Chinese becoming a Super Power?

Off Topic Comments Area

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Chinese becoming a Super Power?

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

CptBritish wrote:Yes it would give them much increased military influence in the area, but as much as I hate bigging the American's up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... enth_Fleet this is not really far away and would be at the back of any military commanders mind wanting to "Control" the area as this would beable to suppress all the native fleets in the area should sh*t hit the fan.

I'm also not stupid enough to think that the American's would risk war with China over a few relatively insignificant islands (Unless oil is found in significant amounts). But I think the fleet commander would deploy even if it was just in a defensive stance if the Chinese went to invade Taiwan, The Philippines, Vietnam etc

Meh I don't know... we'll see I suppose. I just personally don't think China can really be called a Superpower yet.
Currently it would be a thigh fight between China vs Philippines, ROC, Vietnam, Malaysia. But a sign that you yourself point out is that when an air craft carrier comes into the area, then Philippines, ROC, Vietnam, Malaysia will become depended on US support(another super power's support). Sure this doesn't threaten any great power. Ou, btw do USA don't have a defence treaty with Philippines? I don't either think the US would involve itself in this conflict, but China could use it as a testing ground to push US buttons to see how much China can provoke the US.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:Currently it would be a thigh fight between China vs Philippines, ROC, Vietnam, Malaysia. But a sign that you yourself point out is that when an air craft carrier comes into the area, then Philippines, ROC, Vietnam, Malaysia will become depended on US support(another super power's support). Sure this doesn't threaten any great power. Ou, btw do USA don't have a defence treaty with Philippines? I don't either think the US would involve itself in this conflict, but China could use it as a testing ground to push US buttons to see how much China can provoke the US.
Well It would all depend - I think - on the US Predident in charge at the time and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A Liberal President might choose to sort it out with words were as a more hardline President would give a show of force even if it was just something like what they did with the South Koreans, A Joint Naval Exercise. Even without a bullet been fired the Americans could say "Look we ARE prepared to defend our allies".

But if the American's choose to sort out China with words rather than the positioning of its fleets I think it could rapidly break down the worlds trust the "American Defense Umbrella". Where as I think the Countries of Europe would beable to put up a combined fight against threats from the East the small democracies of the East would be forced to look to China and Russia for leadership because who knows the American's might say its not worth it to help them next?

I love debates like this. Where nobody actually knows the answer but we can all just discuss our personal thoughts :-)
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Chinese report that their relations has improved with ROC/Taiwan
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/p ... 075001.htm
Or is it?
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/c ... 071583.htm

Improved military relations with DPRK
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/p ... 076825.htm

Some other things might be improving
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/c ... 071785.htm
Happy Linux user!
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

We would get involved. The area is a prime trading area with roughly two trillion in goods that moves through it. US policy seems to be controling geopoltical choke points such as the strights of bosperus, the suez canal etc. Besides are current policy is to contain chinese expansion and thats worked so far with reaching out to vietnam and standing by the phillipines.

I'm more concerned with the growing chinese nuke arsenal. I can't post the link to the washington post artical but its pretty insightful about their growing capabilities.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Chesehead wrote:We would get involved. The area is a prime trading area with roughly two trillion in goods that moves through it. US policy seems to be controling geopoltical choke points such as the strights of bosperus, the suez canal etc. Besides are current policy is to contain chinese expansion and thats worked so far with reaching out to vietnam and standing by the phillipines.

I'm more concerned with the growing chinese nuke arsenal. I can't post the link to the washington post artical but its pretty insightful about their growing capabilities.
I agree with you (If you can't tell already lol) i'm just offering what ifs for the sake of debate.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Chesehead wrote:We would get involved. The area is a prime trading area with roughly two trillion in goods that moves through it. US policy seems to be controling geopoltical choke points such as the strights of bosperus, the suez canal etc. Besides are current policy is to contain chinese expansion and thats worked so far with reaching out to vietnam and standing by the phillipines.

Well, I just hope i'm far away from the place where China decides to nuke. :-)
Happy Linux user!
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

However many nukes China has, the USA and other NATO members (combined) have more :D

The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

Between 1840 and 1949, China was attacked from the sea for more than 100 times and was forced to sign a string of unfair treaties due to maritime defense failures.
Well they have a right to own a few.
I cant play SR2020 well but I still love 2010. Chris will hate me for exploiting his game to death.
Date of Order: 2007-11-15 20:03
Product information:
Supreme Ruler 2010 (1 x 19.99 USD)
3 years baby
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Hmmm, the already tight PRC, strengthening it's grip on Chinese banks. I wonder if it is really a positive move or not, meaning does this economically benefit China and the world? And Ai Weiwei is defiant.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 53086.html
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011 ... nightmare/
Happy Linux user!
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Is the dollar under threat from the Yuan? I wonder, will Yuan replace the dollar in the future as world currency.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/08/3 ... GQ20110830
Happy Linux user!
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Happy Linux user!
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

The US takes satellite pictures of the new Chinese carrier, I don't really whats the fuzz, aren't they somehow allowed to have a carrier? Well if they want to become a super power, then why not? I am more worried with what actions they are doing, I mean, their build up in the south China sea, tension building with Vietnam and Philippines etc. I think the media is focusing on the wrong thing here.
Happy Linux user!
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Chinese economic influence spreads
Happy Linux user!
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

The PRC carrier was built in the USSR in 1988 and became part of the navy of the Ukraine and later sold to China to become a theme park. In violation to the treaty sighned with the Ukraine it was fitted out with the help of Russia for military purposes. This shows a disregard for international agreements that do not conform to the central commitees needs or desires.

Return to “Off Topic Comments”