The Falkland Islands

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

The Falkland Islands

Post by CptBritish »

Had a very long conversation with my Dad and cousin today about the Falkland Islands. Me and my Dad both been more 'right leaning' than my cousin both think they should stay British no matter what and my cousin for instance thinks talks should happen with the Argentines. I think hes a complete idiot for it but its his view and hes family so meh... Just wondering what you guys think seeing as though this is my most active forum ever lol

Other than just saying "***k the Argies they tried and failed to take them back and they are only 'really' interested now because of the possible oil under them" which I acually would say if I was asked the question in a pub. The people want to stay British why should the Argentinians get the islands? Yea Spanish settlers may have been there nearly 200 years ago but why just us? why not every country on the planet gives back territory that it has taken in those 200 years, that gonna happen? No.

and Hillary "I've taken sniper fire" Clinton can mind her own ***king business... I'd love to see what she say if some random decendants from Russian Alaska decided it wasn't fair of the Tsar to sell Alaska and they wanted to be Russian again and they were backed up by the Russian President... Yea I know exactly what she'd say and it would translate from diplomatic speak to average Joe speak as "***k off" Sound far fetched? It would probably hold more weight than "We want those islands back! There WERE Spanish people living there *Cough* in the 1800s *Cough*. There aren't any or many now and just about all the people on the island want to stay British but still they are ours! Why can't we have them?!?!

Meh Just wanna see what people think if anyone cares.... lol
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Re: The Falkland Islands

Post by Chesehead »

I'd like them to stay with Britan, but I'd like to see them keep it. Right now, England doesn't have the abilty to power project like they did in 82'. So if the Argies want them, they're going to get them.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Technically due to international law, since we have owned the islands for 99 years, we officially own them outright. Also, if the people want to stay British, then we should respect their right to be.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Chesehead wrote:I'd like them to stay with Britan, but I'd like to see them keep it. Right now, England doesn't have the abilty to power project like they did in 82'. So if the Argies want them, they're going to get them.
Yea the British Government has really gambled on Argentine goodwill, Maybe threats with our Submarine Missile capacity would work? Not that I think the Government would risk nuclear war over the Falklands. But any country in the world would defend their territory, we would be the laughing stock of the Security council if we just bent over and took an Argentine attack laying down. Plus actual defense network of the Island is alot better than it was in 82' theres a full garrison down there now rather than 50 Royal Marines :-)
SGTscuba wrote:Technically due to international law, since we have owned the islands for 99 years, we officially own them outright. Also, if the people want to stay British, then we should respect their right to be.
Try telling that to that Mad Woman who basically inherited the Argentine Presidency. :lol:

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

It'd be stupid for the Brits to go nuclear over the islands as that won't work, and I think the Argies would call their bluff. They'd lose any of their international good will, and the Argies will look like the victims.

Even with a full garrison on the island, the Argies could still probably take it and hold it. I think they have enough force to cut off any reinforcements from Britian.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Chesehead wrote:It'd be stupid for the Brits to go nuclear over the islands as that won't work, and I think the Argies would call their bluff. They'd lose any of their international good will, and the Argies will look like the victims.

Even with a full garrison on the island, the Argies could still probably take it and hold it. I think they have enough force to cut off any reinforcements from Britian.
Enough Naval force? I doubt it.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Xbwalker wrote:
Chesehead wrote:It'd be stupid for the Brits to go nuclear over the islands as that won't work, and I think the Argies would call their bluff. They'd lose any of their international good will, and the Argies will look like the victims.

Enough Naval force? I doubt it.
Britan can't power project that far, especially since they won't have any air cover like they did in '82. They'd get eaten alive by Argie aircraft and what few subs they have.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

we have a nuclear submarine nearby at all times, and remember what happened last tiem we had one involved (the whole argie navy ran scared after we sunk the belgrano).
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Although I have no doubt that the Argies would beable to take the islands if they put most of their military 'might' into it. I don't think they would beable to hold - at least for long - the islands if taken.

Firstly our level of Submarine technology is going to be way above theirs getting any reinforcements to the islands via sea would be a challenge for them as we could cut them off from Argentina.

Any Argentinian attack would need to be mostly Aircraft which we again would hold the technological advantage but I think it would play less of a part here than the sea because they would beable to overwhelm the RAF squadron stationed on the Falklands.

