanish settlers may have been there nearly 200 years ago but why just us? why not every country on the planet gives back territory that it has taken in those 200 years, that gonna happen? No.

and Hillary "I've taken sniper fire" Clinton can mind her own ***king business... I'd love to see what she say if some random decendants from Russian Alaska decided it wasn't fair of the Tsar to sell Alaska and they wanted to be Russian again and they were backed up by the Russian President... Yea I know exactly what she'd say and it would translate from diplomatic speak to average Joe speak as "***k off" Sound far fetched? It would probably hold more weight than "We want those islands back! There WERE Spanish people living there *Cough* in the 1800s *Cough*. There aren't any or many now and just about all the people on the island want to stay British but still they are ours! Why can't we have them?!?!

Meh Just wanna see what people think if anyone cares.... lol
In my opinion, they shouldn't go to:

-Britain because it is silly that the British should control islands on the other side of the world and also because Britain is finding it hard to govern Britain itself because of growing nationalism in Wales and Scotland and so they should concentrate their power at home.

-Argentina because the people on the archipelago regent Argentinian rule.

In my opinion, the best solution is an independent state.
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

MI6 should assassinate the trout-faced saggy old boot.

Return to “Off Topic Comments”