10 Years...after

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

bergsjaeger
General

10 Years...after

Post by bergsjaeger »

Its the 10th anny of the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks on the USA. Not much has changed since that day, other than the US in wars everywhere.

I was in college at that time. Sat there in class listening to people talk about a bombing. After classes and on my way home I listened to the radio and thought what in the world is happening. When I got home, I turnd on the news and thought on my god. Then realized the US is going to war with who ever was responsible. Sadly I was right with that last thought. 100's of thousands have died due to war since that day.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Re: 10 Years...after

Post by Chesehead »

And thousands of lives have been saved since then.

I was in 3rd grade, and my parents didn't tell me on the way to school. So everyone was saying we were bombed. Since I didn't know it was terrorists, I thought it was the Russians nuking us, and we were near a somewhat large city that may have been a target.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

I for one am thankful that the war is in some other poor b*******'s back yard then ours. If it is a choice between the two, the answer is obvious. God bless our nation and God bless all of mankind. We shall overcome.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Can remember getting home from School (Was in 14 at the time) my mother was watching the news... we just stood there shocked. Me and my Dad just knew that the Brits were also going to war with whoever started it... There was alot of Anti-Muslim thinking with the students at my old school... But we didn't have many.

No matter what the more liberal people say I think the US and Britain were right to go to war with Afghanistan...
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

Xbwalker wrote:I for one am thankful that the war is in some other poor b*******'s back yard then ours. If it is a choice between the two, the answer is obvious. God bless our nation and God bless all of mankind. We shall overcome.
It's not (a choice between those two).

But I assume this thread is not intended to devolve into a discussion about the US' official reaction, but accounts of how we personally percieved it?
That's an interesting concept and I'm happy to share:

When it happened, I was on a school trip in Tuscany, sitting in front of a small bungalow, reading a book. My only memory of the day itself is looking at a postmark-sized TV in another bungalow (someone had brought it along) at something smoking with a group of other students. Not understanding a word of what was being said and nobody really grasping what was happening I shrugged and returned to the book. My memory sucks, so I don't know much about the time after anymore, but I believe I didn't fully learn what had happend until a few days later when we returned home and my parents filled me in.

I'm not a very emotional person anyway and the distance probably shielded me even more from the emotional impact of that day. So I have never been able to understand or agree with the "MURDER THEM BACK!"-crowd. My boyfriend on the other hand (who I didn't know back then), despite not being American, has always been a fanatic fan of the US and spent the day crying in front of the TV. He is still very much affected by what happened then, both in his political views and his emotional condition.

It was a horrible day, just made worse by all the wrong actions and reactions following it, but to me it was a normal day until a few days later. I'm actually quite glad about that.
fool
General

Post by fool »

Locked within a week, I bet.
"All warfare is based on deception...
Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

As long as it doesn't decend into a slanging match between whos right and whos wrong I don't see why...

I stated what I was doing at the time and what I believed.

I'm sure if everyone does this same it won't really be a problem.
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Xbwalker
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Xbwalker »

Yeah I'm not much of a post flamer so I hope it doesn't get locked. Anyhow, iuvart, if someone attacked your country and killed thousands of innocent people, what would your reaction be?
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

Xbwalker wrote:Yeah I'm not much of a post flamer so I hope it doesn't get locked. Anyhow, iuvart, if someone attacked your country and killed thousands of innocent people, what would your reaction be?
I'd be willing to discuss that outside of this thread. Wouldn't want to hijack it with the kind of discussion the OP wants to avoid. ;)
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Xbwalker wrote:I for one am thankful that the war is in some other poor b*******'s back yard then ours. If it is a choice between the two, the answer is obvious. God bless our nation and God bless all of mankind. We shall overcome.

*sigh*

The war is everywhere now. The PATRIOT act is an aspect of the war influencing YOU.

As for the rest of the war, I don't see the aggressor, Saudi Arabia, being bombed. Instead, a secular dictatorship who equally hated Bin Laden and had the highest literacy and women's rights in the middle east was bombed... hmm what was its name... Iraq?
The Abu Dubai-based Information & Technology Publishing's online magazine offers an Aug. 14 story by Rhys Jones, "Wronging Iraq’s rights," that paints a dire picture of the kind of oppressive theocracy that could be enshrined by the new constitution. The Aug. 15 deadline for the new charter has now been extended. But unless sweeping changes are made, "it seems increasingly likely to mean a huge erosion of human rights for Iraq’s 13 million women."

As it now stands, the new constitution (written by a committee of 46 men and nine women) overturns Iraq's secular 1959 civil status law and instates a system under which "personal status" (family law relating to marriage, divorce, custody, widowhood and inheritance) would be determined according to the different versions of shariah, according to which sect the citizen adheres to.

Rights campaigners in Iraq say the measure would effectively strip women of any notion of equality before the law. It would legalize polygamy; divorce by "talaq (under which a man may divorce his wife only by stating three times "I divorce you"); honour killings; stoning and public beheadings of women for adultery.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The war in Iraq is not a direct cause of 9-11. It could have happened even if the WTC attacks had not.

No more discussion of Iraq in this thread or it's closed, that's a discussion for another thread.

I believe Canada made the correct choice in participating in Afghanistan post 9-11.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Balthagor wrote:The war in Iraq is not a direct cause of 9-11. It could have happened even if the WTC attacks had not.
That is absolutely correct.

I was disturbed by this gentleman's thankfulness of "war happening somewhere else", which is, by very law of causality, absolute bullspit.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Balthagor wrote:The war in Iraq is not a direct cause of 9-11. It could have happened even if the WTC attacks had not.

No more discussion of Iraq in this thread or it's closed, that's a discussion for another thread.
Chuckle
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Fine, I'll bite. What's so funny?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:Fine, I'll bite. What's so funny?
Gonna take a guess and say, the fact that a portion of the public support for action in Iraq was from misinformed individuals who believed that Iraq was directly involved in 9/11. With out 9/11 the public support of that war would have likely been low enough to give the administration pause. Not to mention the Iraq war was touted as a centerpiece for the war on terror. ""We're fighting them there, so we don't have to fight them here."

Check this out.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... iraq_x.htm

:wink:

(of course were talking about TK so I could be way off base)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace

Return to “Off Topic Comments”