So they would first need to take out the RAF and the AA then Paradrop soldiers onto the islands. Beat off the Infantry stationed there. In my oppinion they'd then come up against the following issues.

1. Supply. Would the Argentinians beable to pull of a Berlin styled Airlift? Maybe for a short period but long term? I doubt it. I say this because like I said above our subs would be covering the islands and our Subs are one of the few parts of the Royal Navy that our wise and benevolent Prime Ministers have not cut. Yet.

2. Cruise missiles. Cruise missile attacks on the Argentinian supply lines. Like military airfields, Bases etc. Could cripple a successful airlift as mentioned above.

3. Not a big one but an important one. If the RAF was beaten and the Ground forces expected invasion at any moment, I think they would render any airfields useless, if the Argies weren't able to land planes it would make supplying any future occupation much more difficult.

4. Counter Attack. No we can't pull 20,000 men out of thin air and send them to kill things. It may take longer than 1982 but I think it would happen. We also have a very experienced army now due to constant fighting for 10 years... What have the Argentinian armed forces been doing?

5. UN/NATO pressure (However minor). Like has been said above the islands are 'legally' ours. The UN and Nato for all their failings can't (Or shouldn't) overlook an invasion on a Security council member, no matter how much our power as faded since both organisations were set up.

Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Not to mention the US would probably use this as a good training tool for our navy by "helping our allies".
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Hopefully so :-)

Although 'He who walks on water' has been cosying up with the Latin Americans quite a bit lately.

Hopefully his advisors would remind him who his best friends are :wink:

I mean you can sell things to any country on Earth its the daft sods that follow you into battle who really count :lol:

warhead
Captain
Human: Yes

Post by warhead »

lol @ hillary clinton siding with argentina over GB over this. perfect example of where we need to stay the F out. if the UK owns the land and the people want to stay british, i see no reasoning for talks.

america's economy is on the brink and we are still getting involved in #### like this. mind boggling.

i'm sure GB could take care of any war there themselves, US has no money for any future war. how much did we just waste in libya? who the hell knows who is going to end up running the government there.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

warhead wrote:lol @ hillary clinton siding with argentina over GB over this. perfect example of where we need to stay the F out. if the UK owns the land and the people want to stay british, i see no reasoning for talks.

america's economy is on the brink and we are still getting involved in #### like this. mind boggling.

i'm sure GB could take care of any war there themselves, US has no money for any future war. how much did we just waste in libya? who the hell knows who is going to end up running the government there.
Yea the Argie President seems to ignore that fact... but then the British are the bad guys :-?

Yea we've spend loads on Libya according to the media... Alot money than the 200mil that was quoted in Feburary or March...

Whats betting in 15 years the British, American and French Governments are regretting it :roll:

Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

Falklands should stay British territory.

When the RAF started to retire some of the Tornado aircraft in place for the Typhoon, they RAF organised a full squadron of Tornado's that are on all time deployment to the Falklands. Even though the nadoes' are now dated, we still have air defences down there to hold off Argentinian aircraft.

I believe that logistically getting trrops to the Falklands, still would'nt be much of an issue. The Royal Navy is the most experenced naval force in the world. Naval logistics from the UK has been happening in a world wide scope for hundereds of years.

Even back when the Falklands war was happening, we managed to get some Vulcans to fly non-stop from the Ascention Islands to bomb Stanley in Operation Black Buck. Here is an exaple of British ability of Logistics...
Wikipedia wrote:The Vulcan lacked the range to fly to the Falklands without refuelling several times, as it had been designed for medium-range stand-off nuclear missions in Europe. The RAF's tanker planes were mostly converted Handley Page Victor bombers with similar range, so they too had to be refuelled in the air. Thus, a total of 11 tankers were required for only two Vulcans, a huge logistical effort, given that both the tankers and bombers had to use the same strip.

The raids, at almost 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km) and 16 hours for the return journey, were the longest-ranged bombing raids in history at that time (surpassed in the Gulf War of 1991 by USAF Boeing B-52G Stratofortresses flying from the continental United States but using forward-positioned tankers[15]).

Of the five Black Buck raids, three were against Stanley Airfield, with the other two anti-radar missions using Shrike anti-radiation missiles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

You have to remember, the British have always been great at being eccentric in behaviour, so most things that seem odd or hard to do, the British usually find a way around it.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

but you do not have the V bombers any more. But realy itis pointless the RN Sub would make the Argies think twice before they make any invasion
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati

Return to “Off Topic Comments”