The Falkland Islands

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

elmonstruo
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Re: The Falkland Islands

Post by elmonstruo »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:I think for the Argentines to attack the falkland, they would need a really good plan with a high succes chance and most importantly, not to take too high casualties. I think that the argentines could take the islands by force, but that would cost them. Despite the British navy stationed there, they have an armed force that is capable of dealing alot of damage to a landing party and to slow down and invasion until reinforcements arrive. It would be very unpopular in argentine if a invasion cost lots of lives during the invasion stage, so they would need to sieze the islands fast and with little bloodshed, maybe and nightly suprise airborne assult and landing on the islands while simultaneously securing the sea and air space. I don't think Argentine has such an capability.
either way theyd have to annihilate the british air and naval forces there then victory is theirs.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

elmonstruo wrote:
Hullu Hevonen wrote:I think for the Argentines to attack the falkland, they would need a really good plan with a high succes chance and most importantly, not to take too high casualties. I think that the argentines could take the islands by force, but that would cost them. Despite the British navy stationed there, they have an armed force that is capable of dealing alot of damage to a landing party and to slow down and invasion until reinforcements arrive. It would be very unpopular in argentine if a invasion cost lots of lives during the invasion stage, so they would need to sieze the islands fast and with little bloodshed, maybe and nightly suprise airborne assult and landing on the islands while simultaneously securing the sea and air space. I don't think Argentine has such an capability.
either way theyd have to annihilate the british air and naval forces there then victory is theirs.
not necessarily, if the Infantry have supplies to hold out until reinforcements arrive, they could still have a chance
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
elmonstruo
Warrant Officer

Post by elmonstruo »

they would but they would likely be overwhelmed by sheer numbers and they would be getting bombed from the air as welll
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

The Argies had numerical and air superiority and were supplied during the Falklands War and still lost. They had a carrier then, they don't have one now.
elmonstruo
Warrant Officer

Post by elmonstruo »

but the brits had an entire naval task force with them plus air support im talking about if the air and naval support for the brits was wiped out the argies would overwhelm them
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

elmonstruo wrote:but the brits had an entire naval task force with them plus air support im talking about if the air and naval support for the brits was wiped out the argies would overwhelm them

They could maybe take the RAF out of the fight if they could hit the base with a surprise attack. But at most it would remove brit air support. The ships and ground based ADA would be able to protected the sky's. But knock out the local RN assets before reinforcements arrive, I doubt it. The brits have at least one SSNK there and look what happened last time the argies went up against one of those.
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

Unfortunatly for the argies, they no longer have any amphibious assault ships. The San Blas is a container ship, the Costa Sur's are converted MV's and the Hércules is a type 42 destroyer.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Col_Travis wrote:Unfortunatly for the argies, they no longer have any amphibious assault ships. The San Blas is a container ship, the Costa Sur's are converted MV's and the Hércules is a type 42 destroyer.
not that big of a problem, Making a improve Amphibious assailt ship is not that hard. Hell we in South africa sail with 4 small boats on our frigats when we go on anti piracy ops, put the same tech on a cargo ship you got your assault ship. Rember they dont need to sail far.

CPO Mzinyati
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

SoB wrote:
Col_Travis wrote:Unfortunatly for the argies, they no longer have any amphibious assault ships. The San Blas is a container ship, the Costa Sur's are converted MV's and the Hércules is a type 42 destroyer.
not that big of a problem, Making a improve Amphibious assailt ship is not that hard. Hell we in South africa sail with 4 small boats on our frigats when we go on anti piracy ops, put the same tech on a cargo ship you got your assault ship. Rember they dont need to sail far.
Only about 500-600km
Happy Linux user!
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

And you need a semi-freindly port without a SSN patrolling nearby.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Col_Travis wrote:And you need a semi-freindly port without a SSN patrolling nearby.

Why a SSN? The distance is short and it is in shallow a good SSK would be ok.

Did not the original garrison damage a argie ship when it entered the harbor.

CPO Mzinyati
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

SoB wrote:
Col_Travis wrote:And you need a semi-freindly port without a SSN patrolling nearby.

Why a SSN? The distance is short and it is in shallow a good SSK would be ok.

Did not the original garrison damage a argie ship when it entered the harbor.
The Royal Navy no longer has any SSK's and hasn't been developing any SSI's. They would only have if they were sent by Canada, Australia, Singapore or South Africa and the later two are probably not an option.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

I though you where talking about it in a generally needing a SSN.

CPO Mzinyati
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

If the argies could take out the RN's SSN and the RAF then they would have a chance at taking the Falklands. But are they prepared for a possible invasion from Britians ally, Brazil?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Happy Linux user!

Return to “Off Topic Comments”